Floyd Rose 101

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Tone, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Tone

Tone Member

Hey guys.
    I've been wanting to put together a guitar that has a Floyd Rose. (most likely from Warmoth parts) I've never owned one before and I was wondering if you guys could give me some general info on what I would need as far as like neck pocket angle on the body, nut angle etc. Warmoth seems to offer the angled neck pocket, and both straight and angled nut work, but I'm not sure what I would need because I don't know what the purpose of the angle is. :)

I've put together other Strat's from parts but just regular 6 hole or two point trems, so nothing fancy. I wanted to build a Superstrat type for some EVH vibe.:AOK

Thanks!

2. Rocktrans formed

Rocktrans formed Member

Make sure you buy a Floyd Rose Original and not one of the crappy licensed ones. The licensed trems wear out over time because of a cheap knife edge and won't stay in tune.

3. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

-angled neck pocket if you like the bridge high (non-recessed)- my preference
    -flat for more Strat-like, non pitched-back neck with strings closer to the body- recess is likely needed for signicant upbends.
    -neck pocket depth is important- check the neck dimensions

4. Tone

Tone Member

Thanks guys.
    So Tone Terrific, I need the neck pocket angle if I want high action? If I just wanted the Floyd to be non-floating so I could use an EVH D-tuna, and I was getting a body from say, Warmoth, would I need the neck pocket to be angled?

5. deluxemeat

deluxemeat Member

make sure the floyd "original" isn't from ping!

6. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

High action- the fret to string height is not affected by neck to body angle, only the height of the strings (bridge) above the body.

Block the Floyd inside the cavity for stability. Try a maple block fitted between the "sustain" block and the body. Works for me. D-tuna should be A-OK.
    You can shim the neck pocket for angle, as required to position the bridge height, but a precision routing is nice.

7. Tone

Tone Member

Okay guys I'm totally lost. :D

Let's say I'm going for regular action, or lowest without any sloppy buzzing. I get a body with the neck pocket angle so I don't need shims, and routed for non-recessed floyd. How would I go about setting this floyd, body, and neck up so It's flush/non-floating, and so I can use an EVH D-Tuna? I'm trying to figure out how to get it flush/non floating without blocking it from the trem cavity. Anyone happen to have pictures of theirs?

I've seen some that are non floating and the back of the bridge is touching down on the body, but the front of the bridge is just slightly up because of the way those knife edges sit on the posts. Is this the ideal way to set them? I was looking at these seen here: www.cloneguitars.com Seems to be back at a slight angle instead of the whole thing sitting totally flat and flush. Plus, is'nt there the bottom of the saddle screws under there that would dig into the wood?

Thanks!

8. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

The tail of the FR bridge, normally, WILL sit above the body.
    The neck angle determines how high.
    Usually the bridge base plate is parallel to the body or the strings or in-between;) .
    Another way to block it would be to use one of those trem disabling gadgets. Get to a music store and handle a few if you haven't really taken a good look.

9. Tone

Tone Member

So it's not usually possible to get it to sit flush and not float with the use of one of those tremblockers or blocking from the trem cavity? Yeah I tried to check out all the ones locally but they were all recessed. The best pictures of what I'm trying to describe so far are those guitars on the link I posted. I also seen some other pictures elsewhere that definitely look like they're sitting flush, or with the back touching and the front just slightly up and higher, but I can't tell for sure from the pictures.

Thanks for the help man, I really appreciate it!:RoCkIn

10. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Supporting Member

You can set it flush and not have to use a block. I'm not sure if this requires a special route at the body (so that the base of the floyd has something to sit on.) But this is how EBMM Axisesses :D and EVH's are setup. If you have an EBMM dealer nearby, go examine an Axis. The base of the Floyd sits flush to, and parallel with, the face of the body. FWIW, my EBMM EVH has a neck shim. They don't all have them, but don't be too put off if you end up having to use a shim to get a better angle going.

11. Tone

Tone Member

Thanks for the info!
    I wish I could find an Axis to look at! :) Might have only seen one in stock, but back then I did'nt care for knowing about a Floyd. :D

12. Shredcow

Shredcow Member

Hmmm... I find it weird to have a Floyd Rose that is not floating, or in dive-only function.

You can't do whammy vibrato for one. When you dive (abusive type), a floyd doesn't return to 100% pitch (more like 96% or something really tiny) and doing a quick small pull up will return the floyd to 100%.

Of course, a floating trem will not allow for a d-tuna to be used but there are after market products available, such as the Tremol-no, that will allow you to detune. Great product btw, that tremol-no.

Of the Floyd Roses out there, you might want to consider the Gotoh Floyd Rose. It is an EXCELLENT licensed floyd rose with many improvements over the Original design. Plus its like what, USD125 for the chrome one. Best arm holder design IMO.
    In my experience with the Gotoh, its tough, you can tighten the string locks hard without fear of stripping anything, the intonation screws hold down well, the baseplate is hardened (can't rem the term but its the same as the OFR) steel so you wouldn't strip the baseplate (unlike Schaller licensed floyds, ugh) when intonating the floyd.
    One major plus point, is that the Gotoh has locking trem posts, like the Ibanez Edge. Any movement is detrimental to a locking trem system so the locking trem posts are that extra bit to get you a killer stable system.
    Function wise, it performed like it should. Super stable. On par with another OFR killer, the Ibanez Edge trem.

Thats a long post... phew...