Fluxtone speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rosewood, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

2. rreiser

rreiser Supporting Member

Didn't get a chance to look over the whole website but I applaud the innovation. Cost is relative to how well the speaker performs and whether its a significant improvement to the buyer. Looking at the tooling on the website indicates a lot of cost to produce this speaker. I do know the cost of old vintage speakers is pretty high. It will be interesting to hear some feedback from anyone who tested the speaker.

3. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

That's a lot of trouble to go through to develop the whole idea. I wonder hoe many he will actually sell at that price and what he return policy is.

4. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

I didn't look too hard but it reminds me of just a stepdown transformer. I don't know, it's too weird for me to figure out. I have figured out I will not be buying a 12" speaker for $850 even though it seems to be more than a speaker.

5. FishingBen

FishingBen Member

I'd like to know more about it too but i won't be finding out personally at $850. Anybody tried one?

6. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

It's a cool concept, a variable strength magnetic field basically. I played one at an amp show a year or two ago. Brilliant idea, but limited to using HIS speaker designs. Some baskets look suspiciously Peavey-like....

It does what it's intended to do. We drove a 100-W ODS balls-out into one, and it was barely whisper level at full attenuation. Didn't have a chance to a/b against an attenuator doing the same thing. It sounded good to my ear. Their nice guys, they do have some heavy cash tied into the idea, and yes, I also wonder if it will pan out for them at those kinds of prices.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  7. gdomeier

gdomeier Supporting Member

There was an article on this company in a recent premier guitar magazine.

8. fluxtone

fluxtone Member

This is Steve Carey, President of FluxTone Speakers. We have gotten production quantities going...not only have we added two new 10" speakers for you folks, we also added two new 100 watt 12" speakers. All four of these new speakers are $550 with a power supply to address the "it costs too much" concern. Check the website for more details.

Thanks for the interest in our products!

Steve Carey
    President FluxTone Speakers

9. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

Welcome to TGP ! Those new speakers are certainly more "wallet-friendly", and should do well for you...

10. FXPedal.com

FXPedal.com Member

I tried out a Marshall 1974x (aka mini Bluesbreaker) with one of their speakers in it at the LA Amp Show recently and was floored. I have that amp and even at 18 watts it's too loud to crank at home. With the Fluxtone speaker I could dime the amp, getting the tone that makes it so special, turn the speaker level down, keeping the tone but at a level you can speak over easily. I don't remember which speaker was in it but Mr Carey told me it was $850. That is expensive, but so is having a $2300 amp I cAn only turn up at a rehearsal studio. Haven't bought a speaker from them yet but that's only because I haven't decided on which wattage I need most. Just purchased a 100 watt plexi reissue . . .

11. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Wow. Cool concept.
    :)

12. rsm

rsm Member

Its the flux capacitor that accounts for the cost lol, I could not resist. sorry.

Innovative idea that I've been following. If I ever get that Vox AC100 / Mk II head on my GAS list, I may be looking into these speakers.

I wonder what the effect on tone is though, in situations where the speaker (type, performance, reaction, etc.) is a key aspect of the amps overall tone? The Celestion Alnico Blues in a Vox AC30 for example...

How do the Fluxtone speakers account for this?

13. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Supporting Member

I demoed them at the recent LA Amp Show. All the tonal claims seem to be pretty accurate. They use the voicecoil and frame and cone of the actual speaker, but substitute a field coil for the magnet structure, and that's tweakable as to wattage and response. The Celestion Alnico Blue that they converted sounded pretty close to the real thing, and the other speakers did as well. It's expensive, but so are attenuators.

14. rsm

rsm Member

Great to hear, thanks!

15. Samsun19

Samsun19 Member

I also got to try one one at the LA AMP show....

The 18 watt BB, pretty sure it was a Gold in there,

LOVED IT!

If I hadn't been on the Faustine Phantom 2nd run list, I might have pulled the trigger. If you have a favorite 1x12 cab or combo, and FluxT has the speaker flavor you dig? It's a killer solution to tone at low/lower volumes.

I believe Steve did say that you could return it after a few days if you were not satisfied. I really doubt that anyone would return one based on dissatisfaction of tone.... It adds a few pounds to the party, but sounds / and feels..... Right.

16. torquil

torquil Member

If I understand you correctly, instead of (or in addition to) a permanent magnet they use an adjustable electromagnet?

Doesn't the strength of the magnetic field in which the speaker coil moves have a big influence on the driver impedance? So presumably the impedance of this contraption depends on the attenuation setting?

It would be interesting to see the impedance of the Fluxtone speaker at both 0 and maximum attenuation.

- Torquil

17. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

Not to derail the thread, but: At NAMM, Eminence was showing a brochure on a new 12" driver with a variable flux field. It had a large knob on the rear of the speaker magnet, and it allowed you to vary the magnetic field (I forget how many DB, maybe 3 or 4 db), and is fully passive. Two initial models "english" and "american" sounding, per the rep. Samples requested. Very interesting idea.

18. Paul86

Paul86 Member

Bumping it to the top again. Any new developments?

19. fluxtone

fluxtone Member

The impedance does not change over the spectrum of attenuation

Steve

20. tiltrite

tiltrite Member

Necrobump.

Surprised there isn't more feedback out there re: these speakers, what with the quest for the holy grail of attenuation/ bedrooom volume going strong.

To be honest it is the price of admission that's holding me back although I've spent plenty in the past looking for the aforementioned lo volume solution.

I guess if I only used one speaker type it would make diving in easier, but to get my sounds I'd need to buy a blue/ a classic american sound/ and a classic english rock style. That would add up.