FM3 quick questions

Brandon7s

After consideration and going around for weeks, I'm considering an FM3. With that, can FM3 owners chime in to the following?

1. Has the FM3 replaced your amp and analog pedals? If so are you happy or have any regrets?
2. Do you use any other external midi controllers in lieu of the FC-6? Do they work well?
3. Are there any effects that aren't as super as expected being Fractal? (IE...on some multis, the pitch effects aren't good, etc..)
4. Do you use an FRFR?
5. Do you use an expression with it for wah? If so, does it sound realistic. Which exp pedal?

Any pros/cons to note?
1. I've always used modelers at home so I didn't have any amps here to replace, but it has successfully replaced all of my other modelers and all of my pedals though I do use a SA Ventris both because I love it's plate and e-dome algorithms and because it takes quite a load off of the DSP - reverb blocks are expensive, DSP-wise.

2. I don't own any external MIDI controllers yet, though I've seriously considered getting an MC8. I find that I can get a LOT of mileage out of a simple two-button footswitch and an expression pedal though, enough that I've not yet been able to justify an external controller.

3. All of the effects I've used so far are exceptionally good. Chorus, delay, tremolo, drives, those are all ones that I use regularly and they are best-in-class in comparison to everything else I've ever used. Like I mentioned above I'm using an external reverb pedal but that's mostly to save DSP costs, though I do like the Ventris' plate algo more.

4: Yep, I use headphones (DT1990, DT770, HD6XX, HD58X) and studio monitors (LSR308s and 305s).

5. Not tried the wah effect yet but I do use an expression pedal. I've tried both a cheap dunlop and a cheap m-audio one and both work flawlessly. Just gotta go through the settings and calibrate them first.

Pros: sounds awesome in every way.

Cons: Bit low on available DSP, especially if you're using its internal reverbs. Hardware interface is generally a pain to use, doing complex things can take a while. Software editor is very good and I recommend using it whenever possible.

dpgreek

Silver Supporting Member
1. I've always used modelers at home so I didn't have any amps here to replace, but it has successfully replaced all of my other modelers and all of my pedals though I do use a SA Ventris both because I love it's plate and e-dome algorithms and because it takes quite a load off of the DSP - reverb blocks are expensive, DSP-wise.

2. I don't own any external MIDI controllers yet, though I've seriously considered getting an MC8. I find that I can get a LOT of mileage out of a simple two-button footswitch and an expression pedal though, enough that I've not yet been able to justify an external controller.

3. All of the effects I've used so far are exceptionally good. Chorus, delay, tremolo, drives, those are all ones that I use regularly and they are best-in-class in comparison to everything else I've ever used. Like I mentioned above I'm using an external reverb pedal but that's mostly to save DSP costs, though I do like the Ventris' plate algo more.

4: Yep, I use headphones (DT1990, DT770, HD6XX, HD58X) and studio monitors (LSR308s and 305s).

5. Not tried the wah effect yet but I do use an expression pedal. I've tried both a cheap dunlop and a cheap m-audio one and both work flawlessly. Just gotta go through the settings and calibrate them first.

Pros: sounds awesome in every way.

Cons: Bit low on available DSP, especially if you're using its internal reverbs. Hardware interface is generally a pain to use, doing complex things can take a while. Software editor is very good and I recommend using it whenever possible.
Comparing DSP to what it can do versus other modelers...I don't think should be a huge issue. Plus, I'm not a big reverb guy. I use a plate with a subtle mix and I'm done. Don't like spring much and I'm not all into the shimmer PW stuff

FPFL

if people can't run enough FX on an FM3, my advice? Give up guitar and play keyboards! : )

Example - I run drive, phaser, chorus, amp, pitch shift, delay, plex delay, and reverb in my default live preset at ~78% CPU.

There's no cab block b/c I use real cabs for live.

dpgreek

Silver Supporting Member
if people can't run enough FX on an FM3, my advice? Give up guitar and play keyboards! : )

Example - I run drive, phaser, chorus, amp, pitch shift, delay, plex delay, and reverb in my default live preset at ~78% CPU.

so you run A SS power amp into 2x12 or 4x12?

FPFL

Yes, I have both 2 and 4 by 12 cabs. Depends on the gig and how my back is feeling : )

I've been using SS for years - Matrix (needs to go in the shop), Quilter TB200 (mono) and Seymour Duncan 700 (stereo) most recently.

