Floyd install on a strat.... partscaster advice

FumHucka

I have an OFR pulled off an old kramer.

I have a MIM strat body

To get the action low, either a recessed route or an angled route of the neck pocket is necessary. if I go the angled neck pocket route, how many degree slope is needed?

(yes, I've considered shimming the neck, but it would require a LOT of shim, and I find with shims it creates a bit of upward slop of the last 8 frets or so, defeating the possibility of achieving low action)

Eagle1

Do you have a pillar drill?
You don't need to know the angle just make your neck pocket template big enough to shim and you will be able to get whatever angle you need.

kenneth

If you are doing the non-recessed floyd, I think most people use the shim. I have an original kramer from the early 80's, they even used shims from the factory. This way, you can adjust the shim based on how much pull up you really think you need on the floyd.

stratoskier

Do you have a pillar drill?
You don't need to know the angle just make your neck pocket template big enough to shim and you will be able to get whatever angle you need.
What type of bit would you use to get a clean neck pocket cut with a drill? Maybe a Forstner bit followed by clean up with other tools? I'm trying to understand how this would work for nicely cutting pockets as opposed to routing.

Eagle1

What type of bit would you use to get a clean neck pocket cut with a drill? Maybe a Forstner bit followed by clean up with other tools? I'm trying to understand how this would work for nicely cutting pockets as opposed to routing.
No I meant you need a piller drill for the posts as a precondition to even thinking about a Floyd installation, Frankly if you need to ask here you should probably take it to a tech. A Floyd install is no beginner job.

stratoskier

Ah, that makes more sense. I'm not the OP, but I wasn't clear what you were suggesting to him. And yes, I agree that this is precision work that can easily go awry. Neck pocket work makes me nervous, and I've done a fair bit of it.

I have an OFR pulled off an old kramer.

I have a MIM strat body

To get the action low, either a recessed route or an angled route of the neck pocket is necessary. if I go the angled neck pocket route, how many degree slope is needed?

(yes, I've considered shimming the neck, but it would require a LOT of shim, and I find with shims it creates a bit of upward slop of the last 8 frets or so, defeating the possibility of achieving low action)
I thought we had a truce on this.

No more converting Floyd guitars back into regular ones, and no hacking up non Floyd guitars unnecessarily when there's a surplus of nice Floyd guitars out there.

I don't mean any disrespect but let's don't start doing this again.

War stinks. Don't do it.

cardinal

I'd vote for a full-pocket tapered shim. That should relief concern about the last eight frets warping and gets the neck angle you need.

Trending Topics