FM Transmitter as low-fi wireless IEM?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by n9ne, Apr 13, 2016.

1. n9ne

n9ne Member

I'm wanting to get into the world of IEM and a relatively silent stage...but I don't gig frequently enough to justify a professional-grade IEM system. I'm considering a couple of the cheaper IEM solutions (Galaxy Audio, VocoPro, etc)...but it also occurs to me that I might be able to get away with using a decent whole-house FM transmitter and pocket radio.

However, I can't seem to find any information about anyone doing this in a live band context. I'm just wondering if it's a feasible solution, or are there are glaring issues that would prevent it from working? (Aside from the obvious risk of radio interference and having to find a clean frequency for every gig).

2. SinglecutGuy

SinglecutGuy Supporting Member

I would imagine that you don't hear about it because that's more of a bedroom science experiment. Connectors are going to be different which means adapters, which means signal loss and noise. Tolerances and frequency responses are also going to compress the signal, I would imagine. It may "work", but I don't think you'll find that it's pleasing.

For what it's worth, CAD makes a really affordable IEM set that is tremendous for $349. I've sold a few of them to people who are like you and while they can afford a Shure/Sennheiser/etc, they can't justify spending that much for their situation. I would stay away from the VocoPro stuff. PM if you'd like any other details.

3. n9ne

n9ne Member

Thanks for the input...much appreciated.

In my search for affordable IEM solutions, I never saw any mention of the CAD system....but the features appear to be head-and-shoulders above anything else in that price range. Frequency agility and dual armature earbuds for $349? Most units at that price point offer neither of those features.....and the CAD system has both. Needless to say, it shot straight to the top of my list.

Like I said...my days of gigging steadily are long gone, and $350 is at the high end of what I'd consider spending. But that's tremendous bang for the buck; from what I've seen, nothing else in that sub-$500 price range even comes close. VERY much appreciated.