• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Fly By Night (first time played live)

Thought I'd share another 'bootleg' of Rush. This is the FIRST live version of Fly By Night. They had just written the song a week or so prior. Its rough to say the least. Vocals aren't as melodious but then again they are what? 19 ? Cool alt ending.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZYMbMQ0mtg&feature=related

FYI, these arent my clips I just found them ;)

Very cool! Geddy was so young-sounding.

They are just a bit out of synch, so rare to hear Rush like that! Nice bit of history. Thanks for posting. :JAM

ps what gear is that for Alex? the 335? Is that a phaser?

Rotten

Gold Supporting Member
It's surprising to hear Neil so heavy footed. Anyone know if that is amp reverb on Alex's tone?

RSRD

My favorite Rush Tune by far...thanks!

I really love the song too. Im always disappointed when Geddy eludes to Fly By Night when he states there are some songs they will never play live again. Not really sure why.

bostonwal

They would have 22, 22, and 23 (Neil) years old at this time. What a recording! Fantastic quality! Where has this been all these years? Amazing. Great version. Considering the panning going on with the guitar and overall quality someone was putting in some significant post-production on this.

RSRD

Yeah the recording is surprisingly good. there is a pre recorded limelight on the same page and its unbearable to listen too.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
They would have 22, 22, and 23 (Neil) years old at this time. What a recording! Fantastic quality! Where has this been all these years? Amazing. Great version. Considering the panning going on with the guitar and overall quality someone was putting in some significant post-production on this.
That was quite good!
Was the phaser on the guitar done post, too?
Did Alex use a phaser live back then? Did anybody?
When did those hit the market?

leftyaxeslinger

Silver Supporting Member

I think Geddy and Alex were even younger than that! I had always heard Geddy was 21 at the time they recorded 2112 in 1975/76. FBN came out in '75.

leftyaxeslinger

Silver Supporting Member
That was quite good!
Was the phaser on the guitar done post, too?
Did Alex use a phaser live back then? Did anybody?
When did those hit the market?
I think he was using the Maestro PS-1 then. I think those hit the market in '71. I have one and it sounds just like that.

mlavin00

Very cool. However, that 180 degree quick panning of the guitar was working my last nerve. How much bud was the sound engineer smoking? Very distracting. Otherwise, I own 14 cds and 3 videos of the band so I guess that make me a big fan as well. BTW, you all owe it to yourselves to get/see the blueray Snakes and Arrows tour. Awesome overall production.

bostonwal

I think Geddy and Alex were even younger than that! I had always heard Geddy was 21 at the time they recorded 2112 in 1975/76. FBN came out in '75.
Geddy turned 21 on the day Neil joined the band which was about a week before their first major tour - opening for Uriah Heap I believe. That was 74. So he was either 21 or 22 at the time of this recording. Alex and Geddy were both born in 1953.

corncakes

He was using the MP Maestro Phaser. (The model with Speed and Balls)

The one that looks like a wedge or some say a Robot Foot (LOL!)

It's IMHO the best phaser you can get. Once you play one you don't want to use anything else. (really)

Designed by Tom Oberheim and made by Norlin I believe (??)
Incorrect, it was the big one with the push buttons.

malabarmusic

He was using the MP Maestro Phaser. (The model with Speed and Balls)

The one that looks like a wedge or some say a Robot Foot (LOL!)

It's IMHO the best phaser you can get. Once you play one you don't want to use anything else. (really)

Designed by Tom Oberheim and made by Norlin I believe (??)
Incorrect, it was the big one with the push buttons.
FWIW ... I've owned both the "push button" PS1-A and the "robot foot" MP. The latter is dead-nuts on the early Lifeson phase tone. The former ... not so much. Either way, the push-button unit is completely useless unless you put it in a rack with a MIDI or GCX type setup. The MP is -- by comparison -- pedalboard friendly.

- DB

Trending Topics