Floyd Rose...HELP!!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by AaeCee, Jun 19, 2006.

1. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I opened my big mouth and told a friend to bring over his long abandoned guitar, and I'd restring it in a jiffy. Much to my alarm, it has a Floyd Rose! I've never attempted to restring one, and don't even know what some parts do (those adjustment thingies on the bridge). Does anyone have a quick and easy set of instrux? Many thanks, AC

2. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

3. K-man

K-man Member

It's been about 14 years since I owned a Floyd, but I'll try.

1. Remove the 3 screws at the locking nut.
    2. Detension the strings so they don't wack you in the eye when you go to take them off. You may want to change the strings one at a time to keep the bridge somewhat stable.
    3. The screws to take the strings out of the bridge are the ones sticking out the back of the bridge (in line with the strings). Loosen them to take the old strings out, but be careful. There is a little metal block in between the screw and the string that can fall out and is a pain in the ass to get back in.
    4. Cut the balls off the new strings, insert that end of the string between the little metal block and front of the bridge, and tighten the screw that holds the string in.
    5. Wind the string around the tuner and tune to pitch.
    6. When you've replaced all six strings, tune to pitch about 800 times.
    7. Reinstall the locking nut.
    8. The little metal thingies on top of the bridge are for fine tuning. Usually you need to adjust them as the locking nut can cause the strings to go slightly sharp.
    9. Pat yourself on the back and grap a cold one. You earned it.

4. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

One thing I'd like to add (even though the directions on the floyd rose website don't agree) is that it seems to me that if you only do one clamp at a time (so for a 6 string, the E-A first, D-G second and B-E last) the guitar stays in tune MUCH better. Hope that helps. Everything else above seems pretty good though. Just remember once you lock the clamps on the neck, the string will go a bit sharp. :AOK

5. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Thanks guys. Got it done, and it came out fine. I always thought I'd hate FRs, now I know I do! AC

6. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

I've got two Floyd-equipped guitars. They're not all that hard to change strings. Here's a couple pointers some smart guys gave me:

Put the strings on "backwards." IOW, thread the string through the string tree so the ball end is towards the headstock. That way, you only have to clip the string once instead of twice.

Before you start to change the strings, depress the whammy bar and wedge a 9-volt battery in between the tremolo unit and the body of the guitar. It makes the strings much easier to work with during string removal.

FWIW, I don't change the strings one at a time. I remove all six strings and do the regular maintenance to frets & fretboard. I've never noticed any difficulty in tuning afterward. Remember that the strings will strech (just like on any other guitar) and don't be in a hurry to tighten the locking nut.