Focusrite TwinTrak Pro Tips anyone?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by jjboogie, Mar 29, 2008.

1. jjboogie

jjboogie Member

I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with this preamp and if they can share some suggested settings for Vocals, guitars, bass & drums....I use mine for everything!

Thanks
    jj

2. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

I have one and love it. Before I bought it, I had the store set up some mics and track some guitars on it and a cheap M-Audio. The difference was shocking. No advice about settings. I throw a 57 in front of the amp and use the meters and my ears to tweak till it sounds best. All I change now are the gain staging, compressor threshold and headphone mix. There seemed to be a sweet spot on the input impedance for the 57 around 1k6.

I also run the SPDIF out of my Maudio interface so I can use the headphones to monitor the mix real time while tracking. It is a well thought out great all around tool. I am thinking of getting the SPDIF card for it so I can get better ADs.

Shawn.

3. jjboogie

jjboogie Member

Can you explain that SPDIF out thing a little more in detail? That sounds like a cool idea.

The only weird thing to me about it is that it really doesn't have a ratio setting.

4. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

I am just one guy in a room building tracks and I prefer to mic a guitar amp.

I run the SPDIF out of of my M-Audio into the twin track and plug my headphones in. All the sound coming out of Logic goes to the twintrak and into my headphones so I can monitor while playing, but there is no sound in the room going into the mic.

The headphones mix knob mixes between the two input channels and the SPDIF channel. I turn it one way and get only guitar so I can position the mic, then turn it the other way to get the perfect mix for tracking. I guess this is just a hardware solution for zero latency monitoring.

I only use the compressor for light limiting so the occasional transient doesn't clip. The three gain stages all have visual meters. I listen that the compressor/limiter isn't doing too much, then set the levels to around -6dB. Anything fancier with a compressor is either an effect pedal in front of the amp, or a mixing decision.

For around $250 I can get a plug in card that has ADs on it with SPDIF output so I can go to the M-Audio digitally and skip its converters. I don't know whether this will be worth it? In the past, going SPDIF into the M Audio has been flakey due to clocking issues, and computer hibernation.

Shawn.

5. jjboogie

jjboogie Member

Thanks Shawn......I might try the SPDIF thing out next week when I record some drum tracks.....I wonder why Focusrite didn't put a ratio knob on this thing though......