For a Tele into a Ac15 c1, Timmy or SHOD?

Paulo Grua

What would be the best match? I have a Timmy, that has been my main drive for a while - I really like it. I may have a chance to trade it for a friend's Sweet Honey Overdrive (PCB); but I won't be able to try it out first.
I really like the samples I've heard so far; I'm specially inclined to the SHOD because of it's dynamic response.
My only concern is that, some people report that it cuts too much low-end, and others, that it is too bright with certain amps/guitars. In that regard, the Timmy is perfect, with it's awesome EQ section.

Anyone had both while using an Ac15 (C1)?

voxylady

I love my timmy with my AC15. It has all but ended my OD search. I haven't tried the SHOD so I can't help you out there, but I have tried a ton of other OD's and I definitely liked my timmy the best. I like it so much that I traded my timmy for a tim and I'm actually finding the boost to be extremely versatile and useful.

Geosh

Clip the bright cap on the amp and swap in a LM1458 chip into the Timmy and call it a day.

0xeneye

Silver Supporting Member
Clip the bright cap on the amp and swap in a LM1458 chip into the Timmy and call it a day.
I tried this and found it to be good, but not great. They say a Hotcake into Vox is great, haven't tried.

Paulo Grua

I have to be honest: the Timmy has been a winner for me. At stage volume, it does wonders to my tone. I set the Ac15, in the normal channel, Master between noon and wide-open, Normal volume at 10 to 13 hours. Didn't feel the need to do the bright cap mod at all. The only thing that makes me think of changing the Timmy for the SHOD is that the later might be little less "hi-fi", giving me an intermediate tone between my Vox natural "voxyness" and a small Fender style amp - I love Campilongo and Lanois tones, but am not ready to let go of my Vox (neither can buy a second amp for now).

Geosh

I tried this and found it to be good, but not great. They say a Hotcake into Vox is great, haven't tried.
I personally like the Hotcake with a Vox a LOT. More than the Timmy in fact. The OP said he tried the Hotcake and didn't gel with it though. The Timmy worked well for me too though with a few tweaks.

What would be the best match? I have a Timmy, that has been my main drive for a while - I really like it... In that regard, the Timmy is perfect, with it's awesome EQ section.
If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Anyway, I run a tele through a Timmy to a AC15CC1, so a very similat setup, and I too have been tempted by the SHOD (and the Hotcake too, for that matter). But at the end of the day, why risk it?

Nice Nels Cline quote in the sig, by the way:)

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
Former C1 owner and current Timmy/Tele user... the Timmy is the pedal for this set up. Its EQ is why... the ability to cut high end using the Timmy with the C1 means you don't NEED to clip the bright cap.

marvelboy_04

timmy works great for that combo. Maybe just try a tim, or keep the tim and get something to compliment it with. I would actually prefer a visual sound open road or barber LTD.

Paulo Grua

Former C1 owner and current Timmy/Tele user... the Timmy is the pedal for this set up. Its EQ is why... the ability to cut high end using the Timmy with the C1 means you don't NEED to clip the bright cap.
Yeah, I really didn't need to clip the bright cap on mine.

Thanks everyone for taming my GAS :beer

As said above, if ain't broke...

Paulo Grua

timmy works great for that combo. Maybe just try a tim, or keep the tim and get something to compliment it with. I would actually prefer a visual sound open road or barber LTD.
I use the Timmy almost always on, and an Amp50 to boost it for solos and heavier parts...

Trending Topics