Flyering and Band Promotion

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Ice Monster, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Ice Monster

Ice Monster Member

Hello there,

I just thought I'd ask for your opinions regarding the ancient art of promotion for your band.

I've been in bands before, infact, my previous band did fairly well (on a small scale) in terms of getting some radio play and nice gigs. However, where we really fell down was hype, band promotion, gig attendance and enthusiasm.

On the second go round with a band, I find myself alot more weary about the decisions we're making. We don't even have a recorded song yet, but we're in talks of booking a gig to make sure we hone ourselves towards it. Not that we don't take it seriously, we just want to be polished.

Anyway. The main question I ask is.

If your a band, supporting a bigger touring act at a local venue, is it a good idea or a waste of time to start flyering for a gig? When we have no recorded material on websites for people to listen to.
    The other guitarist believes it will build intrigue in the band and promote a sense of mystery. I think I agree that it seems like a good idea, our singer works at a printing company so we can get alot of flyers made for free.

Also, another problem I'm having is that, myself and the drummer are the new guys in the band, and I don't want to come across bossy, but currently the other guitarist and bassist don't own tuner pedals. When we have practice, I let them borrow mine. I don't want to be bossy, but it's something I consider to be critical. Any suggestions how I could encourage them to get one?

What do you guys think? And any advice in general?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  2. Staticbuster

Staticbuster Member

Yes, promotion is a must. I agree with your co-guitarist; flyering will only build intrigue. Also, if you are on the bill with a tour band as you say, that alone should lend you some cred, and like wise should be promoted to help the touring act.

As for tuners, after a while the other members hopefully will realize that it's something they need. That's what happened with my bass player.

Now, go PROMOTE!!!! :aok

3. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Flyering: really depends on the town. The people who, by far, pay the most attention to band posters are...other people putting up posters. Often on top of the poster they're briefly noticing. A lot of towns have poster bans, and the ones that don't often have a huge number of bands, promoters and other businesses competing for the same display space, with no honor among thieves.

It takes a lot of posters to sink into public consciousness, over a prolonged period of time. If you're doing less than a thousand per event, you're probably not serious. "Real" advertising campaigns have real budgets and serious coverage. If you're not putting up a new run every week for a year, you're probably not serious enough about it and just looking around for something concrete to do so you can say you've "promoted the hell out of the show".

In general, musicians will do anything to avoid rehearsing, writing new songs, or re-writing the existing less-than-groundshaking material. All the posters in the world won't get you past mediocre performances and forgettable material.

4. B Money

B Money Member

I wouldn't worry too much about promotion at this point. Seems like you are "putting the cart before the horse".
    First priority should be getting tuners for the bass player and guitarist. You say that your band wants to be polished, yet they're borrowing your tuner for rehearsals. Whats going to happen at gig time when they need to tune? Stop the set so they can plug into your tuner? Lame, and totally bush league.
    Second priority should be to actually write some songs and gig them before you even think about recording. The best way to figure out what songs are good and which suck is to play them for a neutral audience. By that I mean, not just your friends and family who are going to tell you that they love it, even if it actually stinks. It's a brutal process that will damage your ego, but ultimately you'll get better songs out of it. Until you have a strong set of tunes, I would bother with trying to promote the band too much.
    In fact, you could be shooting yourself in the foot if you over-promote too early. If you can actually get some people to come to your show, and then you stink up the joint, it ain't going to help.
    And lastly, I agree with tiktok. Nobody looks at flyers/banners except other band members, and then only because they are looking for thier own flyer, not yours.

5. Ice Monster

Ice Monster Member

So, One for, Two against.
    Does the fact that we can get the flyers for free suggest we may well do it? My thought was that if we're promoting the show, and we don't have any recorded material available for them to check out. Anyone who actually does investigate the flyer isn't going to learn anything more.

Building hype by mystery is hard when we've haven't really got anything to hide at the moment.

I agree. The gig we've got coming up will really be a good road test for the new songs and the band itself. The previously mentioned guitarist/bassist haven't played a gig before, but they should be fine.

6. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

The killer on effective postering isn't the cost of making the posters--it's the significant time and effort required to put them up.

Some cities offer postering services that'll handle the legwork, and who have standing agreements with businesses who allow them to put the posters up (and if you're not using that company, you probably won't be allowed to put a poster up in those places). My experience is that such services are around $120/500 posters.