1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

FM3 waitlist

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by KSL, Mar 19, 2020.

1. truckin

truckin Supporting Member

So my invite came in yesterday for the headphone version. I'm going to wait and see if people report that the fixed input impedance causes issues with fuzz models. I remember liking the FF model in the Axe III but that had a variable impedance, as did the Helix and I believe the HX stomp does too. I don't understand how they overlooked this, it seems pretty important to capturing that fuzz/guitar interaction. Can anyone who has one comment on the viability of the fuzz models?

X-Mann likes this.
  2. SinglecutGuy

SinglecutGuy Supporting Member

Is there even a point to getting on the wait list now?

3. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

Yeah, I think so. Eventually it’ll speed up and you’re name will come up quicker. They seem to be moving at a good clip now.

4. joesatch

joesatch Member

Either hundreds/thousands signed up on the 23rd or they're only shipping a dozen units a day.. it's taking them a week just to go from 3pm to 5pm

5. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

For those in Europe, I just got the invite for non-HP FM3.

mikah912 and JiveTurkey like this.
  6. Philo

Philo Member

the first four days went about one hour on the list per day; today went through two hours of the list (to at least 6:38 PM EST).

joesatch likes this.
  7. Hackdog69

Hackdog69 Silver Supporting Member

I'm 4/24 11:16 am, I am hoping its next week :drool

8. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

I’m actually surprised they’re shipping as fast as they are, given COVID and all.

9. Mark Al

Mark Al Member

I asked about variable impedance last year on day one when FM3 was announced, and it was confirmed that unlike Axe FX-III, FM3 does NOT have it, fuzz models will not sound or feel right, along with a few other drive models (which might not be as obvious as fuzz for many people).

I don't think this can be fixed by software, as it's a hardware design compromise made by Fractal. This is one of the reasons that motivated to get Axe III instead of FM3.

10. Prince

Prince Supporting Member

I received my FM3+FC6+EV-2 yesterday. I've just been getting used to the interface, strolling through the factory presets, and trying out various fx & amp models. So far it sounds great via headphones (ATH-M50x) and monitors (HS5). There will for sure be a learning curve, but it'll be worth it in the end. I haven't been this excited to explore new gear since I got my Helix!

stratzrus likes this.
  11. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

I can see why it bothers some, but the first thing I did in a Stomp patch was set it to 1mOhm, so it won’t bother me.

12. Mark Al

Mark Al Member

Yeah, the effect of input impedance is huge with fuzz, but it's not as obvious for other pedals, unless you A/B them side by side. Personally, I do notice it, it often affects the feel more than the tone, e.g. lower impedance making it feel a bit "loose" or "fat". For example, Tube Screamer input impedance is 446K, you can try A/B that with 1M to see if that difference matters to you, heck, you might even prefer the 1M regardless of it's "real".

That being said, even HX Stomp has variable impedance, I wish FM3 had not omitted it.

PaisleyWookie likes this.
  13. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Silver Supporting Member

Just to be clear, is this "variable impedance" thing only an issue for people using external fuzz pedals or does it affect drive blocks within the unit and if so, how?

Sure.

The time will inevitably pass. It did for me before I knew it but I'm not one of those who was suffering from "Christmas Eve anxiety".

I got on the list a little over a year ago. You definitely won't have to wait nearly that long.

14. truckin

It affects every pedal that sees your guitar input, so fuzz and overdrives like tubescreamers. I don't think it's an issue for people using external fuzzes, only for those who want to use the fuzzes in the unit.

stratzrus and CapnRex like this.
  15. Mark Al

Mark Al Member

Yeah, external pedals outside of FM3 in the signal chain should not be affected at all, only the first block in the unit is affected.

stratzrus likes this.
  16. stratzrus

Is this only an issue with fuzzes or all drive blocks? I tend to use the Zendtive, BB Preamp, and Timmy emulations.

17. truckin

I believe all drive blocks are different

18. Hapless

Hapless Member

I received my headphone version yesterday but had to work until 10PM, so I just got a few minutes to mess with it with headphones before I went to bed. Coming from the Axe-Fx II, the interface is SO much easier to work with. I didn't mess with it long enough to really get a feel for the factory presets or do any tweaking. Unfortunately I'm working another 15 hours today so won't be able to really dive into it until tomorrow.

Gasp100 and stratzrus like this.
  19. stratzrus

I hate it when that happens.

Well, the weekend is right around the corner. :rockin

20. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

someone should write a song about that. ;)

stratzrus likes this.