Folding bikes

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Jon Silberman, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I'm close to copping a Brompton. Looks to me to be the pick of the litter for folding bikes, particularly with the telescoping seat option for tall folks (I'm 6'5").

Wondering if anyone else owns a folding bike and about your thoughts on good options for them.

http://www.brompton.com/The-Bike

[​IMG]

2. Nutopian

Nutopian Member

Don't own one but I test rode a brompton six years ago and it just didn't feel good to me, but not sure why. Kinda klunky. Coulda been older cheaper or not tuned properly. If I was getting a folder I'd probably go for 20 inch wheeled version as opposed to 16.

Bike Friday seems popular and top of the line.

3. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

I am curious what you are wanting to do with it as opposed to using a regular bike on a trunk rack? When I was commuting to Manhattan I used to see a lot of folding bikes on the trains. They wouldn't allow anything else during commuter hours and they were perfect for that.

4. Jim Fisher

Jim Fisher Silver Supporting Member

Hey Jon,

We both had Dahon MarinerD7s when we were living on the boat full-time and used them everyday in the Keys. The good is that they were compact and lightweight. Bad is that they were a little hard to pedal with the 20" wheels. I'm 6'2" and was able to get the seat high enough for comfort. You really need to try one before you buy it to see if you'll feel stable on it.

Also saw a lot of Bromptons and folks seemed to really like those too.

Have fun, Jim

5. D. Stewart

D. Stewart Member

The design is definitely a compromise but they fill certain needs ... eg private pilots. (I remember when I was building an RV 9A, I was pondering getting one to throw behind the seats.)
    In theory the larger wheel should be better, but that's just a guess .... test-drive lots

6. Moxsam

Moxsam Member

I see them around here and I guess they would be ok for slow speeds. Wheels are too small for any amount of speed though. Give it a try and you will see.

7. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

It's similar in the DC metro system. Regular bikes are not allowed on the Metro trains until after 7 pm on weekdays. Folding bikes OTOH are always allowed.

8. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Some footage from the Brompton US Championship in DC - I like the whimsical vibe.

9. Jon Silberman

Excellent, pertinent question.

I will be retiring in a couple of years, my wife a few years after that. We want to stay active. We both enjoy the outdoors, sightseeing, and biking. We both already own full-size bikes but we want fold-ups, too. The Brompton, unlike almost if not all of the 20" bikes, folds up really, really compactly, enough to fit into a small suitcase suitable for taking the bike literally everywhere, including on planes, trains, automobiles, and ships, plus you can carry them folded up (in or not in its suitcase - it weighs about 25 lbs.) anywhere, including buses, taxis, metrorails, and into stores, where you could never ever take larger bikes or even larger fold-up types.

The pic below is of the Brompton. And yes, I test rode one on Sunday. It impressed the **** out of me. Is it the same as my full-size Trek? No. Is it perfectly serviceable for what I have in mind for it? Yes. It's amazing what they've done with the frame, handlebars, and gear ratios. Feels much bigger than it is.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    Cornbread likes this.
  10. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

reminds me of a clown bike, but if your not trying to pick up chicks.. who cares

Outlaw likes this.
  11. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

12. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

I have a bright orange Mobicky Genius folder, and my friends and coworkers call it my clown bike.

neastguy likes this.
  13. Jon Silberman

That's a clown comment, bro'.

14. Jon Silberman

GovernorSilver likes this.
  15. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

look at post #12.. not really

16. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

I've ridden, but not owned, a bunch of folding bikes. I appreciate the engineering, but I'm not a huge fan of them. For some situations (e.g., when you can't lock a bike outside, or you want to travel with a bike), they make a lot of sense, but I wouldn't choose one if not in one of those situations. They tend to be expensive, they have lots of moving proprietary parts to wear and break, and the frames feel strange to me under load.

17. Jon Silberman

Let me try again - HUMOR ALERT BASED ON BRYCE HARPER'S FAMOUS "THAT'S A CLOWN QUESTION, BRO'" COMMENT! That's a clown comment, bro'.

18. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

My wife has wanted one for the past couple of years and has vowed to buy one this year.

I'm therefore quite interested in this timely thread!

19. Jon Silberman

My preference isn't yours - I understand. :)

20. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

Just out of curiosity, why do you want one?

By the way, if you're set on going folding, Brompton is definitely the way to go.