For all those looking for that D-style amp the answer is here!!! (Quinn Content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by drneely, Sep 14, 2008.

1. drneely

drneely Member

Well let me start off by simply saying wow. My Quinn SDO arrived saturday and all i can say is that the little wait i had would have been worth a wait 10x longer! I spent a great deal of time searching for a D-style amp and finally found THE one. Hopping to get some clips up in the near future. The touch sensitivity on this thing is absolutely amazing. And something i was really looking for that is a bit rare (at least to the degree im speaking of) is the ability to hear every note, every string of a chord, while still keeping the level of gain i want. Many amps achieve this when you turn the gain down to low levels but im running the gain around 7 and a half and every note rings out with harmonic beauty. If the sounds of Mr. Robben Ford or Larry Carlton are what you are after then honestly look no further. Just listen to the clips on the website its hard to find an amp as musical and as sonically pleasing as this baby. Shad does a great job of keeping in touch and getting you exactly what you want. I have to strongly recommend getting one of these things, especially while the wait and the prices are where they are. Ive honestly never been so blown away by an amp and i cant wait to continue with my rig with a quinn external loop and maybe in the future another amp now that im hooked, maybe an el34 bluesmaster SDO just to have that flavor too. But seriously do yourself a favor and get one of these puppies while you can. Thanks so much Shad absolutely incredible work.

http://www.quinnamp.com/sdo.htm

PS if any of you have any questions or want to know anything more specific just PM me.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  2. johnzias

johnzias Member

Nothing like a tool that results in eliciting a passionate response from its users! Can't wait till I get mine.

3. drneely

drneely Member

well if you have ordered already then i hate to make the wait even harder but u are in for a real treat.

4. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

Shad is the man!

Mike

5. drneely

drneely Member

Yeah shad is great, kept me updated almost every single day, and that was without me even emailing him. and every question i sent it was less than a day turnaround. And especially for people who know much more on the technical side of amps than i shad loves to talk shop and specifics.

6. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Well I've not been craving a Dumble-type amp myself, but I gotta hand it to him for making some nice clips available. Sounds like a great amp.

7. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

I knew you'd love it!!! Just wait till you get the ext loop hooked up with a little 'verb and/or delay. Gets even better! And, I had exactly the same experience with Shad. He is totally customer focused and just a really great guy. At his price point, build quality and delivery times, the SDO has to be the best D-style value out there. I'm glad I got mine before the line gets too long!

8. drneely

drneely Member

yeah without a doubt the best value, but i think it also is just flat out better than amps that are 1000 more, and i cant wait to get the whole rig complete with the ext loop and some good verb/delay

9. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

Well, I was trying to be "balanced", but yeah, Martin's clips w/o the ext loop and with a brand new, unbroken in EVM-12L (i.e. a harsh speaker) sounded better to me than all the other D-style clips I've heard and it sounds even better in person with the loop and broken in G12-65s....and with my fave tubes and HRM settings. It's obviously a very subjective thing. But, it's what *I* like to hear....and what got me to fork over some dough. Glad I did!

10. drneely

drneely Member

im definitely jealous as of now of your completed sdo rig, once i get the loop and the right cab i think i will be even more blown away which is hard to imagine, i hope my ears and head can handle it

11. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

He needs a better faceplate.

12. quinnamps

quinnamps Member

Joe if you get one I will gladly make you any style of faceplate you wish. Same goes for anyone else. The site may say there is added charge for that but I have the final say. ;O)
    What would you change?

13. mitch236

mitch236 Member

I have a question since the builder is here. What are the differences between the tone of the many options you offer? I'm not a d-style expert so humor me please.

Thanks

14. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

How long does it take for one to be built and ready to go???

15. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

The overlapping numbers look pretty bad. Other than that it's fine.

16. pinner

pinner Silver Supporting Member

Congrats on the new amp! There is nothing like having a rig that inspires you. I hope she keeps pleasing for many years. :AOK Just curious on the other D-types that you played through as a comparison and what you thought was the differences. Thanks.

17. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

Blame that on Dumble. That's how he did it. Bludo does the same thing. It's a Dumble stylistic trait.

18. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

I've never noticed it looking so odd on any Dumble or D-style amp. I think perhaps the problem is that the font for the numbers is just too big (and bigger than Dumble's).

Regardless of whether or not Dumble did it, it just looks amateurish on the Quinn. Just my opinion of course.

19. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

I just compared the Bludo, Quinn and Dumble and I think you're unnecessarily making something out of nothing. The Quinn font is a touch larger, but that's it. Other than that, they all look the same. That said, Shad can make any kind of font you want. If you want smaller font, just ask for it. Check out the examples on his website. No other D-style builder advertises that service.

20. scottl

scottl Member

Henry at Red Plate Amps has been doing customized faceplates for years. The following is Stelligan's amp. Sweet tones...

[​IMG]