Floyd replacment

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by unkindone, Mar 1, 2008.

1. unkindone

unkindone Member

pretty sure this has been asked multiple times...but couldn't find in search my exact question...

is their an option to switch out a huge clunky floyd rose with something a lot lower profile like a regular type tremolo? without altering the routing or revealing it to much...whats out there? :D

2. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

3. unkindone

unkindone Member

thanks! how come the schaller sounds bad?? in what sense:horse

4. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Rollers suck tone ,you could get one and change the saddles for some solid ones .Then you just have the zinc block to worry about .
    A vintage non fine tuning OFR would relay be a better option.

5. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

FWIW I have one of those schallers on one of my guitars and I find nothing offensive about the way it sounds. Despite what people think my opinion is the pickup in a guitar is 80% of the guitars sound anyway and the other 20% is the wood,bridge, etc...

6. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Put some solid saddles on it and listen again and I'm sure you will prefer it.
    Pickups can't pickup what's not happening.

7. unkindone

unkindone Member

looks like schaller makes another low profile floyd replacement without roller saddles , maybe ill check that out :MMM

8. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

"Relay"can we have a link to the one you mean.

9. tonio19

tonio19 Member

Has anybody tried the Trem-King ? I am pondering a Warmoth build pretty soon, and am looking for a Floyd alternative as well. Although I do have an Ibanez with an Original Floyd which I like ok. I too am wondering about the block material, is is steel, Like what Callaham uses for their blocks...? or is the cheaper tone sucking zinc/steel used...? Anybody...? Tony.

10. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Gotoh 510TS .
    Wilkinson VS400
    Hipshot
    All the above have steel block and two posts ,with spezel's they are a viable alternative to a floyd
    As good as the Callerham is ,he doesn't make a two post version so if you can live with the considerable added friction in the six screw design these are good sounding also.