Floyd Rose and drop D tuning woes

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Wickerman, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Wickerman

Wickerman Member

Hi guys,

I am having issues setting up my FR to maintain drop D tuning when I use the whammy bar. It's a Floyd Rose "Pro" bridge currently set up to fully float and the guitar has a behind-the-bridge rout.

All the strings have been well stretched and played in by now. What I'm trying to do is set it up in drop-D with enough play in the fine tuner to bring it up to normal tuning for those songs that require it. The thing is that after tuning (which remains quite stable with gentle vibrato) as soon as I use a divebomb the low D comes back up a whole tone to an E! I just spent 5 full minutes continually re-stretching the string and retuning to D but every single time the pitch comes back to E. What gives? I just don't understand this.

Hope someone can shed some light on it. Thanks in advance.

2. cram

cram Member

how's that clamp mechanism on the nut treating you? It sounds as if the tension between the nut and tuning peg is pulling you back up.

3. Wickerman

Wickerman Member

Yeah, you could be right. I just spent some time stretching the portion of the string between the locknut and the tuning machine, had another go and after a bit more stretching it now seems to be stable on a low D. Bit of a fight though. I didn't think stretching behind the locknut was so important. :eek:

4. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

This is not possible with the bridge floating.
    If you set it up for standard E the tension of the overall strings will not be the same as drop D making the other strings go sharp by a small amount ,but probably more than the fine tuners can cope with . This is not a fault with anything just the fact that drop D upsets the equilibrium of the strings to springs . The solution is down bend only like EVH.

5. cram

cram Member

EVH also used that D-Tuner thing for a spell. but, yes - much like breaking a string with a floyd, you are knocked out when one changes the harmony of the float.

I got tired of floating trems for this reason. it seemed like a novelty for the music I was playing so I keep them flat against the body.

6. Wickerman

Wickerman Member

Ah, OK then. Thanks for that info.