Floyd Rose Woes

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by csacwp, Mar 7, 2015.

1. csacwp

csacwp Member

I recently acquired an older USA Jackson with a recessed JT6. I swapped out the JT6 with a brand new OFR, and I rethreaded the original inserts to take the new OFR posts, which allow for a greater range of motion than the JT6 posts.

My Jackson has a 25.5 scale and is in standard tuning with .09 gauge strings. I have the Floyd set up with three brand new springs that came with it. My problem is that it is very stiff, so much so that it is difficult to dive bomb and I can barely pull up one half-step. The Floyd and block have plenty of clearence and arent hitting the body. I've used Schaller floyds and Ibanez Edge trems in the past with 3 springs and they feel like butter and are smooth and effortless to use. Any idea what is wrong with my new OFR?

2. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Take out a spring, I've never used more than 2 springs when using 9's with a Floyd.

Could be your springs are very stiff.

3. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

4. csacwp

csacwp Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I currently have the foam removed from under the springs and the 3 springs in an angled configuration, not straight like in the photo. There are no clearance issues with the Floyd.

5. Bob Rosencrans

Bob Rosencrans Member

Looks like the posts are to high and the springs are to tight. Mine is pretty much level. Lower the posts a little and loosen the spring claw enough to pull up 1 and 1/2 steps.

6. MjS88

MjS88 Member

This stiffness could mean two things: there is either an opposite force that's higher than string tension (springs) and/or there is (too much) friction somewhere. The latter seems unlikely, but you could check if the edges of the Floyd are sharp & clean and correctly seated in the posts. To make absolutely sure, you could apply some lubricant (Nut Sauce for instance).

For the first (tension): the base plate of the Floyd should be parallel to the body. It looks like the spring tension is too high so it overcompensates for the string tension, creating an angled baseplate.

Also; brand new springs are less 'elastic' and the feel will change after a while.

You have experience with floating trems so this is probably obvious; but I heard the best way to set the spring tension is to block the trem, completely level to the body (for instance jam a battery in the cavity or put a backplate between body and tremolo). Make sure springs are tighter than they need to be. Tune the guitar. When it's in tune, decrease spring tension until the battery or backplate can be easily removed (the tension is roughly equal at that point). Fine tune until bridge is perfectly level (if not already the case) and retune (should only need minor modification).

edit: You mention rethreading the inserts. Are you sure the spacing is 100%? If it's (slightly) too small or too wide, that might increase the friction on the knife edges.

7. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Take out the middle spring and readjust the spring claw if necessary.

8. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Looks like the post is leaning towards the neck and the inserts looks like they're glued in?

9. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Balance it with two springs and the baseplate parallel to the string plane.

10. csacwp

csacwp Member

I lowered the posts and set things back up. The tremolo slot was catching the body, so I routed it and now I can pull up, although the tremolo is still a little stiff. The main problem now are the posts, which fit loosely into the inserts and therefore sit at an angle. I imagine not having perfectly level posts will screw up my intonation and tuning stability? There must be a bit of movement there as well if they aren't perfectly tight.

11. csacwp

csacwp Member

If I can get them tight, will the slight angle they are leaning at make any difference in terms of stability?

12. milli vanilli

milli vanilli Member

I'm no luthier, but it would stand to reason that the posts make a HUGE difference... if they lean, that means that there is a difference in distance between the plate and the posts as you move the trem up or down. The only thing you want moving on that trem is the bridge, posts should be tight. I bought a used older jackson, the guy swapped the floyd for an original as well. The posts weren't in tight enough and are actually ripping out of the body. I suspect that the posts on the stock floyd were a tiny bit thicker than the original floyd. Mine are ripping out, yours are loose. I'm not gonna mess with it, gonna bring it in to someone qualified. My guess is that he's gonna put a doll rod in there, sand smooth, then redrill. I'm not about to attempt that to a USA jackson.

13. Green Pro Am

Green Pro Am Member

I retrofitted an original Floyd onto my 87 Jackson Strat that came with a JT6. I used the original JT6 posts and have had no issues. Maybe give that a try and go with two springs?