Floyd rose tremelo block size

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by deathrider817, May 8, 2016.

1. deathrider817

deathrider817 Member

Do you measure the tremolo block from top to bottom to get the correct size, as in I have a set of calipers and I measured the height and it measured 36mm,just as I ordered for a Gotoh 1996T..The reason I am asking is I had been using a Floyd Rose 1000 on this particular project,but I wanted to try a new Gotoh and I ordered the 36mm brass block..well the block is shorter by a hair and the tremolo springs rub on the inside tremolo cavity enough that the tremolo doesn't want to go back to the correct adjustment,so I put the 1000 back on and it works ok,but I am thinking that a 40 mm block will allow me to use the Gotoh tremolo..am I right or wrong ?

2. B Money

B Money Member

yes, measure from top to bottom.

I don't understand why the replacement 36mm is shorter than the original 36mm. Are you sure you measured correctly before you ordered? Anyways, the 40mm should be fine unless it's too long and sticks out the back of the guitar, or prevents you from getting the trem cavity cover back on.

Before you do anything, I'd use a shim of wood to get the length to 40mm and then try to get the cover on just to make sure, before you order something else that won't work.

3. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

"Real" Floyd blocks come in 32mm, 37mm, and 42mm (usually stamped on the block). 36mm isn't an option, which is probably why the 36mm block is shorter - you started with a 37mm.

4. deathrider817

deathrider817 Member

I ordered a Gotoh 1996T tremelo online, under the block size options tab I clicked on 36mm..it also had 40mm but I figured I better try 36mm 1st..that's where the 36mm came from, Gotohs spec..I put the Floyd 1000 back in it and the springs don't rub, but very close. .I also realized the Schaller Sure Claw tremelo Claw I am using is sitting a little lower against the body, so I can shim it up to get the correct size or use the standard Claw 2 screws type..but the Sure claws are my favorite, so easy to use.

5. deathrider817

deathrider817 Member

I just finished making some block shims out of stainless steel strapping material,the strapping mainly used for shipping/receiving wrapping pallets..I brought the block height to 37.98mm and the Gotoh 1996T tremolo works like it is supposed to without the springs rubbing the tremolo cavity.
    You are correct..the Floyd block used is a 37mm.