1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Flubby low end with medium overdive--help?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Brian Lusky, May 17, 2011.

1. Brian Lusky

Brian Lusky Member

Hey...my current set up involves running a T1M the Pearl into an AC Booster into a Paul C Tim. I'm using them as high, medium, and low gain respectively. Have been really happy with the Pearl and Tim, but lately I've been unsatisfied with the sound of the AC Booster on the neck pickup. When I try to play notes/chords on the E or A strings, the sound is flubby/non defined--it's quite unpleasing. This does not happen with the Tim or the Pearl. Also, to be clear, I'm really talking about the neck pick up on any of my guitars. When I flip over to the bridge, it sounds great.

I recently picked up a Dirty Little Secret, hoping that it wouldn't have the same problem as the AC Booster, but it does. When I switch it to RAWK, it does better, but in RAWK mode it sounds so close to what I'm getting from the Pearl as to make it superfluous. I'm looking for something to stack with my Tim that would give me some medium overdrive/sustain. I'm perplexed that I have low/high gain sounds that don't exhibit the problem, but overdrives that sit in the middle are tending to have this issue.

Any suggestions?

2. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

Transparency! IMHO, pedals that color the tone and/or mid humps, lead to that flabby sound on the lower strings when stacking.

3. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

PLEASE try the Solid Gold Superdrive. 80% of my playing is chords on the neck pup, and I've actually tweaked the pole under my A string (I use ASAT Specials, which adjustable pole pieces--think Tele chime and Jazzmaster body) so it's emphasized in the mix and the SD just KILLS. It has a very firm low end and, apparently, new versions have a toggle that allow you to further tighten the low end. I think it's vastly superior to both the AC Booster and the Tim as a medium (and high) gain pedal; it's much meatier but very natural sounding.

I use a BFDR-type amp, but I've had great success using it with a JCM900 and I had a client in my studio use it with his Vox and he, too, loved it. You can get 'em from PGS and return it if you don't like it. -E