FMR Audio RNC 1773

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by feloniuspunk, Aug 18, 2005.

1. feloniuspunk

feloniuspunk Member

Anyone use one of these? Have any personal experience with one?

http://www.humbuckermusic.com/1001.html

I hear they're pretty nice. I have a Boss CS-3 Compressor/Sustainer pedal that I use sometimes but don't think all that much of it.

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-BOS-CS3--brand-36.html

The FMR 1773 costs about twice as much as the Boss pedal did but if it really does what they claim then it might be worth it. Supposedly all the top players use them. It's a half-rack type unit though, not a pedal.

2. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I don't think I've ever seen one of those in a guitar rig - they are usually used in recording setups. I'm not sure how well the RNC would perform with an instrument level signal.

Bryan

3. muddy

muddy Member

i have, as have others here. it's brilliant, but you do have to deal with the impedance issue, as it's a line level device. what i wound up doing was putting it in a loooper with a buffer before it; worked fine! i'm curious to try the new rnla, though!!

ml

4. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

I use one in my acoustic rig with an Avalon U5. Sounds great, very unimposing if you want it to be.

5. Deaj

Deaj Member

I have a RNC (Really Nice Compressor) for use with my DAW recording setup and I'm very impressed! Definitely lives up to the name. Haven't tried it as a guitar effect though.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

even if you're NOT gonna use it for guitar, and record often, this is the compressor to get. i have one, and use it for my bass rig, acoustic recording/rig, and yes, even for a few stray direct to tape electric guitar parts. amazing little box.

am actually thinking about getting the Really Nice Preamp, too.

7. E-Rock

E-Rock Member

My bass player had one on his rig for a while. It sounded great!
    They are very well made, pro gear.

8. feloniuspunk

feloniuspunk Member

I finally got a chance to try one of these RNC 1773 compressors. I used standard 1/4" jacks and hooked it up in the effects loop of my Tech 21 TM-60 since it is an unbalanced line level device.

It took me a little while to figure out what the knobs do and how they effect the signal but after a while it was easy. They are labeled with what they actually do.

I really liked it. It does what a regular compressor like a Boss does but differently and more and much better. The signal and tone didn't get sucked away like the Boss can do.

I got some great sustain out of it and with a perfectly clean signal. It has both a threshold (amount of signal taken away) and gain control (volume of signal you put back in once it's been compressed).

http://www.fmraudio.com/images/front_panel.gif

It was easy to get Santana type sounds and many others. The sustain was really cool. I felt like I could literally hold a note for as long as I wanted to.

Anyway, it works nicely for guitar but like I said there's no footswitch to switch it on and off. I'd probably leave it on all the time anyway. It fattened up my raw signal real nice. Here it is for $175 plus free shipping plus two free cables as well:

http://www.humbuckermusic.com/1001.html

9. Antero

Antero Member

Good stuff, very transparent. I've never thought of using one as a guitar effeect, but they're something good to have if you do recordings.

10. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I have one for recording and use it on guitar all the time; it works fantastically. There is nothing under $1500 that does what it does the why it does better. Nothing.

11. MAZ

MAZ Member

Well, maybe under $1k, but at $1300 you can get a Distressor and that beats an RNC by a MILE for anything you want the character of a classic recording compressor on.

The only knocks on the RNC are that, 1. it's unbalanced, can be terrible in the studio. 2. It's TOO nice at times for electric guitars or rock.

12. muddy

muddy Member

agreed. the motto "best sounding compressor under $2000" was meant in the context of a stereo, 2-channel comp.

ml