• Original Floyd Rose

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • Other (Please Specify)

Votes: 8 20.5%

• Total voters

Steve_U1S

Supporting Member
My experiences and take on this interesting subject:

I'm a huge fan of the Ibanez LoPro Edge (made OEM by Gotoh).
Next up for me would be the original Edge (also manufactured for Ibanez by Gotoh).
The EdgePro (when combined with the locking stud modification) is as solid and tuning stable as the other Edge family members, and was also made by Gotoh (now discontinued).

My first double locking trem system was a genuine Floyd Rose - they are solid, they are the originals.
The only thing I prefer to do to the genuine Floyd systems I have in use is to swap out the bar system with the Floyd Rose pop-in bar and sleeve - I absolutely detest the finger-tight system which applies pressure to a pin bearing down onto the top of the sleeve which is installed into the bridge main plate.
(Some licensed bridges have improved on this with compression bushings which take the metal-on-metal grinding I mention above out of the equation.)

... with that said, if I'm faced with a situation where a double locking bridge needs to be replaced, and it's one with a Floyd Rose compatible footprint and stud spacing, these days I tend to immediately recommend the Gotoh 1996T system - it seems to marry the best aspects of the original Edge and original Floyd Rose.
I quite like the ergonomics of the 1996T... it feels quite a lot like an Edge, but is made to (forgivingly - thanks to its one flat knife combined with the one round one which establishes the side-to-side positioning of the bridge) fit onto the same stud spacing as an original Floyd Rose or compatible licensed versions.

And yes, the EJK100 E-JACK Ibanez tool is awesome, and I'm thrilled to own one. It was the only tool which not only worked with the Edge and LoPro, but for the first time (because of its fundamental design difference in its method of gripping the saddle) it was possible to use a tool on the EdgePro bridges!

With that said, the Red Bishop Accu-Locator linked above is:
- designed by the same person as the E-JACK, and uses the same grip method
- works on the Edge systems as above
- because of an added pivot adjustment on the anchoring 'foot' of the tool, it adjusts to work with just about any other Floyd Rose style bridge as well
- just like the EJK-1000, the height of the tool combined with the girth of the intonation adjustment knob makes it easy to apply the torque required to make adjustments (anyone who's used the previously available tools for the Ibanez bridges, as well as The Tool for the Floyd Rose, will likely understand my reference to the low height and difficulty in getting an appropriate grip on the adjuster knob on those tools. We're lucky to have had those, and I'm glad I have those as well - but this new generation of tools really makes adjustment far more ergonomic, and anything which eases this fussy procedure is welcome in my books, and I'm sure many others' =])

skhan007

Supporting Member
My experiences and take on this interesting subject:

I'm a huge fan of the Ibanez LoPro Edge (made OEM by Gotoh).
Next up for me would be the original Edge (also manufactured for Ibanez by Gotoh).
The EdgePro (when combined with the locking stud modification) is as solid and tuning stable as the other Edge family members, and was also made by Gotoh (now discontinued).

My first double locking trem system was a genuine Floyd Rose - they are solid, they are the originals.
The only thing I prefer to do to the genuine Floyd systems I have in use is to swap out the bar system with the Floyd Rose pop-in bar and sleeve - I absolutely detest the finger-tight system which applies pressure to a pin bearing down onto the top of the sleeve which is installed into the bridge main plate.
(Some licensed bridges have improved on this with compression bushings which take the metal-on-metal grinding I mention above out of the equation.)

... with that said, if I'm faced with a situation where a double locking bridge needs to be replaced, and it's one with a Floyd Rose compatible footprint and stud spacing, these days I tend to immediately recommend the Gotoh 1996T system - it seems to marry the best aspects of the original Edge and original Floyd Rose.
I quite like the ergonomics of the 1996T... it feels quite a lot like an Edge, but is made to (forgivingly - thanks to its one flat knife combined with the one round one which establishes the side-to-side positioning of the bridge) fit onto the same stud spacing as an original Floyd Rose or compatible licensed versions.

And yes, the EJK100 E-JACK Ibanez tool is awesome, and I'm thrilled to own one. It was the only tool which not only worked with the Edge and LoPro, but for the first time (because of its fundamental design difference in its method of gripping the saddle) it was possible to use a tool on the EdgePro bridges!

