Fluance RT85 turntable arrived.... the good and the bad

Discussion in 'Home Audio (Stereo Systems)' started by saxophonist56, Jan 20, 2020.

1. saxophonist56

saxophonist56 Supporting Member

great table. the acrylic platter is a 120 dollar upgrade but is included for a 50 dollar upgrade from the RT84. got to love that it comes with a pair of white cloth gloves. the wood finish is beautiful.
    the Ortophon 2M blue cartridge is around $250 by itself. definitely one of my better purchases overall. The bad news is that most of my records are in horrible condition. The only one so far that is in decent shape is the oldest. A 1957 copy of "Jazz Goes to College" brubeck that my Dad had in his closet. Amazing that a 62 year old record is in such excellent condition.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

stay away from those osmium needles! lol

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    ddog and Badtone like this.
  2. johntoste

johntoste Member

Congratulations on your new 'table.

The condition of your records; are they scratched, played with a damaged needle, or simply in need of cleaning?

Good luck!

3. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Member

Time for some brand new, pristine 180G vinyl!!

chumbucket likes this.
  4. saxophonist56

"What we're told: 180g vinyl sounds better than standard vinyl.

180 gram is a heavier grade of vinyl that many believe coaxes a richer audio palate than lighter, standard grades. Sure, 180g LPs ride more smoothly on a turntable thanks to their weight, but the benefits end there. The quality of the sound derives from the vinyl compound, as opposed to the weight of the disc.

And don’t believe anyone who tells you that 180g discs boast deeper grooves and thus a richer sound – the engineer who cuts the vinyl master determines the depth of the grooves, regardless of the weight of the vinyl.

myth"

my first stab at googling 180 gram vinyl....

5. saxophonist56

all of the above fubar! lol.....

i picked up a grand canyon suite record at the thrift shop still new in plastic for a dollar. think they have one more new one....otw! lol

6. saxophonist56

the internal phono preamp of my receiver has very low output from the preamp section into my jolida tube amp ....not sure why that would be but i'm interested in getting an external preamp with two sets of outputs...any suggestions? reasonable cost vs the 500 i spent on the table.

7. fataxeman

fataxeman Silver Supporting Member

Schiit Mani for $129...
    2 cartridge loading settings and 4 gain settings. Going to be really hard to beat at this price point.

https://www.schiit.com/products/mani

I bought my daughter a RT83 and she likes it. It's her first turntable.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    Badtone and johntoste like this.
  8. saxophonist56

scored a bunch of immaculate deutche grammophone beethovan collections and timelife collections of billie holiday, coleman hawkins and the great duke ellington for 50 cents for each box set!! love the thrift shop!

the ellington set is AMAZING! be nice to have a time machine back to 1940's to see that band live

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    Badtone and johntoste like this.