Food Trucks

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Cornbread, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Cornbread

Cornbread Silver Supporting Member

Posting a pic of my favorite lunch from my food truck in the DC area, Pho Wheels DC.

[​IMG]

Left is a Pork Belly taco next to a Spam Musubi taco served on Vietnamese flat bread.

Anyone else a fan of food trucks?

2. sleewell

sleewell Member

that looks really good

3. joe_jr

joe_jr Supporting Member

A food truck caravan came to my neighborhood. One of them had a trailer on back. When they lifted up the sides of the trailer, there was a full-sized brick pizza oven underneath, all ready to go. Their pizza was good, mine didn't last long enough to take a picture of.

4. Doug's Tubes

Doug's Tubes Member

I am now! Looks delicious.

5. bayAreaDude

bayAreaDude Member

I'm a fan of food I enjoy, regardless of where it's prepared. All I get out of the truck aspect is it's another hassle for me to find the food I enjoy as it's moving around. But, I still appreciate that it exists regardless of that hassle. I'd encourage anyone running a food truck to take more control over their business and find a more stable environment to offer their food to increase it's availability to the people that enjoy it. If that's not possible for them for whatever their reason, I feel it's still a better alternative to not being in business at all. Is it possible to make more money selling your food at a variable location than a fixed location? That's a business owner's decision only they can make with some knowledge of their market.

6. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

There's a Vietnamese "inspired" food truck in Catskill across the river that is excellent and there is a food cart outside of the brewery in town that has the best $5 bratwurst I've ever had. I know the guy who makes the sausage and it's first rate. Great now I'm hungry -

7. jordane93

jordane93 Member

8. Cornbread

I hear ya bayAreaDude. Around here, the trucks are in a lottery for some of the better spots so they don't always have a choice of where they can go for lunch.

PhoWheels does lunch and dinner a few nights a week and the dinners are usually at the same spot.

I also tried this crazy thing from Astro Doughnuts

[​IMG]

Fried Chicken in between a doughnut with Sriracha mayo, tomato and lettuce

It's nice to get some variety for lunch and I'll try just about anything...

9. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

There's a whole fleet of different ones that park outside this "industry* area" in Santa Monica every day. All the ones I've eaten from are delicious, but I'm not a fan of $12-20 lunches...that stuff starts adding up really quick. I know they're using the best ingredients and their overhead is high, but I can't pay that everyday for lunch, even when I make the TGP approved $2500 a week...

* I think you guys can guess the industry

10. 44 and feeling it

44 and feeling it Member

Is that Velveeta cheese on the pork belly? I have tried Spam musubi but not as a taco in flatbread. Not my cup of tea but I give them credit for being adventurous.
    It's hit and miss with catering trucks in my area. I can get some really cheap and good Mexican food but nothing all crazy like that.

11. Elmer

Elmer hell is chrome

That pork belly taco looks fantastic! Food trucks around here tend to be pretty good in general, but there is a Cuban one that has these most amazing yucca fries with a garlic sauce to dip 'em in. Tasty! There is a truck that has excellent sliders too and uhh... damn, now I'm hungry.

12. 44 and feeling it

44 and feeling it Member

We had a Cuban truck a few years ago named Babalu. Very good but she's long gone. Just not a big market for it in my area.

13. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

14. nailbender

nailbender Member

That stuff looks great.Live in a small town in IL now so no use for food trucks.My last memory of them is when I was doing ironwork in FL in the 80's.They had the ones with the usual frozen sandwiches in the nuke deal.There was one that used to come around Ft. Myers beach that was a husband and wife deal.They had these big hot dogs or ham Sammy's .All they had.We always wondered why the hot dogs tasted so strange.We would load them up with all the condiments we could so we didn't taste the hot dog.
    Saw them throw some empty boxes in the dumpster one day and checked them out.
    They were chicken hot dogs.Nasty chit.

15. dkals

dkals Member

Watch the movie Chef on Netflix for your food truck fix. I like the show food truck wars.

16. Cornbread

I'd love to find a Cuban Food Truck around here! :drool

The yella sauce is Sriracha Lime Mayo...underneath everything is Cilantro, pickled radishes and carrots. That combo (including the bread) is a case of the whole being more (much more) than the parts.

The taste of the flat bread elevates the Spam Musubi as does the sauce, which I can't remember what it is...next time :D

I've had some duds from the trucks here too...but it's worth it when I find trucks like these.

17. Cornbread

So true. If I get the whole Lobster Truck deal it's $25 (lobster roll, clam chowder, Arnold Palmer)...I can't do that very often. Those Vietnamese tacos and the doughnut chicken meal are $10. I only do it once a week...usually ;)

Also, *$2,500 a week :aok

I love that movie. A guilty pleasure as much as the trucks.

18. Matt Jones

Matt Jones Supporting Member

I spent some time in Japan in November and food trucks are also pretty popular there. I had some kind of noodle thing from the red one and it was delicious.

[​IMG]

19. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Yeah, I saw a lobster roll truck with a line going down the sidewalk, so I sauntered up to check the prices. :omg ;)

20. grill

grill Member

my wife asked me about them as a biz if we move back to the states.

i said yeah, i'd love it.

i don't know what the start up costs would be, tho.

i plan on watching Chef someday. it looks good.

i think it's a brilliant idea.

weekends off! nights off! lol!

can ya sell beer and wine?