FPFL

I don't think tube automatically any better (esp with the great EQ on the SD700), but I believe it does feel different, how much that matters depends on the person.

jzgtrguy

I build my digital rig just like I did my analog rigs. I start with a clean pedal platform amp and a few effects. Typically:

Input-> Volume->Compressor ->Drive block (A = blues drive and B= Zen Drive) ->Amp ->Cab -> Tremolo-> Delay ->Reverb and out.

I use a Moog EP3 expression pedal. $50 most places. Plug and play you just need a TRS cable

Kruegmeister

1. Has the FM3 replaced your amp and analog pedals? If so are you happy or have any regrets?
2. Do you use any other external midi controllers in lieu of the FC-6? Do they work well?
3. Are there any effects that aren't as super as expected being Fractal? (IE...on some multis, the pitch effects aren't good, etc..)
4. Do you use an FRFR?
5. Do you use an expression with it for wah? If so, does it sound realistic. Which exp pedal?

1. Yes.
a) I like my Amp in the Room Sound & miss that, but could not get my Tube Amp Quiet enough.
b) If my Amp was Quiet enough it didn't sound that good, so the FM3 sounds better for the Small Clubs
2. No. I did add a FC-6 because the OMG9 is fantastic!! (Yes I stole 1st Answer, cause its so Correct)
3. Effects are awesome.
a) I may keep my FullDrive 2 PreMosfet cause it gives me that "Violin" Lead Solo, that I have not re-created on the FM3 as of yet...
4. I have an RCF NX 12-SMA from when I was using the AxeFX II before going back to Tube/Analog Pedalboard
5. I have a Mission Engineering SP-1, I use it with Wah set to AutoEngage. I am using the Switch as it is "Maintained" if I need to Engage my Virtual Capo 1/2 step down, tho I am starting to bring 2 Guitars with 1 Tuned down, cause the Virtual Capo just doesn't always cut it for me. I've tried a lot: PitchFork, Digitech Whammy, Mooer Pitch Box. Just never sounds as good, but can get you through in an pinch. Yes the Wah sounds great

Last edited:

dpgreek

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for all the feedback.

Next question is.... about FRFR / PA or studio monitors. I've been reading a lot and keep seeing people talk about their cab /speakers choices and to be honest, some are way high. If I did get an FM3, I'd sell most of my stuff, but still don't want to spend a ton on an FRFR or PA. Are there any good speakers in a loewer / mid range price that could do FM3 tones justice? IE...I saw Pete Thorns headrush speaker demo...looked interesting and it's pretty well priced.

On same token, has anyone instead just ponied up for a good set of studio monitors that can handle some power instead of any kind of monitor / floor situation?

Most of my playing is silent / through headphones... but I do crank up my current PA speaker (el cheapo Harbinger I inherited) a few times a week to play louder. But It's not SUPER loud...so wondering if a good set of Yamahas or something could fit the bill.

I'm really really leaning towards FM3 now to be honest. Last night I used my HX Stomp and dialed in some good sounds into an IR. I ABed with Kingsley Constable / Maiden into power amp sim / CAB IR. Very similar results, but will say the Kingsleys sounded better. Leads me to feel like perhaps with more fine-tuning within something revered like the FM3, I could get even closer and be happy.

Rather than start a new thread, was hoping to piggyback as I am very interested in the FM3 (moving from a Kemper). I'd like to scoop one up but they're out of stock and I am eye-balling the B Stocks.

Has anyone ever had a bad experience with a B Stock and what was the result?

caballero59

Thanks for all the feedback.

Next question is.... about FRFR / PA or studio monitors. I've been reading a lot and keep seeing people talk about their cab /speakers choices and to be honest, some are way high. If I did get an FM3, I'd sell most of my stuff, but still don't want to spend a ton on an FRFR or PA. Are there any good speakers in a loewer / mid range price that could do FM3 tones justice? IE...I saw Pete Thorns headrush speaker demo...looked interesting and it's pretty well priced.

On same token, has anyone instead just ponied up for a good set of studio monitors that can handle some power instead of any kind of monitor / floor situation?

Most of my playing is silent / through headphones... but I do crank up my current PA speaker (el cheapo Harbinger I inherited) a few times a week to play louder. But It's not SUPER loud...so wondering if a good set of Yamahas or something could fit the bill.

