Folks who have owned Boss RV-6 and TC HOF2

1973Marshall

Which did you keep and why?

Also, did you use them live? That would really help to know which was in the mix better.

Sure there are tons of comparison threads but they are inconclusive. I'd love to hear from folks that put both to the test on their boards and know which came away the winner.

Thanks!

Tung-Sol Tube

The HOF is one of the worst reverbs in its category. The RV-6 is superior for the modes that they share. The Toneprint software makes the HOF more versatile, but many of the base algorithms sound similar. The spring mode is particularly bad.

1973Marshall

The HOF is one of the worst reverbs in its category. The RV-6 is superior for the modes that they share. The Toneprint software makes the HOF more versatile, but many of the base algorithms sound similar. The spring mode is particularly bad.
Are the tone print tones better sounding than the stock sounds? Versatility aside.

Tung-Sol Tube

Are the tone print tones better sounding than the stock sounds? Versatility aside.
There are some artist presets I’ve heard that sound decent. Someone on this forum made a Neunaber Wet emulation that sounded good. The thing is that it requires so much tweaking if you’re not downloading someone else’s settings.

Even with the Toneprint settings, the algorithm quality doesn’t stand up to things like the RV-6, EHX Oceans 11, Digitech Polara (before its discontinuation), and other pedals in the price range.

What are the key reverb types you expect to use the most?

1973Marshall

There are some artist presets I’ve heard that sound decent. Someone on this forum made a Neunaber Wet emulation that sounded good. The thing is that it requires so much tweaking if you’re not downloading someone else’s settings.

Even with the Toneprint settings, the algorithm quality doesn’t stand up to things like the RV-6, EHX Oceans 11, Digitech Polara (before its discontinuation), and other pedals in the price range.

Plate mostly. On occasion I like longer reverbs and mess with Hall, Spring. I have an Eventide H9. The RV6 is for a small, grab and go board.

What are the key reverb types you expect to use the most?
Mostly plate to create some space in my sound. On occasion I use longer verbs like Hall etc. I have an Eventide H9. The RV6 is for a grab and go board.

deceased

The RV-6 is amazing. Every mode is great. I don’t even like shimmer reverb, but the shimmer on the RV-6 with the tone at 9 o’clock or below is pad heaven.

All the tone prints in the world couldn’t get me to buy a TC with those crappy switches.

Tung-Sol Tube

Mostly plate to create some space in my sound. On occasion I use longer verbs like Hall etc. I have an Eventide H9. The RV6 is for a grab and go board.
The RV-6 will do a good job for plate and hall, reasonably standing in for your H9 for “bread and butter” reverb.

Also, you might be able to find a used Neunaber Immerse MK1 around the same price as a new RV-6. That has excellent plate and hall sounds, plus predelay and modulation for those modes respectively.

Brantleycoker

I’ve never been a tc reverb fan. I sold them for years when I worked at Gc and could never really bond with any of them. I use an rv500 on my electric/bass board and an rv6 on my acoustic board. I’m a much bigger fan of boss verbs than most. I have an h9 on my big board also I use for big ethereal stuff and random mod effects. Don’t waste your time on the HOF

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
My friend has the hof v1 and I have the boss rv6. The hog has some usable verbs, but as was mentioned by others, the algos sound too similiar. The rv6 to me just sounds great. Hall, plate, and mod are what I use most.

I had sold my rv6 to a friend and kept the digitech rv7, but really missed the ambient sound on the rv6, so I ended up letting the digitech go and got another rv6, just love that it can do a touch a reverb or a ton of reverb. The digitech was never great for ambient, just no enough verb, hence why they had the supernatural.

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
The RV-6 is a great workingman’s pedal, what it does it does more than serviceably. It’s not otherworldly but it nails the effects it’s built to make. Five years in, no complaints.

Great Shot Pilot

Silver Supporting Member
TC stuff is unpopular around here, but pretty popular out in the real world. Boss, on the other hand, gets hyped here maybe a touch more than it should, almost performatively by some to show that they haven’t given into boutique snobbery.

With that said, I’ve owned both pedals and they are both quite good. The Boss spring is really strange and not really good, whereas there are some semi-decent TC toneprint springs. The RV-6 shimmer set to low tone is outstanding, and much better than anything the TC does shimmer-wise. The toneprints probably give the TC more versatility, but I’d give the Boss the edge in core tones and build quality. They are both great and probably more reverb than 98% of users need.

Big in Japan

Silver Supporting Member
I know that I’m in the minority, but I do not care for the RV-6. All of the algorithms sound artificial to me. I found the stock Hall of Fame 2 algorithms to be more natural sounding. The plate is particularly good. Admittedly, the spring is one of the worst spring reverb emulations I’ve ever heard. But the others are solid. I haven’t tried any TonePrints. I generally love Boss pedals, but the RV-6 was not for me.

monty

Big RV6 fan here. I like simple and it is really easy to dial in some great sounds with this, no CPU required. Worth it for the plate and delay+echo settings alone.

tonedover

This Is Fine.
Platinum Supporting Member
TC stuff is unpopular around here, but pretty popular out in the real world. Boss, on the other hand, gets hyped here maybe a touch more than it should, almost performatively by some to show that they haven’t given into boutique snobbery.
generalization and hyperbole.
this entire thread is full of people who have owned both, and indicated a preference for one or the other based on a stated reason.

tc is popular with especially with hobbyists because their price points are low and they frequently clone good circuits. there is a concern here, amongst players that actually play out, about reliability of the products, as there were years where a “higher than other brand” failure rate was noted, however its been some time since we saw that.

boss has been number one in effects for decades for a reason. they are sold worldwide and are reliable enough for major touring names, with pedals functioning under heavy use for decades. is every pedal a home run, no. some of their offerings have specific use cases. however the wide majority of their offerings are heavily praised here.

anyways. never owned a HOF. i currently own and use a RV6 and i really like it.

petty1818

I don’t really get the hate for the HOF. I agree that TC switches can suck. I had two ditto loopers stop working. However, I randomly bought the HOF2 and think it’s quite good. I definitely don’t notice a drop in quality when compared to my other reverb pedals.

tonedover

This Is Fine.
Platinum Supporting Member
I don’t really get the hate for the HOF. I agree that TC switches can suck. I had two ditto loopers stop working. However, I randomly bought the HOF2 and think it’s quite good. I definitely don’t notice a drop in quality when compared to my other reverb pedals.
I dont think anyone is complaining about the HOF quality. Just preference for the RV6.
I do not recall there being any quality issues with the HOF line. Just the ditto and a couple of their more budget dirt pedals.

Trending Topics