Fly Rig 5 V2 review

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Aslan, May 18, 2019.

1. Aslan

Aslan Silver Supporting Member

I recieved my Fly Rig 5 V2 (version 2) yesterday and I decided to write a review since there isn't much about this pedal on the TGP. The Version 2 follows the same format as the version 1 except it gives you choices of two different distortions (Plexi or Cali), has built in tuner, the boost can be pre or post, two different types of reverb, and an XLR output for direct to the PA mixer.

First, the Cali distortion is totally awesome! The Plexi is fine but the Cali really makes the OD/Distortion tones stand out. As you turn the gain down the tone has a nice edge of breakup sound that defines the blues.

Second, the tuner is easy to use and accurate, I checked it with my Snark clip on at the same time and both were very accurate.

Third, having the boost post the dirt is much nicer for getting your leads out front.

I plugged my PRS Santana MD into the Fly Rig 5 V2 and then into my 57 Tweed Champ and was able to get all the tones required for any average gigging band. The delay is worth the price of the pedal alone, very warm and creates a spacious feel to your tone. The reverb has two settings with both being useful, especially the "Hall" mode. I added a Japanese Girl Wah pedal in front of the Fly Rig and it worked perfectly, so now I have a rig that I can put in the zipper compartment of my mono bag! If I needed to I could slip my guitar into the bag with the Fly Rig and the mini wah along with two cables and a jumper cable and go straight into a PA or backline with a killer sound! I think I'm going to like this pedal as a kind of "minimalist rig", I can see the guy/gals who play in places like New York or Chicago (riding subways or buses) really wanting one of these.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    Stratburst70, Warkli and Fretlessbaby like this.
  2. Nota

Nota Member

I'm very interested in this one, since it literally has all I need for gigs. Checks all the boxes, 9V power, tap, everything.

- How are the direct tones?
    - Can the Cali get sort of dumblish? Smooth kinda? I know it can get great metal sounds, but I don't play much of that.

3. Aslan

As far as direct tones I haven't had a chance to plug it into our PA, but the Cali distortion is like it's name sake, if you like Mesa Boogie tones then you'll love the Cali setting, it does the Santana sustain and feel very well. I found it to be very useful for different shades of OD depending where the gain was set. This also makes a great bedroom/home practice rig just plug into your amp or it's effects loop and you can get good tone at very low levels.

4. Shark21

Shark21 Silver Supporting Member

Just bought one. It comes Friday and I go on a ten day vacation at the beach the next day. We'll see!

5. Aslan

Shark21,
    Please post a review of how the Fly Rig 5V2 sounds to you, the more I play mine the more I love it.

6. Nota

Nota Member

I am returning mine. I could very quickly tell that the sounds were not for me. I love everything else about it. It's SO small and portable, 9V, love the layout and essential effects included. It's a giggable tiny thing.

But it's the same thing that plagued me years ago when I built rigs around the Liverpool pedal - like six *separate* times trying to make it work. The pedal itself is great, I just realized I'm not a Vox guy. At all. And it's the same "problem" with this pedal. I'm too picky, not into Mesa/Marshall OD tones. Maybe it's the lack of high cut (like my Ethos) and the placement of the frequency bands on the active EQ I don't like. Same exact problem on my Tech21 amp that I use for teaching. I'm fairly certain it's the same circuitry (why mess with success) for the amp sims. The cleans are great, hard to mess that up I guess.

7. Warkli

Warkli Member

I have a Fly Rig 5 V1 which i love. I am planning to upgrade it with a V2 since i need an effects loop. Extra features would be nice too. The plexi section fills a gap between my OD pedals and i like it with my 72 Tele Deluxe Neck PU (split)

Is there anybody make a comparison between V1 and V2?? I need the plexi section to be identical as V1. Since V2 has a "cali" button to shape it in a different way, i am wondering if plexi (cali button off) V2 has a different feel than the V1?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  8. Frank67

Frank67 Member

I came to really like thee FlyRigs. I did not care at all for the blonde I once had, but the FlyRigs are great and provide servicable tones in a tiny package. I have an Acoustic and a v1. The v2 seems to have all the right upgrades. Just to make sure - it does have a Fx loop to put in a volume pedaor whatever, yes?

