Floyd Rose guitars (the brand, not the trem system) - why no love?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by PatriotBadger, Dec 7, 2016.

1. PatriotBadger

PatriotBadger Member

Every couple of days there is a thread akin to "What's the best Floyd Rose guitar I can get for about $500?". The list usually includes used bits, closeout guitars, and budget shredders that for your $500 get you into something with a FR Special and possibly other questionable hardware.

In the meantime, the Floyd Rose site lists several guitars with various finishes and colors, pickup configs, aesthetics, and control layouts with FR 1000 series trem systems - a definite step-up from the FR Special - all hovering around $500.

No one ever mentions these at all, much less discusses them. Even the great wide interwebz knows nothing about them. Where's the love? Is it the funky/different headstocks or pickguard designs?

2. Digidog

Digidog Member

I didn't know FR made guitars; I think most people get in touch with FR through dealers and luthiers, not from the source itself.

I am quite sure that someone here will know, and that the total knowledge here about FR guitars is vast.

3. Bluplirst

Bluplirst Supporting Member

The new rail tail trem looks interesting...

4. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

I never really consider their guitars because I've never even seen one in person, so I don't know how they play, what they sound like, etc. Too many unknowns for me. Most people probably don't even realize that FR makes actual guitars. So it really makes more sense to see more suggestions of Jackson, Dean, Schecter, etc FR equipped guitars, as those are brands everyone is familiar with, and you can go into any Guitar Center and try them out.

5. ksandvik

ksandvik Member

Agree, it those were available for testing, that would be a start.

6. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

I've never seen one in the wild. Sam Ash has one listed on their used site, but that's as close as I've come.
    Then again, I saw one listed on CL, but it looked dodgy.

I'm better off using vibrato bridges anyway.

KbD

update: Right now there are 3 at GC, and 2 at Sam Ash

7. PatriotBadger

PatriotBadger Member

I've got one en route right now, and International OT-1. I figured for the price I don't have much to lose. What little I have found about them has been positive. We'll see.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  8. RayBarbeeMusic

RayBarbeeMusic Member

That. You'd think they'd learn from Carvin. Same thing with Marshall Astorias.

9. TrevorW

TrevorW Supporting Member

I recall their early models used a bastard string that were only available thru them and were fairly expensive if I remember, around $30 a set...

jmoose likes this.
  10. PatriotBadger

PatriotBadger Member

Yeah, that was the Speedloader system. A brilliant piece of engineering and innovation, yet at the same time a terrible idea due to the requirement of proprietary strings which they didn't even make themselves. As soon as they decided to release that system, they sentenced themselves to a lot of PO'd owners and plague-like avoidance in the used market.

milli vanilli and jmoose like this.
  11. TrevorW

TrevorW Supporting Member

Yep, that's the one...

12. s2y

s2y Member

I like the idea of the Speedloader system. My Steinberger is FAST for string changes, but I'm tied to the calibrated Trans Trem strings. I would have thought Speedloader compatible with standard strings would have been the ideal system since you could restring quickly if needed or use other strings.

13. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Silver Supporting Member

Speedloader sets of strings are now as rare as Allan Holdsworth playing his original signature Carvin. A shame really, because the concept of the tremolo was fantastic.

jmoose likes this.
  14. CubanB

CubanB Member

For me, it's a bit like Ibanez Tubescreamer amps. It could be ok, but there's better options, from people who've been doing it longer. It's like they are trying to cash in on their reputation for one thing and transfer it to something else. They could be good, but it's not the kind of thing where I feel I am missing out by not trying it out. There's already plenty of stuff out there already. There's already way too much gas, way too many guitar or amp companies, and not enough space to keep all the stuff you buy (in my case anyway).

jmoose likes this.
  15. Freddyzone

Freddyzone Member

Was it Ritchie Sambora or Joe Perry who played Floyd Rose guitars at some point in the late 90s?

16. jmoose

jmoose Member

I've seen & played a handful of speedloaders... Marking this for later comment.

17. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

Which seems to be rare enough as it is. I've never been able to do a string change and have the setup 'stick', regardless of which (of the two that exist) brands I use.

18. Dumdeediddle

Dumdeediddle Member

I had one. What a great little Guitar it was. Very nice. Sounded good, played good. Lightweight. As good as some of the so-called "A-list" brands.
    Guitar was so reasonably priced I went ahead and bought 10 sets of Speedloaders at the same time. (that would be 2 lifetimes of string changes for me). When it came time to sell, I think I had 7 or 8 sets left so that was a good sales incentive.

19. stratoskier

stratoskier Member

jmoose likes this.
  20. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I just thought they looked odd. I mean I'd rather they have more wood at the headstock.

[​IMG]

I've never played one though.

CubanB and highfidelity66 like this.