FM3 Perfect Strangers Demo

hippietim

Yesterday, I posted a preset and demo of Blue Collar Man with the FM3.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/30009746/

Someone on the Fractal forum mentioned adapting it for Perfect Strangers. So I got to foolin' around with doing a patch just to see how I'd pull it off. I don't know the tune so I played a couple parts reading the tab I found. The preset has three scenes - 1) is for the organ intro part, 2) is a simple Marshall, and 3) is my attempt at spreading the stereo image with the cello and guitar.

I did hit some some CPU issues along the way because it uses some of the most expensive blocks - Pitch, Synth, Amp, Cab. I yanked out the Reverb block to get some headroom and used the Multitap Delay with a Quad Delay set to 100ms apart and a pretty high diffusion level - I was talking to @Matman one day and he mentioned a technique like this to get some Reverb type sound without the Reverb block - I think this is what he was talking about (if not, please jump in Matt and correct me).

The amp, cab, and rotary are all set the same as the Blue Collar Man preset. One thing I did change was the pitch block. For Blue Collar Man, I had added an upper 5th mixed back a good bit so I needed to use the Quad Shift mode. By dropping the upper 5th (which wasn't right for this anyhow), I could change it to a Dual Shift and save a good bit of CPU.

Some more time could be spent refining the faux violin and balancing it better.

To use the preset you'll need to get the Violin_Mix IR from this post and load it into USER IR slot 5 (or change cabinet channel B to use the appropriate position in the USER IR Bank):
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-iii-violin.138531/post-1647394

Anyhow, here's a half-assed demo:

Preset available here:
https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=7718

hippietim

That's awesome. Perfect Strangers is one of my favourite Purple albums so I'll judge to give this a go by converting it over to the Axe-Fx III.
I didn’t spend a lot of time getting the synth part mixed very well - it should be more dominant I started with the Synth block from the violin patch with the IR - I added a lower octave to the 3rd voice of the synth block. The Channel B of the Cab block is running in stereo with the cello IR on one side and a 4x12 on the other with the amp and synth panned hard going in. Adding a volume block set to the slow gear mode helps the attack but it also slows it down too much for this I think. It was getting late so I stopped messing with it. But I’d like to try the ADSR on the Synth to adjust the attack. Also, there’s more potential goodness in the Resonator.

TonePilot

Silver Supporting Member
Your demos show off the unit’s capabilities much better than the official one that was posted a few days back.

Fireproof

That was awesome. Loved the intro especially. I don’t have an Axe currently - can you share what effects you used just for the intro?

hippietim

That was awesome. Loved the intro especially. I don’t have an Axe currently - can you share what effects you used just for the intro?
That signal path would be:

In -> Amp (Plexi 2204) -> Cab (some 4x12 I forgot) -> Pitch -> Rotary -> Quad Delay (as reverb) -> Out

So there's only two interesting effects here: Pith and Rotary. The Pitch block is set to Dual Shift which is a fixed pitch shifter - Octave Up and Octave Down - the lower octave mix is down to like 75%. The Rotary block is literally the default block settings other than I dropped the speed to very slow.

Fireproof

That signal path would be:

In -> Amp (Plexi 2204) -> Cab (some 4x12 I forgot) -> Pitch -> Rotary -> Quad Delay (as reverb) -> Out

So there's only two interesting effects here: Pith and Rotary. The Pitch block is set to Dual Shift which is a fixed pitch shifter - Octave Up and Octave Down - the lower octave mix is down to like 75%. The Rotary block is literally the default block settings other than I dropped the speed to very slow.
That's awesome - thanks so much. I only really have experience with basic effects. I'll have to mess with Pitch and Rotary effects. Very cool.

hippietim

I'm going to see what I can do with the HX Stomp...
The only issue with the HX Stomp is that they do not have polyphonic pitch shifting support. Having said that, the organ intro lick is all just double stops of perfect fourths and pitch harmony is just octaves, it may work ok.

Trending Topics