9. Aslan

Yes, it has a effects loop.

CC Overdrive likes this.
  10. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

I am trying hard not to grab one of these as a backup for live gigs. The biggest hurdle for me was the lack of a dotted 8th note setting for the delay but the V2 has added that now.

Very tempting ... :hide

11. Warkli

Warkli Member

I bought it as a backup. Now it is part of my main setup. :dude Plexi section stacks great with my TS9 and i use it for my crunch bluesy parts. I don't want to make an assertive statement but i feel like it is more sensitive to dynamics than my OCD. Also stacking delay with my main delay pedal is soo much fun. I am just missing an fx loop and thats why i am diggin the V2

Edit: Ah! If you have a bright guitar and bright amp, you might not like it since both sansamp and plexi sounds fairly bright. Try it with your set up just to be sure!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    Stratburst70 likes this.
  12. Warkli

Warkli Member

Well, i recieved my Fly Rig 5 V2 too! Now i have both V1 and V2 and V1 going to used market. I spent couple of days comparing these two and decided to add my opinions to this topic couse there are some interesting differences. I could say that V2 is a big improvement.

First of all, i was wondering if the plexi sections are the same. Answer is yes and no. It is possible to get the same sounds out of both. That was a relief for me since it is part of my main board. I just felt a little bit more clearance and fullness in V2 which is cool. And V2 has more gain when you crank both. But the main difference is knob settings. It is much more easier to set volume/gain ratio since the pedal reacting a little different than V1. Knobs are also bigger which makes it easier for fat fingers.
    Obviously V2 has "cali" setting which V1 has not. It brings out even more gain and nice low end to sound like a traditional california amp. I liked it.

Pre/post setting for the boost is very handy. You can set it pre and use it as your crunch button. It is pushing the sansamp (or the amp you are using) in a tasty crunch rhythm tone.

I was just a little disgruntled about V1 sansamp knobs. When i set the gain knob at 9 o'clock for a dead clean tone, i had to crank the level full to avoid a volume drop and i had no more headroom. Tech 21 solved that issue in Fly Rig 5 V2 and I am happier now :) I have much more headroom. EQ's are identical to my ears.

Delay sound is also dead on. Only difference is while V1 has a "drift" knob, we see V2 has a button for it. On V1 it is up to you how much modulation you want on your delay and when you crank the knob all the way, it is severe. On V2 it is there, or not, an it is very subtle.

There some other additions on V2 which i'm not gonna talk about since there is nothing to campare with V1. To sum up, V2 has reverb on/of footswitch, reverb room size button, DI out, fx loop, built-in tuner, dotted 8th button for tap delay, pre/post button for boost, "cali" button for OD, seperate speaker sim on/off button (you have to close preamp for it on V1) in addition to V1.

V2 is little wider than V1 but still fairly compact and small. I highly recommend it who likes the Fly Rig 5 V1. Trust me, you won't regret upgrading it!

Soothsayer likes this.
  13. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

14. Warkli

Warkli Member

15. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

That is it, thanks @Warkli! I may have to give it a try, I want to run the time based stuff through the loop of my HRD.

Warkli likes this.
  16. dh2018

dh2018 Member

I like my FR5 v1, except being noisy. Is the new version quieter?

17. USERNAMETAKEN

USERNAMETAKEN Member

THIS. Had to sell mine as the noise was too much for home recording, the delay and amp had a hiss that never went away. Is the V2 quieter?

dh2018 likes this.
  18. Warkli

Warkli Member

@USERNAMETAKEN @dh2018

The plexi section is really noisy when you crank the gain (i mean noisier than my other distortion pedals). That doesn't bother me since i am using the gain knob about 2-3 o'clock at most. But after 3 o'clock background noise becomes suddenly huge, almost unusable.

I did not recognize any noise in the sansamp and delay sections though. It's weird.