Focusrite Scarlett users - How do you record internal audio?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Ben R, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Ben R

Ben R Member

Hello. In the past week, I have had to purchase a new PC for the first time in like a decade. (Yes... I know.) With that, I had to make a decision on whether to go with an internal souncard or an external Audio Interface for the new computer. I went with a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6. From a playback / output perspective, it seems to work well. But, I cannot figure out how to record something that's internal (that is, not coming into the unit from an outside source). For example, if I want to record the audio that I hear when playing a video on my PC (Youtube, DVD player, or otherwise). With my old PC, I had an internal Creative Labs Soundblaster card. In the mixer settings/options, I could choose things like "wav" or "what you hear" as an input source for all recordings. It allowed the DAW or any recording device in the PC to record a direct feed of whatever audio the computer was playing. It worked great, in perfect replicated quality. With these Focusrite Scarlett units, your inputs are chosen/routed through their "Scarlett MixControl" software. I cannot figure out a way to choose any internally played audio (from a video, mp3, or wav - for example) as the audio source to record. Is there a way to do this directly with these Scarlett units without some convoluted form of running wires outside the box and then back in again? It appears that I can only choose the physical Focusrite unit inputs as an audio source.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I have watched online tutorials and have read the manual. But, I cannot figure out a way to do this for the life of me. Thanks, in advance, for any feedback.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  2. Pencho

Pencho Member

I understand your question and am not aware of any way to do what your looking to do with the Scarlett. I assume your running Windows and can't think of any way in the OS to make this work. I use Sonar and can't think of a way to do it within the DAW either. All of the scenarios I can think of would require running back out and in through the 6i6 which is what your trying to avoid. If you find a way to make this work I would like to know to so please post back.

3. Endr_rpm

Endr_rpm Member

I usually use third party software for this, the really shady stuff :)

no idear how to do it with the Scarlett (2i4 user)

4. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

I have the Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 which offers this: and two virtual 'loopback' inputs for routing digital audio between software applications — ideal for capturing online audio. I've never used it.
    I also have the Scarlett 2i4 but not sure if it has the same options because it does not use Saffire Mix Control. Sounds like your version of the Scarlett does?

5. paltomare

paltomare Supporting Member

I am also interested in recording internal audio plus my guitar and mic.
    I've just bought a Scarlett Solo, I assumed the included Albleton Live Lite software could record internal audio on one channel, my guitar on another and the mic input on another, is this not possible? I thought it was my inexperience with recording as the reason I could not figure this out.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  6. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

I have a great "legal" program called "Snagit" (Pro) that lets me record audio or video off of my computer, choosing "internal" or "mic" as my sound source. It is also great at screen captures and even making videos of your mouse movements on a screen should you ever need to show someone how to do something like attach a file.

However, if you have a DAW and internal audio as a file - just import it to the DAW as a new audio channel and then play along with it through a new channel.

7. paltomare

paltomare Supporting Member

Perfect, I use Total Recorder to grab audio, which is probably similar to Snagit, however, importing an existing mp3 into Audacity and recording guitar over it with a Scarlett Solo worked great. Now to figure out how to do this with Ableton. Thanks, this helped me, hope it helps the OP.