• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

For all the bedroom players

Studio Owner

At 13 I was a slave for my dad, lol. No instruments whatsoever for me except a chainsaw, a gun, handloading tools and shop tools for working on cars, trucks, farm machines and whatever else came at us.

Oh yeah, maybe one of the most important instruments a heavy stick welder and oxy/acetylene torches.

Looking back I wish i was aloud to have an electric guitar and tube amp.

At 13 I had already studied classical music for 6 years and was one year away from rebelling and trading it in for an electric.

My speaker cabs sound wonderful at bedroom volume, especially the 4x12s. I dunno if its because its 4 of them or just the speakers, but they sound more spacious than 2x and 1x cabs even at low volume.

Rick CD

Silver Supporting Member
Absolutely! There's no other way to get what a 100 watt full stack gives you.

I sat with my feet touching the stage when Hendrix came to Philadelphia on his first national tour. The minute he hit the first note the entire audience went "Woah!!" from the thump in the chest. I was sold on full stacks from that moment on.

Yep, that's my dream.

897423f86f6c551695576e9e8e2b1d41.jpg

"Oh yes. It will be mine!!"
Yikes. Only thing I see here that river cresting in a fat rain and flooding that little low lying cabin, destroying all the guitars and 100w stacks sitting in the livings space

Maybe some good fishing tho

BadHat

Silver Supporting Member
I just fired this rig up with the PS2 for the first time since I got that cab. I had been wondering how Leslie West got that distorted tone on Imaginary Western without a fuzz pedal, but it was right there, right away.
Sorry, only 50 watts, though.

51624240193_64daeb3af9_b.jpg

macmax77

Silver Supporting Member
I can do it in the Caribbean but then my kitchen there is bigger than my 3 bedroom apt in NC.

RicOkc

And a sound-proof room so that your neighbors aren't on your lawn with torches & pitchforks!

HeavyCream

Silver Supporting Member
Every time I see one of these posts, I think, yeah… :dude
Truth is, it depends on the amp, the room, the volume and the player’s style/taste. Let’s assume you’re chasing the type of 100w stack tones from yesteryear… well, nothing else is going to come close. If you’re playing in a room in your house, :wave, you’ll be better off with a device that can attenuate volume without destroying your tone. Unless that is, you dig the MV/preamp type stuff. If so, you just need the right amp with the right MV. If you’re playing at very low volume, around 60-75db, real speakers lose to IR’s imo. I’m not even an IR guy (yet) but anyone with half an ear knows speakers need a little volume.

Playing devil’s advocate here. 100 watt tube amp heads and full stacks existed when they did for a reason. Now, does anybody really need 100 tube watts and a full stack, especially at home? Maybe if you live way out in the country or woods, have no neighbors for miles, and you have the need to feel your pant legs flapping? Yeah, okay. Sure. But the PA systems have improved quite a bit.

Pretty sure most guys don’t have PA’s in their bedroom :omg Lol

Jk man. I understand the point you’re making. The thing is, that school of thought is obsolete as well. Just as PA’s came a long way, methods of taming high power amps have brought us into a new era. You no longer buy a 100w amp because you need one, you get one because you want one. Players have been trying to cop the tone of a 100w stack at reasonable volumes for decades, and have gone through all sorts of methods. At this point, the best way to go about it, imho, is to get your 100w amp of choice, a 412 or two, and a really good attenuation device. There are certainly more economic choices. Nothing will sound exactly the same without stadium levels of volume, but the real thing accompanied by any one of the top attenuators on the market today smokes every other option.

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
Yikes. Only thing I see here that river cresting in a fat rain and flooding that little low lying cabin, destroying all the guitars and 100w stacks sitting in the livings space

Maybe some good fishing tho

I actually thought about that. In my fantasy the house would be a little further back, maybe on a sloping hill elevated from the river like my house was on Lake Shaftsbury in Vermont. I also envisioned it up on stilts for fear of the flooding you envisioned.

Yes, the house as pictured would have to be modded, just like most guitars. ;)

Black_In_Mind

I'd rather not....

I already have a full stack with my choice of running a 120w or 160w tube guitar head. Thats also not counting my bass rig which towers over me with 225w of tube power.

Anymore amps and cabs and I'll have to move out of my own room...

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
At this point, the best way to go about it, imho, is to get your 100w amp of choice, a 412 or two, and a really good attenuation device. There are certainly more economic choices. Nothing will sound exactly the same without stadium levels of volume, but the real thing accompanied by any one of the top attenuators on the market today smokes every other option.

Yep, I just picked up one of these to replace my first generation PS-1 Power Station.

PS100_Front__51915.1628106608.1280.1280.jpg

Can't wait to try it out with my Sig:X stack.

coffeecupman

I've got the gear, it's the real estate that has eluded me thus far.

Personally I can't enjoy rocking if I think I'm putting someone out on the other side of the wall.

A few good years though and I'll be able to fix this. And yes, definitely doing a Fryette.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom