Flying Vs - 58 shape vs 67 - anyone have specs or schematics?

Che_Guitarra

Wondering if anyone has schematics or an overlay of a 58 and a 67 flying V body shapes. Just wanting to compare the differences - ie - shoulder sizes/shapes at the neck joint, length and angle of the fins, radius on the points... that kinda stuff. Obviously the pickguard and tailpiece are different, but that's not what i'm asking here.

Cheers if you can help.

bluegrif

I have a book called "The Gibson" from 1996, which was a Japanese publication that was printed in several languages, including my English edition. It goes into a great deal of detail on the differences. Most of the changes made in 67 were done to make the guitar less costly to produce. It's way too much for me to transcribe here but there are many differences in construction, almost all geared to cost cutting. People tend to focus on the pickguard and tailpiece, but those were the tip of the iceburg. The shoulders and the way the neck and heel is constructed are entirely different. Even the construction of the headstock is a more elaborate affair on the 58. I haven't been able to find anything online that details the differences as well as that book.

bluegrif

It's a great book BTW, and apparently now rare:

http://r.ebay.com/3iDcOy

Look up some photos of the two styles and pay particular attention to the shoulders, the neck heel construction, the woodgrain (bookmatched Korina running parallel to the outside edges. 67 style is just one or two piece mahogany, grain running parallel with the neck), headstock construction (center piece with glued on "wings"), pickup routing (tight on the 58 with only a small channel for the wiring -- more extensive routing for the 67, with pickguard mounted pickups, easier and faster assembly), and so on. Of course string through verses the simple stop tail of the 67. Often, when you see a cheap 58 style replica (such as the Epiphone), many of the details are missing. Such as the distinctive heel cap and headstock wings. Once you know what to look for it'll be obvious.

Che_Guitarra

I just did this overlay. Looks like the 67 body has a lot more purchase on the neck tenon joint. Personally, I think this is more aesthetically pleasing than the 58 style, which to my tastes looks a bit too clunky at the shoulder.

I'm asking of the shape differences because I want another V as a backup to the one I have. As a DIY fiend i'd really like to tackle a Precision Guitar Kit, but they only offer V kits in the 58 style. I was hoping I could modify the 58 shape to look like a 67, but the overlay demonstrates that's gonna be impossible. If I want the 67 shape, looks like DIY is off the cards.

Mpcoluv

Ergonomically, the 58 shape is better for me. The 67 chunky shoulders hurt upper fret access.

Trending Topics