Floyd Rose without locking nut

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by csacwp, Apr 10, 2015.

1. csacwp

csacwp Member

Which nut is better with a Floyd Rose and sperzel locking tuners- an LSR roller nut or a well-cut graphite or Teflon nut?

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

even a regular bone nut will be fine if it's properly done.

also, floyd rose has just reintroduced their original non-fine tuner floyd, perfect for this kind of guitar.

the non-fine tuner version sounds great, as it's one solid bolted-together piece, no free-moving parts.

3. csacwp

csacwp Member

I really want to use the non-fine tuner version, but I need a bridge that can support Graphtec Ghost piezo saddles.

4. handtrix

handtrix Member

For the heavy usage, I've used these these two designs with good success. They fit nicely over that wide Floyd Rose locking nut. (Take string tree(s) into consideration.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. cardinal

cardinal Member

^ what are those?

6. csacwp

csacwp Member

Yes, what are they? They look like roller nuts. Also, I'm not retrofitting a new nut onto a guitar with a locking nut, I'm having a new guitar built from scratch without a locking nut in the first place.

7. RayBarbeeMusic

RayBarbeeMusic Member

I wouldn't (and don't) use anything but graphtech black in that situation. Nothing else comes close for stability.

8. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

Yes! What are those and where can I get one. I have a couple of guitars i would love to remove the locking nut from.

9. mesa/kramer

mesa/kramer Member

Why would you want to eliminate the main feature that keeps the Floyd in Tune?

And dont' tell me that your tone will suffer from the locking nut or it's just too hard to unlock the 3 allen bolts when changing strings.............

10. Vikk

Vikk Member

what are those nuts?

11. Gitarman

Gitarman Member

12. Sancho

Sancho Member

Yep. I have a Carvin with a Floyd and no locking nut. Even with a well cut nut and locking tuners, this guitar is nowhere near as stable as my guitars with locking nuts.

John Hurtt and bloomz like this.
  13. ballhawk

ballhawk Supporting Member

Anyone know if you can replace a normal strat nut with one of these without enlarging the slot? The pics and info on the site give no clue.

14. McShred

McShred Supporting Member

Because that's not the main feature...

The main reason guitars go out of tune with crazy them abuse (assuming strings are stretched properly and have 3-4 windings on the post) is due to the string binding on the bridge saddle when it goes slack. Thats why the G always comes back sharp, the string goes slack over the saddle, which is coming forward, shortening the length of the string. Then when the bridge moves back to neutral, the string has gripped on the saddle and is now sharp. The reason a Floyd works so great is because it has eliminated string movement over the saddle.

I have a guitar with locking tuners and an old Floyd (no fine tuners), no locking nut, and it stays in perfect tune no matter what the trem insanity level.

walterw likes this.
  15. analogsystem

analogsystem Member

I have a Strat with a 2-point trem, which isn't that different from a non-fine-tuner floyd, and with the LSR roller nut and staggered locking tuners it stays in tune incredibly well.

16. Gitarman

Gitarman Member

Those are considerably wider than a standard Srat nut; you'd definitely need to widen the slot.

17. mesa/kramer

mesa/kramer Member

Still no one has posted a valid argument on why to sacrifice the prefect tuning of a Floyd with a Locking nut

And to clarify, the main reason guitars with trems go out of tune is do to binding at the nut and slippage on the tuners not at the bridge so much

bloomz and JB6464 like this.
  18. Willicat

Willicat Member

The main reason I think the locking nut turns people off is that some want to change tunings several times during a live show with the same guitar.

I have an original non fine tuner Floyd on an old Tokai mounted flush with a graphite nut and locking tuners. Stays in tune better than myall floating Floyd's on their best days.

I guess the word of the day is "flush mounted".

19. mesa/kramer

mesa/kramer Member

You can not change tunnings live with any floating trem so that is a moot point
    A trem is not a trem if it is not floating, its just a noise maker for squealies and dive bombs

bloomz likes this.
  20. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Usually, tho' I stumbled on a cool way to setup strat for folks that allows floating and dropping the E to D and still sounding "in". Only drop D tuning but that is the most common altered tuning, and it works quite well for live on the fly changes. I can only get it to work with my string gauge. Maybe need to experiment with other gauges.

But a trem is STILL a trem if it's decked. Ask Fender.