For all the guys who think about stripping a poly finish . . .

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Mike9, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

I was perusing ReRanch gallery today I came across this Surf Green project and found this caption amusing:

[FONT=MS Sans Serif, Helvetica, Arial] A Surf Green Strat [/FONT][FONT=MS Sans Serif, Helvetica, Arial] Finished by Mark Norwine (of Carlson Amps fame) this Strat began life as a Made in Mexico Fender. Mark sent the body to a professional stripper to have the poly finish removed. After soaking for a few days in the strippers vat the body was removed and to everyone's surprise the finish was unscathed! At this point Mark decided to finish over the original poly. It was sanded to a matte finish and primed with B.I.N.s white pigmented shellac. The color coats were applied followed by clear nitrocellulose.

[​IMG]

[/FONT]http://reranch.com/gallery/surfstrat.htm

2. studiodunn

studiodunn Member

I tried to refinish a baja tele with the same results.......none.

That is some serious dip they use. It is bonded to the body so well that when i tried dinging the edge it chipped off a huge section of the wood.

3. tone slave

tone slave Member

Actually, the MIM Fenders have a polyester, not polyurethane, finish. PRS also uses polyester finishes, and there is a VERY easy way to remove these finishes-- a heat gun and a plastic scraper. I did this with my PRS and the finish peeled off like butter. I couldn't believe how easy it was. I haven't tried this on a MIM Fender yet, but it should be just as easy.

4. nsriley

nsriley Member

Someone told me the same thing. I have an older MIM Strat. I tested a spot on the back with some STRONG stripping agent. It didn't even make a dent!!!:crazy I might try the heat gun when I get around to it.

5. Nick Greer

Nick Greer Member

+1--I've done this in the past, heat gun and scraper (plastic or metal) works the best to get the finish off of these beasties...the only thing you have to worry about is if you keep the heat gun in the same area for too long, it will burn the wood--then you're down to actually taking some of the wood off to get rid of the burn marks instead of just taking the finish off...

Nick G

6. HRydarcik

HRydarcik Member

Here's my 80's Squier strat that was originally black that I refinished in Sonic Blue...I finished over the black using Zinzinger's white pigmented shellac as a base and then using Reranch products. Once the body was finished I added a MIJ reissure 57 neck, a Fender vintage 57/62 bridge and Duncan pups. Oh yeah...I aged the pickup covers and knobs by soaking them in black coffee for a couple of days.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. waggclan

waggclan Par 4 Holer Gold Supporting Member

...the only thing you have to worry about is if you keep the heat gun in the same area for too long, it will burn the wood--then you're down to actually taking some of the wood off to get rid of the burn marks instead of just taking the finish off...

Yep... Done that...

8. Nick Greer

Nick Greer Member

ouch! it's no fun, is it wagg?

Ng

9. devnulljp

devnulljp Member

Wait.
    You took a heat gun...
    ...to a guitar...
    ...a PRS guitar...

I don't think I feel well.

10. waggclan

Yes sir!!!

11. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Polyester is a BITCH!!! I took a Black & Decker hand sander to my Peavey Predator. 5 hours later is was pretty clean. Enough to stain and then tung oil the body, it came out pretty sick. Mind you, I'd never do this with a super duper guitar but it worked
    :RoCkIn

12. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

Nice! I'd steal it from ya but my hands are righties.

Decaffe or regular?

13. waggclan

Actually it was a bitch... I'm not too talented when it comes to things like that... I should leave that type of thing to the professionals!!!

:BEER

14. gitarzilla

gitarzilla Member

In the garage, fixing stuff my kids broke
    I dont' get the point. Why finish nitro over poly? I thought the whole point of the nitro finish is that it's lighter and thinner and lets the wood breathe and vibrate better.

15. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

Um.....I think the point was that he couldn't get the poly off.

16. tone slave

tone slave Member

Yeah, I was REAL nervous for the first minute or so, until I realized how easily the finish came off. Then it was no big deal. The cool thing is, it took the finish off and left the stain-- now it looks like a Modern Eagle.

Also, the guitar was over 10 years old and had the sh!t beat out of it, so I figured I wasn't going to make it look any worse.

17. gitarzilla

gitarzilla Member

In the garage, fixing stuff my kids broke
    Then why not just leave it as is? Why shoot nitro over the poly? Nothing to be gained sonically, probably just the opposite.

18. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

My guess is he wanted a Surf Green guitar and it originally was a different color. Thats how I read it anyways.

19. spikeRI

spikeRI Supporting Member

I did a MIM tele years ago by sanding it off..............yea some tuff stuff. It was white to begin with and I stopped sanding once the grain started showing, but didn't take it to bare wood. Then did the BIN, reranch paint and reranch nito.......come out great, but sure was a lot of work. I felt it still was a very thin finish and improved the "ring" of the guitar. Certainly looked, felt and sounded better to my ears and it was the color I wanted........

20. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

Citrustrip works really well. I used it on some poly and it ripped it right off.