With that said, the Red Bishop Accu-Locator linked above is:
- designed by the same person as the E-JACK, and uses the same grip method
- works on the Edge systems as above
- because of an added pivot adjustment on the anchoring 'foot' of the tool, it adjusts to work with just about any other Floyd Rose style bridge as well
- just like the EJK-1000, the height of the tool combined with the girth of the intonation adjustment knob makes it easy to apply the torque required to make adjustments (anyone who's used the previously available tools for the Ibanez bridges, as well as The Tool for the Floyd Rose, will likely understand my reference to the low height and difficulty in getting an appropriate grip on the adjuster knob on those tools. We're lucky to have had those, and I'm glad I have those as well - but this new generation of tools really makes adjustment far more ergonomic, and anything which eases this fussy procedure is welcome in my books, and I'm sure many others' =])
Great info! OK, so the Gotoh 1996t appears to have the same stud spacing as the OFR (74mm) and one knife-edge and one round edge, allowing it fit existing studs. Very cool. I have a new body that is routed for for an OFR, meaning it's ready to accept OFR inserts/studs. Curious if 1) The Gotoh studs are the same size and 2) If an OFR trem cavity is good for the Gotoh 1996T?

stratamania

Great info! OK, so the Gotoh 1996t appears to have the same stud spacing as the OFR (74mm) and one knife-edge and one round edge, allowing it fit existing studs. Very cool. I have a new body that is routed for for an OFR, meaning it's ready to accept OFR inserts/studs. Curious if 1) The Gotoh studs are the same size and 2) If an OFR trem cavity is good for the Gotoh 1996T?
The Gotoh Studs are a slightly bigger diameter. The cavity should be good.

skhan007

Supporting Member
The Gotoh Studs are a slightly bigger diameter. The cavity should be good.
Cool thanks. I suppose I can install regular Floyd studs and the Gotoh would fit. The Gotoh is substantially cheaper than an OFR and I'll need to find out if that is reflected in lesser quality parts.

bman5150us

Supporting Member
I’ve got a 1989 Washburn super Strat that I re-trem’d about 15 years ago with a TRS101. It’s been an awesome trem. I really love the arm. It’s screw-in and you can set it up with no wiggle in the arm and you can adjust the tension of the arm too. The arm itself seems to sit slightly further away from the guitar and it seems slightly longer. Both great characteristics for my large hands as it makes it more comfortable to use. I also have had it blocked for the past 5 years which made it super stable and improved the guitars tone.

I also have a FR-licensed cheap-o version on another guitar and I don’t like the arm. It’s either too loose or too tight and the arm seems small. I added a FU tone block and blocked it and now it sounds fine but I still hate the arm.

finally, my Wolfgang Standard has a nice licensed FR trem. Arm screws in and then you just tighten it down with the nut. It’s a nice trem. That’s blocked against the body per stock specs.

I’d probably buy the FR that’s made in Indonesia and do the pop in arm upgrade to eliminate the slop like some one else posted. Just learned about this the other day. Maybe I can also do this to my other cheapo FR licensed trem.

Steve_U1S

Supporting Member
As stratamania said, the body inserts for the Gotoh appear slightly larger... but don't discount altering to allow for the supplied Gotoh studs - they have the locking feature, which is in common with the Edge & LoPro Edge bridge kits made for Ibanez by Gotoh.
It's a good feature to have in effect if you can swing it.

The only thing to keep an eye on for the body cavity is the length & disposition of the string lock bolts which extend out the back - though I believe they're quite comparable to the OFR, there's definitely evidence of variations which can cause issues with fitment when the intonation is set.

s2y

Yes, this is an excellent point. I think about this as well- Will the product be defunct in x years?

I fell into this exact "trap" several years back. My salesman at the local music store was singing the highest praises for the Floyd Speedloader tremolo (remember those?). He showed me one on a Floyd guitar, showed me the novel string changing ease, etc. So, I bought one for a partscaster and sure enough, the product flopped, went belly up, etc. I've still been able to use the Speedloader with some modification and it's just fine (thankfully, Fender bullet strings work/fit in the Speedloader saddles), but I don't want to be in the situation again where I shell out for something that becomes obsolete.
I have Steinberger Trans Trems. Still able to get strings, but it's getting very difficult to get replacement parts.

stratamania

Cool thanks. I suppose I can install regular Floyd studs and the Gotoh would fit. The Gotoh is substantially cheaper than an OFR and I'll need to find out if that is reflected in lesser quality parts.
I have known of people who have used the Floyd Posts with the Gotoh. I have not personally done so but it seems reasonable that it would work.

skhan007

Supporting Member
They're wildly out of style, but I still like the old Kahler trems.
Yeah, I've got a Kahler on my '84 BC Rich and have had them on other guitars in the past. They always seem to break high-E strings at the ball end for some reason. Not sure if my set up is wrong or what. Very curious. Otherwise, Kahlers are great for intonating, changing strings, etc.

Trending Topics