Floyd Rose, a question.....

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by LongLiveGuitar, Mar 20, 2020.

1. LongLiveGuitar

LongLiveGuitar Member

I have two very cool guitars that are EVH Wolfgang Specials and both are keepers. However, they have top mount Floyd Rose trems and I like recessed terms more better. But, I have learned to love and appreciate the top mount Floyds on these particular guitars.

Has anyone ever converted a top mount Floyd to a recessed Floyd? Can it be done? I would only convert one of the guitars. Is it blasphemy ?

2. gunslinger

gunslinger Member

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you talking about routing out underneath the Floyd Rose so that you can do pull ups on the bar? If yes I suppose it can be done. But it's kind of involved. Maybe you'd be better off buying another guitar with this feature already present.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  3. wox

wox Supporting Member

Anything is possible, but it's messy.

Since a fully recessed FR sits below the face of the guitar, it requires a flatter neck angle. You could possibly use a neck-side shim or (maybe) alter the neck pocket of the guitar, but that can create more problems.

If you just want the extended pull up range, you could easily add a recess behind a top-mount FR to give it more upward range.

4. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

I’ve done it on a project guitar body. Yes, it can be done, but personally, I’d leave your Wolfgang’s stock and buy another guitar with the route you want. Messing with your current guitars would really devalue them if you want to sell one day.

superstratjunky likes this.
  5. xzacx

xzacx Member

Jackson used to do this from the factory—best of both worlds IMO since it still has the feel of a top mount, but the extra range if you want it. That said, it’s obviously best done from the start, otherwise you’ll either have an unfinished area, need a refinish, or have to some up with some other makeshift solution to make it look cleaner.

[​IMG]

6. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

This.

Recessing the Floyd will change the geometry of the whole guitar. Unless you really know what you're doing I would advise against it.

7. superstratjunky

superstratjunky Member

The only way I'd advise you to go through with it, is if that neck is your "Holy Grail" shape. Otherwise, go try as many recessed guitars as you can.

8. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

At the opposite end of the scale, the other issue is the top mount Floyd may make it harder to set the neck and require more of a shim. The luthier that I use (who also works on all of Alex Lifeson’s guitars) installed Floyds on both of my CS guitars and actually recommended this as it is much easier to set up the neck. The thing that he had to make sure to put in was the correct trem block to match the lowered height. Other than that, they turned out incredible! You can’t even tell that it wasn’t from factory, including the nut. Using someone competent, highly skilled and experienced as well as detail oriented to do this is a must.

I really like the recessed mount. My John Cruz masterbuilt Tele has this as well.

monty and milli vanilli like this.
  9. milli vanilli

milli vanilli Member

If you ended up digging these trems I'd leave well enough alone. I'm sure you could find someone to route and recess (provided the EVH branded bridge will actually function recessed, in which case you need a new Floyd altogether), make sure the neck is still right etc... but that seems like a whole lot to me. Those pickups...are they adjustable? I seem to remember they aren't... so once you drop the bridge you may find yourself with pups that are too high? Plus you will lose the D-Tuna in all of that. Seems like a whole lot of unknown that needs to be known before firing up the router LOL

monty and LongLiveGuitar like this.
  10. CanuckChris

CanuckChris Member

It's your guitar, nobody is going to stop you from doing it, but as pointed out, it's likely a job you'd want a pro to take on. Steps involved (after stripping the guitar of all parts:

1. Remove FR mounting studs.
    2. Use a template to route out FR recess
    3. Drill deeper stud mount holes. Note: you may have to fill and redrill the holes if removing them left them too loose to securely hold the studs.
    4. Reroute the neck pocket flat. Your existing neck pocket will have an angle to it, like Gibson guitars, to account for the higher mounting angle of the top mounted FR. You may also need to build up the neck pocket with shims depending how far down the route goes.
    5. The pups which are direct mount may sit too high now and the pup routes may require additional routing to let them sit low enough.
    6. Put it back together, and likely take it apart again for further tweaking.

It's really not for the faint of heart, and to be honest, the feel of the guitar is definitely going to change. Really really think this one through!

11. icr

icr Member

You certainly would not want to mess up your guitar with modifications like this guy did...
    [​IMG]

monty, flysky578, PBGas and 2 others like this.
  12. Perfect Fifth of Whiskey

Perfect Fifth of Whiskey Member

Doesn't work for me because of the shallower neck angle required to accomodate the lower bridge. I haven't played a Floyd guitar in a long time, but when I was playing San Dimas Soloists I particularly liked the surface mounted Floyd and corresponding neck angle because it resulted in "more air" under the strings. So I guess the question comes down to, "Do you like the strings closer to the face of the guitar?". It's a matter of taste but I once had a Gibson Nighthawk (no trem) that was practically unplayable because the strings were about 3/8" off the face of the guitar and I just couldn't grab 'em!

Tone_Terrific and LongLiveGuitar like this.
  13. LongLiveGuitar

LongLiveGuitar Member

Thanks for all the advice. Thats why I asked because I knew I was missing aspects I hadn't thought of. I'll leave my Wolfgangs as they are. Great players, great tone. Though I do think the all gold with maple fretboard has the fatter tone. The Stealth with ebony fretboard sounds a bit thinner comparitively.

monty likes this.
  14. DonP

DonP Member

I like both, but maybe give a slight edge to un-recessed Floyds.

Back in 1990, when I didn't know better, I free-hand recessed a Kahler 2700 Killer (not a flat mount). Turned out descent enough, still own it and it sounds / plays great.

15. monty

monty Member

Very good point about the pickups, not a lot of wiggle room in the Wolfgangs.

milli vanilli likes this.
  16. sahhas

sahhas Member

I’m sure it can be done, but not sure it would be the wisest decision. If you have the tools, alll u need to do is take everything off body and route behind the trem so it could have pull-up range of motion. But I think the thing is for an EVH guitar- it’s made to his specifications, he prefers the down trem only. Not sure what this would do for your resale value . If it were me, I’d just get a different FR guitar that has full range trem motion.
    But as stated, it is your guitar.
    Good luck!

17. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I got the Floyd on my EBMM Axis set up to float. The tech shimmed the neck and raised the bridge. My next bastardization will be to put a Lok 'n Roll compensated nut on it. :dude

monty, pentatonicwanker and T Dizz like this.
  18. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

Interested to hear more about how that works out!

19. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

I have an EVH striped and RAISED the bridge, shimmed up the neck angle to allow some up and down vib action.
    I like the strings well off of the face (LP style).
    Works fine, easy mod, you may have to shim up the pup mount, too.

monty and pentatonicwanker like this.
  20. donnievaz

donnievaz Member

Are you using D-Tuna's on these? That's why they're down only. The D-Tuna will not work on a full floating trem.