Floyd Rose- why a wrench?

doesitmatter

I've always been frustrated with the Floyd Rose on my Axis. It's a great guitar but changing strings is such a pain.

The one thing I do like is the fine tuners on the bridge. And I like that they are thumb screws. They're tight and precise and best of all, don't need an allen wrench. Which leads me to wonder, why aren't there thumb screws on the nut and bridge locks? They obviously work and there's room for them.

I remember one practice that was ruined because my guitar was more out of tune than my fine tuners could fix. It seems like Floyd Rose takes pride in how complicated its products are. They introduced the speedloader to make their guitars easier but it needed proprietary strings and failed.

I would love to just have a wrenchless Floyd Rose. I'm contemplating swapping the whole thing out for a standard trem but of course nothing else fits the studs.

I also wish they made bridge that could hold a ball end but that's another battle. How many of you would like the FR better if we didn't have to search for an allen wrench every time we changed strings or retuned?

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
It brings people together ... singin', "I got a brand new pair of rollerskates, you got a brand new key"

:hiP

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
In the early 90s, some folks tried some wrenchless floyd-type designs...

They did NOT work well, I'm sorry to say. I had one. Ugh.

To get the locking nut tight enough, you need to apply more force than is possible with something the size of the fine tuner knob.

I had in my possession for a while two alternative locking devices, but they were intended for Kahlers, more than Floyds.

One of them had three levers, was huge and weighed a ton.

The other was made by Schaller and had a lever for each string. It locked the string between the lever and a disc(I think). It wasn't heavey, but was awkward to use and most people probably would say it was ugly.

This Teuffel is using the second type of clamp I described. I don't think new ones use this clamp, anymore:

I was reluctant to buy one of the new Charvels a couple of years ago because I remembered what a buzz kill the FR was on my Kramer Pacer back in the 80's. Well, I decided to go for it anyway and immediately had a brass block and tremel-no installed. I'm not sure why FR does not add something like this to the whole design (tremel-no). Set it to hard tail mode and string changes are easy.

Just sayin'

You could always look into a Floyd Rose Speedloader trem. No wrenches, but you'd need to mod the nut or buy a guitar with the Speedloader already installed.

And you'd need to find the double ball end strings for it, too.

doesitmatter

You could always look into a Floyd Rose Speedloader trem. No wrenches, but you'd need to mod the nut or buy a guitar with the Speedloader already installed.

And you'd need to find the double ball end strings for it, too.
They discontinued the the speedloader string in 2010. I'm already hoarding zip discs for my recorder. I can't gobble up more obsolescent technology. :YinYang

Great information though, guys! Thanks!

Does anyone know of a standard trem or hardtail that fits FR stud spacing? The dive bombs just aren't worth the work to me.

dspellman

I had in my possession for a while two alternative locking devices, but they were intended for Kahlers, more than Floyds.

One of them had three levers, was huge and weighed a ton.
Actually, the Kahler Flip Lock doesn't weigh that much and isn't particularly huge and it presents a cleaner appearance. It was generally installed *behind* the nut (though I think it could be installed AS a nut as well) and used flip levers to do a final tightening on the strings:

Beneath the flips it looks very much like a Floyd nut, but the screws that tighten the clamps down on the strings are both knurled (for finger tightening) and have a flat-blade screwdriver slot for the faint of finger.

Sadly, however, it's out of production, and only a very standard-looking locking nut and a standard-looking behind-the-nut string lock remain in the Kahler stable.

A440

Silver Supporting Member
on some guitars, I didn't bother locking the nut down.

don't play many floyd guitars anymore. you could probably use locking tuners in place of locking nut.

dspellman

on some guitars, I didn't bother locking the nut down.

don't play many floyd guitars anymore. you could probably use locking tuners in place of locking nut.
Not the same thing at all. The point of a locking nut (or a string lock right behind the nut) was to eliminate nut binding throwing the guitar out of tune. Locking tuners do nothing to affect that; they're simply around to make restringing faster.

buddastrat

I remember those days. Holding up band practices, looking for a wrench... I started using regular trems, learned to set them up well and never looked back. So much better.

Ernie Ball makes a great non locking trem and mine stayed in tune extremely well. Maybe look into trading/selling for your style guitar with a non locking system?

Come to think of it, what I had was an aftermarket Floyd device and it was much clunkier than the Kahler unit. I swear it was almost 3/4 of an inch tall when locked.

Last edited:

dspellman

I remember those days. Holding up band practices, looking for a wrench... I started using regular trems, learned to set them up well and never looked back. So much better.
I've got one Samick that has a nice wrench rack on the back of the headstock. And of course when I bought the guitar there was no wrench there. Room for a pair of wrenches. Gold plated, even. I suppose you can buy them somewhere, but I think the idea is that you go buy the wrenches in bulk and distribute them more or less evenly everywhere, including taped to the inside of your amp heads, onto mike stands and even to the walls of the practice facility. 30-40 seems a good number.

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
These are the issues (among others) that made me switch to non-floyd guitars for good about 15 years ago.

A440

Silver Supporting Member
Not the same thing at all. The point of a locking nut (or a string lock right behind the nut) was to eliminate nut binding throwing the guitar out of tune. Locking tuners do nothing to affect that; they're simply around to make restringing faster.
yes, I know it doesn't provide near the tuning stability especially for those that like to dive bomb and other whammy abuse :)

I worked at Ibz for number of yrs, so I got to know a lot about floyds and the like :dude

For me, I went in the direction of locking tuners. For many, floyds have definitely made a serious comeback...Gibson sure has a few players going that route: Lifeson, Schon and they're marketing LPs with floyds again. I know, heresy for a lot of LP lovers...lol

Ampegasaur

I like my Floyd Suhrs. With the tremel - no it eliminates many of these problems. I keep a tool on my key ring that makes it easy. There are Sperzels on my Floyd guitars which makes changing a breeze. I use pretty heavy strings and rarely break a string. My trad tremolo guitars just can"t do what the Floyds can. They all have their place, and use what works for you. Once my Floyd is setup it rarely goes out of tune.

kselbee

Silver Supporting Member
Funny, I was just considering posting this exact topic. I hate the locking nut as well. I've got a design in my head which I think would be better... maybe I'll try to get one made.

TowMater

Locking tuners do help tuning stability to an extent. Another source of going out of tune with a regular tuner is that after the string goes slack when the tremolo used, it may return to a slightly different position on the tuning peg. Locking tuners avoid this issue because the string does not wind around the turning peg. I agree that locking tuners don't address the nut binding issue through.

maccampbells

I put a set of 4 wrenches on the back of my headstock for just such emergencies. I think they were $8 with the mount. My guit is setup before a show so If I know I am getting near the end of the fine tuning range before hand.

Trending Topics