Fluxtone Speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MHG, Apr 26, 2015.

1. MHG

MHG Member

Anyone actually pulled the trigger on these? If so, are they worth the price? I was so disappointed to see the prices after having decided to buy them. Is anyone aware of anyone offering something like this for a more realistic price? Thanks in advance for your responses.

2. smazz

smazz Master Noodler Silver Supporting Member

Totally worth it. I have 2. I think Eminence makes a couple of speakers where you can manually adjust the strength of the magnet for much less. But not the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. MHG

MHG Member

Thank so much for the response. Which of their speakers did you go with, and for which amps are you using them with?

4. Samsun19

Samsun19 Member

Those Eminence one's, are not even in the same ball park, sound / range of volume wise.

Look into Dana Hall's, (Hall Amplification) VVR's for a really cool, low cost solution... I sold my phantom after instating a few ....

5. How

How Supporting Member

Yes expensive but work as advertised. I have four of them an no regrets.

6. smazz

smazz Master Noodler Silver Supporting Member

My Fluxtones are the EV and the big Celestion Blue. (Model 13 and 11). Right now using with a Bludotone and a Two Rock. They work well alone or together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. MHG

MHG Member

Nice. I'd be using mine with mostly D-style amps, and a Trainwreck style amp.

8. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Member

I've heard nothing but praise for these by all who actually ponied up the cash to own them. The only negative comments have been from those who didn't or simply can't afford them! I'd buy some in heartbeat if I could! :stir :munch
    My $.02,
    Gene

9. MHG

MHG Member

Denver Ampworks uses these in their amps. Are their amps extremely expensive? Their amps seem pretty amazing as well.

10. spkrbldr

spkrbldr Member

I agree with the above posts. They definitely work and are in a league of their own. The problem is the labor involved in making them. Very precise and delicate work for sure. We worked with Steve in the beginning and I built a couple of working prototypes from the ground up that didn't start out as existing speakers. I wish we could have worked something out to produce them but things just kinda fell apart. Steve did stop by the shop a few weeks ago and I gave Hime one of the parts we had machined for the product to try out so who knows, maybe we can work something out. What we brought to the table would definitely bring the prices down. They would still be pretty expensive but not nearly as much as they cost at this time. I've been in the peaked business for almost 30 years now and these may just be the coolest thing I've ever seen.
    Dean

11. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Member

Yessir Indeedy,
    I recently was lucky enough to pick up (really cheaply) a couple of field coil, Rola organ speakers in the hopes of doing a home brewed version of something similar. Through a fair amount of research, I pretty much figured out that I either need to have the coils rewound or re-machined and/or need to build a fairly high voltage power supply for the existing coils! I'm only looking to tame 10 watt to 20 watt amps and had no intention of doing it commercially, just for my own use.
    FWIW, I hear nothing but great things about WGS products and intend to make a couple of purchases in the near future!

Thank You,
    Gene

12. cochese

cochese Supporting Member

These speakers intrigued me when I first heard about them several years back. I haven't tried them but there are some pretty obvious downsides besides the price. They are a heavy being one of them. I usually use a 212 with classic lead 80's and this would increase the weight of an already heavy cab by about 10lbs. Most 112, 212, 410 tube combos are heavy as is, making them heavier doesn't seem like a good idea when most players seems to want to do a gig and only carry an iPhone these days.

As a long time user of attenuators these speakers may be more transparent but you will still be reducing tube life when you run your amp hard. Replacing output tubes isn't getting any cheaper. I've recently gone the VVR route in a couple of my amps and have found that approach is more transparent than attenuators, works very well at managing volumes for gigs and has the side benefit of extending tube life.

The other thing to consider is that if your amp is running nearly full bore, time domain effects like delay and reverb won't work that well. The same is true with attenuators and VVR's. I usually set my amp to the edge of breakup and use pedals or sometimes I run the amp harder and use a line out box and send that signal to reverb and delay and a secondary tube amp and speaker. Wet/dry rig.

There is also a point that when the volume gets so low you lose the feel and interaction of the speaker and guitar. That's just physics.

Hey if the speakers work for some that's fine but you might want to consider the entire equation before making an expensive commitment.

13. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Wow. I just looked these up. Amazing concept and pricing.

14. MHG

MHG Member

I still really want to try these. They really do seem to be the perfect method of attenuation. Here's a new video........I want their amps now too!

15. berardi

berardi Member

Isn't the power station already as transparent as is gets? I guess this would be the same but much more expensive.

16. MHG

MHG Member

From what I understand, the power Station sounds good, but does affect the tone and feel of the amp. There's probably something to the fact that some pretty big name players are choosing these over traditional attenuation methods.

17. DeaconBlues

DeaconBlues Member

I couldn't afford the Fluxtones, but I do have two of the Emi's. I prefer them to attenuators by a large margin. I need to check out Hall Amplification.

18. MHG

MHG Member

Yeah, we need Skrbldr (WGS) to get involved again, and hopefully get those prices down a bit. The price is the only reason I don't own a bunch of them already.

19. How

How Supporting Member

As stated above, I have four Fluxtones and they work as advertised. No regrets. Best attenuation device out there. You get what you pay for.

20. majordanger

majordanger Member

Eminence Reignmaker and Maverick.