• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Flying V case or gig bag with lower bout storage?

Grenville

Just got myself a lovely 2012 Bacchus BFV Korina '58-style Flying V.

It did come with a case, but like many cases, not much room for a strap in there.

The case it came with is flat-ended like the Stagg or ProRockGear ones on Ebay, and the 'block' that goes between the V's fins inside the case doesn't open up into a storage compartment like the interior block did in my old mid-70s Ibanez Rocket Roll case.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Grenville

Thanks tone, I'm not asking should I get one or the other, I'm asking if there's a case or gig bag with space to store a guitar strap in it too. ;)

PS the pocket under the neck in the case I already have won't fit my lovely Italia leather strap, it's too think!

morglan

I have the exact same V (love it) and I bought an SKB case.

Beware--the case is very well made, but the Vs (Bacchus, Epiphone, or Gibson) don't take up all the room, so they move around in the case. (The size difference is substantial.) I'm just going to roll up a cotton towel and stuff it in the bottom until I bother to cut some foam to put in it.

Grenville

Note: I DO HAVE A CASE.

I'm asking if there's something better out there, another type of case or gig-bag.

Ta. ;)

Grenville

Looks like a huge compartment for your strap
Thanks Flying V 83. Unfortunately, this wonderful notice shows up in the right corner:

I did go and buy a less bulky strap, which I really like. But that's not going easily into the current case either.

PS I'd love to get a used Gibson case, they're not at all common over here!

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I know this is probably a stupid question, but if there's no metal hardware on the strap, why not just coil it up and put it in the case beside the neck or headstock? If there IS metal, why not make a canvas bag to put it in and do the same?

Grenville

Too thick to fit safely, Bob. That's right under the spot where neck meets headstock, where you don't want any pressure on a Gibson-type guitar.

At the moment I've removed the styrene block/insert between the wings of the guitar and will get something cut to put there with space for a strap. Unfortunately the block was held in place with copious amounts of glue, and there's solid blotches of fabric glue all over that area. Hopefully it will all tidy up well.

EDIT: Just saying it again: the old Ibanez case had a compartment in this area rather than just a solid block of polystyrene, I don't know why more case makers don't do this.

Last edited:

Trending Topics