Floyd Rose Posts+Bushes for a Peavey Wolfgang

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by DrBob, May 15, 2008.

1. DrBob

DrBob Member

Hi,

Right here's the deal.

I've got a bitsa Peavey Wolgang that I'm trying to build up into a whole guitar.
    The neck and body are from a USA Wolfgang Standard (flat top, solid colour)
    I've got a pair of Dimarzio's from an EBMM Axis SS, and a Schaller Floyd.

The only hindrance to getting this little beauty up and roaring is this.

I don't have the 2 pivot posts and the fluted bushings that go into the body.
    I've bought some of these off of flea bay but the problem is that the bushings seem to either come in a 9 or 10mm diameter but the holes in the body seem to be nearer 8mm (hard to get an accurate measurement of a 'fluted' hole).

So does anyone know where I could lay my hands on some of these in the correct size ?

Thanks

2. GtrDr

GtrDr Member

Just open the holes in the body to accept the new bushings?

3. DrBob

DrBob Member

It's certainly an option, and thanks for responding.
    The only problem I can see with going down that route is that the 2 bushing holes are in a recessed channel routed out of the guitars top.
    That channel is only as wide as the diameter of the bushing holes, so enlarging the holes is going to result in them 'breaking out' of the recessed channel and into the top of the guitar which I've just had re-sprayed in a lovely purple colour.

Hmmmm

4. rob2001

rob2001 Member

5. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

The Schaller can work but it has a higher profile and a different intonation point in relation to the ping . I suggest you buy a ping or a Gotoh FR as it will work without shimming the neck or routing which you will need to do in order to use the Schaller and the studs on the ping will go right in.

6. Soapbarstrat

Soapbarstrat Senior Member

Seems Peavey should be willing to sell you some. I know one of my customers ordered a few of the clamp blocks for the crappy floyd copy on his Wolf Special, so why wouldn't they also see someone those bushings ?

I think the Peavey bushings are chrome plated brass, if I remember correctly. Worked on one where the post screws got real loose in the studs. So I pulled the studs out, cut the tapered end off, and put them back in up-side down. Seemed to do the trick. The guy had a massive thick shim in the neck pocket, which I think is why he made those posts scews and bushings go to hell, when he raised the bridge up so high.

7. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Like it or not the Ping Floyd is better made than the OFR is now .But I think the lock nut Peavey use is not the Ping as it is 15" Radius 1 5/8" width and very soft. The standard Ping is 10" Radius .
    The reason for the shim is that is the only way to change the action and preserve the EVH trem set up.

8. Soapbarstrat

Soapbarstrat Senior Member

The peavey floyd copy was made of such soft metal, that instead of using shims to adjust the saddle heights, I was able to run the saddle bottoms across a regular file to adjust their heights. Something that would have ruined the file, if I'd try the same thing with a real floyd saddle.

As far as the "shim", he had a piece of plastic cut from the bottom of a plastic tupper-ware dish or something. About 1/8" thick in the middle, tapering to 1/16" thick on the edges. Causing his trem post to just barely sit in the bushings and they could rock back in forth.

Oh well, at least you tried to back him up.

9. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Your talking about the import version (very nasty.)