Flying V question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by redfro, Aug 17, 2008.

1. redfro

redfro Member

I just picked up a 1993 V in tobacco sunburst, and I was curious if anyone knows how rare this finish is. I've only seen 1 other one, and really dig it.

Anyone?

[​IMG]

2. auraelux

auraelux Member

I think I remember reading about this in a Gibson board, but apparently Gibson doesn't finish these in any sort of Sunburst very often. I'd say you have something special on your hands. Gibson has done a lot of weird/rare stuff with the flying v, like that Flying V Bass that was manufactured for like half a year I CAN'T FIND IT ANYWHERE!!!!!

3. auraelux

auraelux Member

lol why yes that's the one. Wow, what a find. Only 375 of those were ever made. Not even an entire year, just the beginning of 1981. I don't think that guy knows what he's selling.

4. rastus

rastus Member

I had one brand new I bought on the employee plan when I worked there, it was a 90 in Vintage Sunburst. I was the station before QC and color selection before the guitars went to be sanded and grain filled before finishing. At that time Explorers and V's were much more commonly sprayed VSB, much more so than in the last few years. Even back then they were rare, maybe 1 or two in every 16. We made about that many (2 racks) of V reissues every day. White, Ebony, and Cherry were more common, with a pretty even split between the three, VSB was always rare on these models, although on the Firebird and Thunderbird VSB was the stock finish, with Cherry being the rarest, although Ferrari (Cardinal) Red was just about as rare.

I loved my sunburst V and gave it to my Cousim's eldest son for his 21st b'day. He still uses it as backup to his SG Custom.

5. redfro

redfro Member

Can you tell I've been surfing ebay for the right V?
    :)

6. redfro

redfro Member

Thanks!!!!

And it's the same finish as my firebird....which sound look great on stage!

7. seajay

seajay Member

Oh man. I came so close to buying the same model/finish Flying V in the mid-1990's. I think the one I was looking at was a '92 though. If I recall correctly, they wanted $450 for it.

The fact that it's a rare finish makes me wish even more that I grabbed that guitar. :(

8. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

I had a black one around 2000/2001 & sold it for $750-900, back when I was flippin'....DUH!!! There was a lot of money to be made if I had held on for a while!...oh well

Tony