I'm really really leaning towards FM3 now to be honest. Last night I used my HX Stomp and dialed in some good sounds into an IR. I ABed with Kingsley Constable / Maiden into power amp sim / CAB IR. Very similar results, but will say the Kingsleys sounded better. Leads me to feel like perhaps with more fine-tuning within something revered like the FM3, I could get even closer and be happy.
I have a pair of RCF 310a's as well as RCF HD32a's and they do a great job but to be honest, I grapped a recent sale on the well-regarded JBL 305p Mk II's. They sit on either side of my desk and sound great. I use the headphone ouput on the FM3 to play quiet when my wife is home, or I can flip the power switches on the JBLs when she is gone. FM3 also has built-in looper, great tuner, and 48k/24 bit, 4 channel interface straight into Reaper for recording. Bang for the buck is crazy good.

dpgreek

Silver Supporting Member
JBL 305p Mk II's. They sit on either side of my desk and sound great. I use the headphone ouput on the FM3 to play quiet when my wife is home, or I can flip the power switches on the JBLs when she is gone.
Those sound pretty good. Ill look into those or the larger ones if I went that route. I need a good set of monitors, but I don't want to blow them by cranking up too loud. That's why Im leaning towards a decent PA or FRFR powered cab so i can still have that amp on the floor feel too.

Void_pointer

I have to second this. I run out of ideas for effects to add before I run out of CPU

suttoc

1. Has the FM3 replaced your amp and analog pedals? If so are you happy or have any regrets? Yes in that I have not turned on my analog amps in almost a year. I had an AX8 prior to the FM3. No regrets.
2. Do you use any other external midi controllers in lieu of the FC-6? Do they work well? Just a stand in switch. I don't need any other controller for my needs.
3. Are there any effects that aren't as super as expected being Fractal? (IE...on some multis, the pitch effects aren't good, etc..) Everything as expected. My only wish is the pitch block being updated to the III, but that may not be possible due to software capabilities. Which I'm totally fine with. Currently using the Drop pedal.
4. Do you use an FRFR? Yes, pair of Headrush 112s. Looking to upgrade to an Atomic CLR. But the Headrush speakers sound great to my ears.
5. Do you use an expression with it for wah? If so, does it sound realistic. Which exp pedal? I actually set up a custom auto wah that sounds fantastic and absolutely natural. I did previously use a pedal for wah and yes it sounded great, with some tweaking. I use the EV2.

Any pros/cons to note? The FM3 is in the top 3 musical purchases I've made in 30 years of playing. I recommend watching all of Leon Todd's videos for great suggestions at getting great tone.

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
My 2cents...

1. Has the FM3 replaced your amp and analog pedals? No, I sold it. If so are you happy or have any regrets?
2. Do you use any other external midi controllers in lieu of the FC-6? Do they work well? I did not when I had it
3. Are there any effects that aren't as super as expected being Fractal? (IE...on some multis, the pitch effects aren't good, etc..) No envelope filter...you can configure something like it, but honestly, my Pigtronix Resotron is a million times better than anything on the FM3.
4. Do you use an FRFR?I did, but have a crappy PM12a. I recommend getting a much better speaker, like a Yamaha DXR. Heck, maybe even the Headrush would be better than what I had.
5. Do you use an expression with it for wah? Nope. If so, does it sound realistic. Which exp pedal?

I really liked the out of the box amp tones - the presets are decent and I guess the IRs they provide are pretty good. I just found the device clumsy to use. I need to be able to use the front panel and it's not intuitive at all. The software worked pretty well tho' [easy to use]. I prefer the Helix, although that new Neural DSP Quad Cortex looks really great and simple to use.

dpgreek

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, pair of Headrush 112s. Looking to upgrade to an Atomic CLR. But the Headrush speakers sound great to my ears.
Interesting as the Headrushes seem pretty great for the price. You used two for stereo?

I prefer the Helix, although that new Neural DSP Quad Cortex looks really great and simple to use.
Did you prefer the interface, etc.. or the sounds/effects?

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
Interesting as the Headrushes seem pretty great for the price. You used two for stereo?

Did you prefer the interface, etc.. or the sounds/effects?
The Helix UI is better for me. I'd tip the amp models in favor of the FM3. Effects...seemed about the same except the envelope filter, which I need.

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
Rather than start a new thread, was hoping to piggyback as I am very interested in the FM3 (moving from a Kemper). I'd like to scoop one up but they're out of stock and I am eye-balling the B Stocks.

Has anyone ever had a bad experience with a B Stock and what was the result?
I got a b stock last week. I can't see any defects on it that would relegate it to the b stock pile. Fwiw; feels 100% more stable than my original FM on fw 1.wtever did.

Trending Topics