Flying V thread!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Anje, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

Hi,

it's been some time I'm looking at V's, definitively on the short list, but they are quite rare and I would appreciate inputs about them :)

Early Schenker-UFO kind of tone is a big thing I have in mind, but playing some more bluesy stuff would be nice too..

I seemed to look mainly at 2 kind of Vs: on one hand old 70's era ones, and on the other hand Korina Reissues.

First of all, are they some differences (year,..) within each of these 2 categories? early 70's any better than late 70's one for instance?

For the Korina model, I've seen mainly 2 types, the Gibson Reissues, quite pricey, and the Hamer Vector. I don't want to turn these thread into a Gison/Hamer argument, but I would be interested in some comparaison of the 2 if someone has been able to play both :)

I'd prefer a "not too big" neck, little slimer than my early 2000 R9 LP, somewhere around my early '60 LP Special and '73 LP Deluxe would be great. Would there be important differences for the neck between the different models? would you recomment one as far as this criteria is concerned?

In general which model of V between an good old 70's one and a Korina model would you choose? or maybe even another model? why?

The most important for me is the playing vibe, having great feeling while playing it, big resonance... and the tone.
    I'm not looking for a collector piece.

any advice in general will be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

2. satinsixstring

satinsixstring Member

I know others will disagree with me on this, but I LOVE the standard 67 V that gibson is making right now for my blues sounds.

Yeah, it's wierd, but into a Fender amp, those crazy strong pickups really give just enough grit to distort heavy chords, and clean up for solos - while still retaining volume.

3. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I owned several Gibby V's over the years. Great guitars, just wonderful.

A friend has a Hamer Vector, and another has one of those korina Gibby reissues. They both are GREAT guitars, but I have to say the korina Vector **SMOKED** everything I've ever played - Gibson *OR* Hamer. An incredible guitar.

--chiba

4. HEY!YOU!

HEY!YOU! Senior Member

I picked up this 84 Korina V a while back. Put some WCR Darkbursts & RS kit in it.......A tone that kills. 6+ lbs, easy to play. Faded from white to yellow.

[​IMG]

5. gregc

gregc Member

I went for the Hamer Korina. Great build, great setup, great tone, great piece of Korina. Oh yea, great price~
    gregc

6. bubbagomez

bubbagomez Supporting Member

This is neither Gibson nor Hamer, but it's a Flying V, it's USA made, plays fantastic, sounds amazing, and looks sharp too. Dean is building some great USA guitars. And they can be found relatively inexpensively.
    [​IMG]

7. satinsixstring

satinsixstring Member

+1 to Bubba's comments

Every USA dean I have play I liked, alot

8. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

thanks for all the inputs guys!

bubba, how is the neck on these US Dean's ?

9. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Personally, I'm not crazy about the 70's Vs. The neck sits very high off the body and comes off straight; no back-tilt. It seems kind of klunky and "not right".

I've played some great Korina re-issues, and some real dogs. Very inconsistent, and as mentioned quite pricey.

I'm with satinstring; the '67 re-issues are the way to go if you want a Gibson. Consistently good, never played one I didn't love, and relatively cheap. I think you'd like the neck better than the Korinas too.

/rick

10. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

I would go with a '67 RI. They are great, great guitars. A few years ago I picked up one for 700.00. It was made in 1990. It's an off white, and the neck is just so smooth. The bridge pickup makes you want to rock, but the neck pickup has a great blues tone. Very thick, and sweet.

11. bubbagomez

bubbagomez Supporting Member

The neck has a noticable V-shape. The binding is rounded over. It's slightly chunky, but surprisingly comfortable, like a very well-played old guitar. You can really rip on it!

12. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

thanks for all the inputs guys!
    hard thinking and searching for now ... :YinYang

13. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I had a 79 silverburst. It played like a dream. The pups had to go, but once I put some good ones in it killed. The late 70s ones are the way to go. They are, however, way overpriced.

14. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

This thread got me thinking about early Andy Powell/Wishbone Ash - great V sounds (into original Orange/Matamp)!

15. k_kush

k_kush Member

I struggled to decide between a Korina Vector and this flame top Vector... you can probably guess which one came home based on the pic.

I like this one so much,...I'll probably pick up the Korina Vector down the road too.

Hamer makes a great guitar.

[​IMG]

16. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I have a luscious Gibson CS Korina '59 reissue. Pricey indeed, but what a sound! It is of course a string-thru hardtail, and has its original 57 PAFs in it. The neck is typical Gibbo '59 though, which while not as huge as 57s or 58s, is still substantial, and may be a bit large for you from your description. Still, if you can find one, and would be willing to put up the cash, it's a remarkable play. AC

17. scottlr

scottlr Member

One of my worst moves was to let my original 67 V go many years ago. I have a few pictures somewhere and a lot of memories.
    AC, I'd love one of those 59 RIs! In the very early 70s, I got to see Billy Gibbons' 59 up close and personal. I think he even let me hold it for a few minutes, because I seem to recall trying out the non-skid thingie on the bottom to see how well it held on my knee. A really nice guy to let a 15 year old hippie kid check out such a guitar! I also got to see Pearly Gates up close as well as a 3 pup LP Custom w/Bigsby he had just scored at a pawn shop for $75! But I have always lusted after those original Vs. Such a cool design. I liked the 67 just fine, being a Wishbone Ash fan for a long time, but that 59 was always in my mind.

18. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

thanks a lot for all the inputs

yes Korina 59's look great, but man $5000 :jo don't know if I'm ready to put that amount of money in a new guitar
    On the other hand the one Mark has on his website looks awesome...

19. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

looks great!

btw how are the necks on these Hamer Korina? (compared to the Gibson's Reissue for instance)