Floyd Rose on a Strat - time for a new body?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 4b454e, Jun 24, 2019.

1. DonP

DonP Member

Sorry, but I want Floyds in all my Strats too. I may just do it myself with a drill and router.

For you, that's a tough call. Maybe the body wood is weak and just can't hold the bushing? Jackson/Charvel solved this in the 80's by using an oversized bushing for their basswood bodies to spread the load.

I don't know if I'd glue in a dowel and re-drill, or what. I've done this repair on a body back in the 90s and it's held (still play it today), but I can't remember if I filled in with a block of wood or what.

4b454e likes this.
  2. 83stratman

83stratman Supporting Member

Yep. Any one using epoxy on a guitar doesn't know what they are doing. A crack in this spot isn't that rare, and the repair is relatively simple and stable when someone who knows what they are doing does it. Now that it is gooped with epoxy, a correct repair is more time consuming, which will require getting the expoxy out or cutting out the wood in that area and replacing it. If the guitar is sentimental like you seem to indicate, I would find a new "guy" and get it fixed right. A new body will make it a different guitar in most ways.

4b454e and sahhas like this.
  3. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

pictures would help. i'm not sure why someone would epoxy the repair as someone stated above.
    can't you just drill out problem, put a dowel rod in with wood glue, make sure it sets, then sand down and redo the post?
    that would seem like a better solution to me than getting a new body.
    it's a bummer that whoever fixed it originally didn't do a great job....
    good luck.

4b454e likes this.
  4. 4b454e

4b454e Member

Easily worth the $10 to send them the posts and have them install!

big mike likes this.
  5. 4b454e

4b454e Member

I don’t have the tools, much less the skills to do that!

This guitar was already plugged and re-drilled when I had the Floyd installed. I just don’t think it can take any more. I reckon I can put a fork in it :(

6. 4b454e

4b454e Member

I’m pretty sure he said he epoxied it but I could be mistaken. I know he said there was a big old crack and he shored it up.

It is sentimental to me because I’ve played it for over 20 years.
    Which says I should have just gotten a different guitar to scratch my itch for a Floyd...

It’s a drag because I know he is (or at least was) a very good tech. Maybe he’s slipping in his age.

7. 4b454e

4b454e Member

Just don’t know if it can take another plugging. (I feel like I may have said those words before in a completely different context :eek: )

8. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

I doubt it's his fault. Sometimes S happens. Keep the neck and such you like, get a new body and move on. Or fill the holes and go back to a strat bridge.

4b454e likes this.
  9. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Don't waste the money. IMO the tone usually follows the neck. Get a new body. be done with it.

4b454e and leonard d rock like this.
  10. DonP

DonP Member

If you start over, find a body color you like, make sure it is something stronger than basswood, and I personally think converting a v-trem is safer than a 2 point trem, because a 2 point already has a couple of large holes in it.

4b454e likes this.
  11. 4b454e

4b454e Member

12. donnievaz

donnievaz Member

I'd definitely go the Warmoth route with your existing neck. Warmoth has some absolutely gorgeous bodies that Fender can only dream of.

13. jvin248

jvin248 Member

Hop over to Stratosphere and find a Strat fixed bridge and route that for the Floyd, or find a Floyd-ready body, or a MIM Strat body to install the Floyd in.

14. Mikhael

Mikhael Member

Or put rock maple or oak dowels/blocks in that place and drill them for new inserts. I did that on my Hamer Chaparral (strat-style set neck), and it worked wonderfully.

4b454e likes this.
  15. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Supporting Member

One option is Gotoh plugs are deeper and maybe a bit tighter fit, unless they are the ones you already have.

https://www.ebay.ca/i/291834967160?chn=ps

I wouldn't worry about another plug, I've read glue is typically stronger than the wood it's holding. Personally I'd just try gluing in some tooth picks or something along those lines: all it has to do is hold the post.

4b454e likes this.
  16. 4b454e

4b454e Member

There’s a couple flat toothpicks in there now. Not glued at this point, I was just seeing if I could shim it for the meantime while I came here for some expert opinions ;)

17. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

OP this is similar to what happened to my '83 ESP strat. Had the guys at Guitarmann on the old 48th St, Manhattan install the Floyd. It served me well until a few years ago. I opened the case and all the strings were slack against the fretboard. The posts had broken off the body. I ordered a new body for it last year. Then I lost my job and it's been a open project. Happily working again so it should be a new old guitar day soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4b454e likes this.
  18. metrokosmiko

metrokosmiko Member

+1 to get a new body.

4b454e likes this.
  19. 4b454e

4b454e Member

20. DonP

DonP Member

Don't like recessed Floyds. Warmoth is $380 to spec my body - $175 for the body, $195 for black paint. Too much.

4b454e likes this.