Focusrite Scarlett 2i2?? I need an interface!!!!!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by pantshappened, Feb 20, 2012.

1. pantshappened

pantshappened Member

Anyone used or have any input on the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2? I just got a MacBook Pro and would like to get into home recording. I'm thinking either that or the Presonus Audiobox USB. I know i'm just starting out with this and i don't want overkill but i'd like something decent that's gonna last. it seems that either of these are what i'm looking for. But I honestly don't know exactly what to look for in interfaces. I know I want something with 2 inputs that have the integrated jacks(where you can plug XLR or 1/4in into the same jack) and separate level controls for each channel. can anyone help me out at all in whether i should pick one of these 2? or even suggest a different. $150 is the price max

2. Little Guitars

Little Guitars Member

I have one and it's a great basic interface. Easy to use and sounds wonderful.

3. chillybilly

chillybilly Member

I have one and it works well. Uses the USB connection for power so no 60 cycle hum from an adapter.

I also got a TubeMP preamp ($60) to put in front of it for additional warmth from and greater control of mics, especially condensers.

4. pantshappened

pantshappened Member

Yeah? Would you recommend it? And which TubeMP? I see a few in that price range. I'd probably just be starting with an SM57 just for mixing guitars and stuff, nothing crazy yet. but still, good to know. Any other info on small home studio stuff would be awesome. Especially a recommendation for some affordable decent monitors also. Thanks!

5. EchoDeep

EchoDeep Member

I've got a PreSonus Audiobox and have been very pleased with it. I haven't worked with the Focusrite, but they have famous pre-amps that are probably better than the PreSonus. The build quality of the AudioBox is all metal, super high quality, I wouldn't be afraid to throw it in a loose bag (although I don't treat my gear that way :) )

As far as monitors go, my top two in the affordable category are
    Mackie MR-5 - (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/mackie-mr5mk2-2-way-reference-monitor/h72050000000000) (I have the Mk 1, these are Mk II which are super similar but do sound a bit different)
    JBL LSR 2325P - (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/jbl-lsr-2325p-5-bi-amplified-powered-studio-monitor)

I spent months researching and listening to every pair under $500 and finally settled on the Mackie MR-5's. Stay away from KRK unless you want a bass-heavy mix. They sound "good" to the ear, but don't produce an accurate mix when you play your music through other systems (unless you're doing dubstep/dance type music. Then they're just fine.) The MR-5's are very accurate and incredibly warm and crisp. The bass response is quite surprising too; not overbearing like KRK's, but I don't need a woofer to feel the kick punch. The JBL's are a little more flat as far as "accuracy" goes and sound wonderful as well, but I just felt more inspired by the MR-5's, they tickled my ears better IMO. If you want to go a little cheaper, the M-Audio Bx5a's aren't half bad. I wouldn't mix a professional album on them per se, but they're just fine. However, the Mackie's are the same price and honestly in a different league.

I also run a Tube pre-amp. Presonus TubePRE. You can find 'em for 50 bucks or less, and I've been really happy with the eletric guitar and vocal results. Much more warmth on my voice, and a TON more drive while running through Guitar Rig 4 and Amplitube 2.

6. clintmartin

clintmartin Member

I'm leaning towards the Presonus Audiobox 22VSL. It looks a lot like the 2i2 but it also has midi I/0. That may be something to consider.

7. WKG

WKG Member

I grabbed the little Saffire USB 6 to toss in the suitcase when traveling and have been really happy with it. The 212 wasn't available at that point but I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  8. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

You can get the Scarlett 212 from Amazon for $149 +15% off. I picked my up for $124 plus free 2 day shipping (Prime Membership).

I like it so far. The ASIO drivers seem to be optimized well and work better than my M-Audio Delta 44 PCI and (now defunt) Mackie Onyx Satellite (don;t get me started on how pissed I am with Mackie and their **** support for the Onyx systems...).

9. Sikor

Sikor Member

I have just got the Scarlett 2i2 :banana

I needed good sounding, simplem but with 2xXLR for home recording.

Looks like 2i2 is execatly what doctor ordered :aok

10. clintmartin

clintmartin Member

If you use the 2i2 and plug your midi controller into one of the other usb ports...will there be a conflict? I would like to have everything plugged up all the time. If that would work I would really like to have that 2i2 too. I do have a little midi interface I could use. I was thinking I would have to get an interface with midi I/O like the Presonus 22vsl.

11. mwc2112

mwc2112 Supporting Member

I have the 18i6, but I really don't use the extra ports... the 2i2 would have been just fine since I have a Midi interface (Emu X-Midi USB) already. I don't see any reason there should be a conflict with using 2 different devices since all the DAWs I've used have separate port specification when dealing with audio and Midi data.

12. chillybilly

chillybilly Member

Would definitely recommend it. Some snobs have had a go at it (and other budget units) by condemning its method of operation ('starved plate' in terms of the tube setup) but when the alternative is $500 or more than they can snob away. I know what the setup sounds like with and without it and to me it's indispensable.

I got this unit:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-...-microphone-instrument-preamp/180643000000000

Which has a surprising degree of control and features for the price. However, almost everyone recommended replacing the stock tube which I did immediately after purchase. There's no elegant way to do this except to tear down and reassemble the unit but it's only a few screws so no difficulty there.

Reference monitors in general aren't cheap (and are priced/sold individually :confused: but the KRK Rokit line gets good bang-for-buck reviews.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-...ed-5-generation-2-powered-studio-monitor-each

'Budget' is a relative term in Recordingland especially compared to guitar stuff which isn't cheap to begin with! That said my setup is:

SM57 mic or AT 2035 condenser or direct =(XLR)=> Tube MP =(XLR)=> Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 =(USB)=> DAW (Dell XPS 17 running Adobe Audition 3.0)

Monitor setup is Scarlett 2i2 (rear panel) =(1/4 in to XLR)=> KRK Rokit 5 monitors.

Adobe has released Audition 5.x but it is getting slammed by all especially long-time devotees. Audition 5 lacks some very basic features such as a click track/metronome :nuts :nuts :nuts Another example of a software company crippling its product and alienating its loyal user base under the rubric of an 'upgrade.'

13. tammuz7000

tammuz7000 Member

presonus support stinks when you need them..the gear is great but dont expect much support from them. If you get one buy it at sweetwater so they can help you. make sure also the drivers work with what your system is. I had many issues with drivers and a firestudio project with sonar..

The preamps do sound great on my presonus but i think i would give the focusrite a shot. I had to send my presonus back 3x for the same problem they never fixed until sweetwater stepped in..