Floyd replacment

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by unkindone, Mar 1, 2008.

  1. unkindone

    unkindone Member

    Messages:
    106
    Joined:
    May 27, 2007
    pretty sure this has been asked multiple times...but couldn't find in search my exact question...


    is their an option to switch out a huge clunky floyd rose with something a lot lower profile like a regular type tremolo? without altering the routing or revealing it to much...whats out there? :D
     
  2. Eagle1

    Eagle1 Member

    Messages:
    8,677
    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2007
    Location:
    The Twilight Zone
  3. unkindone

    unkindone Member

    Messages:
    106
    Joined:
    May 27, 2007
    thanks! how come the schaller sounds bad?? in what sense:horse
     
  4. Eagle1

    Eagle1 Member

    Messages:
    8,677
    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2007
    Location:
    The Twilight Zone
    Rollers suck tone ,you could get one and change the saddles for some solid ones .Then you just have the zinc block to worry about .
    A vintage non fine tuning OFR would relay be a better option.
     
  5. carbz

    carbz Supporting Member

    Messages:
    4,497
    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    FWIW I have one of those schallers on one of my guitars and I find nothing offensive about the way it sounds. Despite what people think my opinion is the pickup in a guitar is 80% of the guitars sound anyway and the other 20% is the wood,bridge, etc...
     
  6. Eagle1

    Eagle1 Member

    Messages:
    8,677
    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2007
    Location:
    The Twilight Zone
    Put some solid saddles on it and listen again and I'm sure you will prefer it.
    Pickups can't pickup what's not happening.
     
  7. unkindone

    unkindone Member

    Messages:
    106
    Joined:
    May 27, 2007
    looks like schaller makes another low profile floyd replacement without roller saddles , maybe ill check that out :MMM
     
  8. Eagle1

    Eagle1 Member

    Messages:
    8,677
    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2007
    Location:
    The Twilight Zone
    "Relay"can we have a link to the one you mean.
     
  9. tonio19

    tonio19 Member

    Messages:
    273
    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2007
    Location:
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Has anybody tried the Trem-King ? I am pondering a Warmoth build pretty soon, and am looking for a Floyd alternative as well. Although I do have an Ibanez with an Original Floyd which I like ok. I too am wondering about the block material, is is steel, Like what Callaham uses for their blocks...? or is the cheaper tone sucking zinc/steel used...? Anybody...? Tony.
     
  10. Eagle1

    Eagle1 Member

    Messages:
    8,677
    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2007
    Location:
    The Twilight Zone
    Gotoh 510TS .
    Wilkinson VS400
    Hipshot
    All the above have steel block and two posts ,with spezel's they are a viable alternative to a floyd
    As good as the Callerham is ,he doesn't make a two post version so if you can live with the considerable added friction in the six screw design these are good sounding also.
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice