• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

For all you price matchers out there!

mahler

I know extramusical.com sells a CAE 404 for 15 dollars less than competition..... I bet you could get GC or some where else to beat the price!

I got mine for 155 through extra musical(already ordered and forgot to pricematch)

I bet GC or who ever does price beating would give you 145 or something!

Hope this helps someone!

brain21

Most stores, unless they are a mom & pop store, won't match online prices.

Outside of the realm of music some stores won't even match their OWN online prices (and I've actually had this problem at GuitarCenter where they thought they couldn't match the Musiciansfriend prices, but they are the same company and they are supposed to)!

A while back I needed to buy a surveyors tripod from Home Depot. The in-store price was something like $70 whereas the online price from homedepot.com was $50. Home Depot refused to match their online price. I told them that Lowes would match it. They still couldn't match it, so I went to Lowes and got it for the Home Depot online price!

mahler

Outside of the realm of music some stores won't even match their OWN online prices (and I've actually had this problem at GuitarCenter where they thought they couldn't match the Musiciansfriend prices, but they are the same company and they are supposed to)!

A while back I needed to buy a surveyors tripod from Home Depot. The in-store price was something like $70 whereas the online price from homedepot.com was $50. Home Depot refused to match their online price. I told them that Lowes would match it. They still couldn't match it, so I went to Lowes and got it for the Home Depot online price!
That's ridiculous.

How did someone on this forum get the nova for 199 on GC through a price match then?

jazzandmetal?

Silver Supporting Member

I match GC.com prices and Musiciansfriend prices all day long. Seriously...it boggles my mind that the same company has so many different prices on things.

B&H is another one that has amazing deals on audio gear. For all you price hunters.

I carry my iphone and have the redlaser app. I scan stuff all the time for customers.

richpjr

I match GC.com prices and Musiciansfriend prices all day long. Seriously...it boggles my mind that the same company has so many different prices on things.

B&H is another one that has amazing deals on audio gear. For all you price hunters.

I carry my iphone and have the redlaser app. I scan stuff all the time for customers.
I have bought a lot of stuff at B&H. They have some incredible sales at times (particularly Black Friday).

mahler

music123.com will match prices and so will samash.com.

don't forget that Tunnelvision.com offers TGP members 10% off normal prices (which is where I got my CAE mc-404).
Thats exactly what I got at extramusical about...but I'll have to check that out, thanks so much!

That could save a lot of money in the long run!

brain21

Hey, I'm just relaying my experiences.

There is 1 SamAsh in my area and **4** Guitar Centers!

I have had mixed luck price matching at SamAsh. They will match GC and MF prices, but on other items they always have to go to the manager, and the manager wants to work out some wonky deal on something. I did get a decent deal on some Event monitors from them though through a pricematch, but it was weird. The price they gave me was 10% below the online match price, but then I had to buy the 3 year warranty. Then I had to pay tax. So all in all it was about the same price as I would have paid online+Shipping, and I get the free warranty out of it. Not too bad! Other times, with cables, they have refused to price match. They generally have some weird excuse.

With the local guitar centers (I've only been to 3 out of the 4 local ones), it all depends. It used to be that getting them to do price matches, and talking them down on prices was common. However, ever since Bain Capital purchased them 2 years ago (or maybe it was less), things have changed. I can't get them to price-match anything but their own MF prices. Then again, when I check w/ sweetwater, music123, B&H, etc. the advertised prices for what I am looking for are almost always the same. But in those few cases, get GC to price-match say B&H is like pulling teeth. Maybe I am getting n00b sales guys or something, but that has been my real-life experience over many many in person visits to the store (as opposed to hearing second-hand a deal that someone else got).

Now many years ago I got a killer deal on a price-match at GC. A friend of mine worked at GC, saw the deal, and called me on the phone and said "come in here and get this before they figure it out and put an end to it" - basicaly Mars music had a misprint in a local ad for a Parker NiteFly SA (this was back in 1998). In the sat. ad they printed the sale price for $499 (I believe that the street price on that guitar at that time was $899 or $999). So I went to Mars and all they had were the black and white ones. I wanted anything but those 2 colors. I asked them to check the computer to see if one of the other **2** MARS stores had one in sunburst, or trans. red or blue. The sales guy was a real ass and said "but that would mean I would have to look it up" and walked away (no wonder they went out of business. I have several more MARS stories like that). So I went to GC, they price-matched, and were able to find a SB model at another store and had it shipped over. Now 50% off - THATS a price-match! That was, of course, 12 years ago

All of us try to do some price matching but honestly you can only go so lowthen you are going backwards. The corporate stores like GC or Musiciansfriend will undercut all the some guys and loose money just to put us out of business. For example I had a guy from our website send us a link for a lower price on the CAE MC-404 then the map price we had listed. Now we do 10% off for gearpage members and free shipping in the USA which IS a good deal, but the price this other vendor was selling at was barely over cost of the item With our 10% discount and free shipping that is a 25.20 value, then of course the credit card fees of on average 3% and shipping fee to get the product to us - so in the end we would make close 14.00 on this item. No way I could touch them. No one is in the business of just trading money for money, we all have rent to pay for our shops, employee costs and like me two daughters in high school. So come on guys keep families in business, ask for a reasonable discount and you'll probably get one, all of us try to work with all of you.

mahler

All of us try to do some price matching but honestly you can only go so lowthen you are going backwards. The corporate stores like GC or Musiciansfriend will undercut all the some guys and loose money just to put us out of business. For example I had a guy from our website send us a link for a lower price on the CAE MC-404 then the map price we had listed. Now we do 10% off for gearpage members and free shipping in the USA which IS a good deal, but the price this other vendor was selling at was barely over cost of the item With our 10% discount and free shipping that is a 25.20 value, then of course the credit card fees of on average 3% and shipping fee to get the product to us - so in the end we would make close 14.00 on this item. No way I could touch them. No one is in the business of just trading money for money, we all have rent to pay for our shops, employee costs and like me two daughters in high school. So come on guys keep families in business, ask for a reasonable discount and you'll probably get one, all of us try to work with all of you.
Thanks from your perspective as a musical business owner, I know its often hard to compete with stores like that , and you do offer excellent prices on a lot of items!

JeffOlson

I never want to pay bottom dollar for anything. It is just not right.

People need to make a living and have money left over to spend on other things (like legal services). If we all paid bottom dollar, the economy would grind to a halt and we would all suffer.

There is a multiplier effect to a dollar spent (and it cuts the other way if we save instead of spend). I could have saved about $500 per month this last year on housekeeping, but that would have hurt my housekeeper. then she would have spent less, and the economy would have been even worse.

Moral of the story: spend your money. It will come around again.

Wolf Child

Thats exactly what I got at extramusical about...but I'll have to check that out, thanks so much!

That could save a lot of money in the long run!
I have to take back my opinion as these guys take weeks to ship items, lie about expected shipping time and tell you they are out of stock but have the items available for immediate purchase on their ebay store at higher prices.

Wolf Child

I'd rather pay the extra 10% from a reputable dealer that provides customer service beyond an answering machine and receive the item on time without being lied to. :mob

oinkbanana

I like being a repeat customer and giving some business my loyalty. i'll never be shy to ask for their best price, and I hope they do it with plans to stay in business.

brain21

All of us try to do some price matching but honestly you can only go so low then you are going backwards.

No one is in the business of just trading money for money, we all have rent to pay for our shops, employee costs and like me two daughters in high school. So come on guys keep families in business, ask for a reasonable discount and you'll probably get one, all of us try to work with all of you.
For me, it's not about Mom & pop vs GC or anything like that. Given a choice between a mom and pop vs GC, I'll pick the mom & pop all the time (unless the price difference is fairly significant). It's selection. You can guarantee price match and take 50% off of that, but you don't have what I'm looking for, it doesn't matter. Hell I've been so dissapointed in the selection at GC and SA lately, that I don't even bother checking with them anymore either. I can usually find what I need online though. I can check 20 stores in 10 minutes rather than 3 days of driving, and it won't cost $50 in gas only to find nothing.

Next time I want an Ibanez or Schecter or Epiphone though, I'm set. I have tons of choices. That seems to be what all of the local mom & pops carry. But I'm not in the market for any of them now.

brain21

I never want to pay bottom dollar for anything. It is just not right.

People need to make a living and have money left over to spend on other things (like legal services). If we all paid bottom dollar, the economy would grind to a halt and we would all suffer.

There is a multiplier effect to a dollar spent (and it cuts the other way if we save instead of spend). I could have saved about $500 per month this last year on housekeeping, but that would have hurt my housekeeper. then she would have spent less, and the economy would have been even worse.
I understand your sentiments, but the economics of it is wrong. Think about it this way. You save $500 on housekeeping and it hurts your housekeeper, and she would have spent less. That won't hurt the economy. Why? Because you'll spend that $500 somewhere else (say a restaurant throughout the year). Then the chef there will have that $500 and HE will spend it. The same amount of money gets into the economy, generally speaking.

If you save it in a bank, thats an additional $5000 that the bank can loan out (thanks to a fractional reserve system) to someone so they can put a downpayment on a car. That puts money in the pocket of the car dealership, which helps pay his workers, and some of that money may go to a car manufacturer whole can help pay their workers with it, etc.

Saving the $500 only hurts the economy if you save it under your mattress. :)

First of all there is NOTHING wrong with trying to get bottom dollar on anything. Its the nature of Capitalism and competition. The reason to buy from a mom & pop, even if they are a little bit more are because (if they are any good) they can offer you what GC can't. They can offer personal service. Maybe they throw in a free setup or lessons on a guitar. Maybe they get to know you and when a new pedal comes in that they know you are looking for they give you a call and let you know right away. For me, its all about a more pleasurable shopping experience at a Mom & Pop than at GC. Friendlier staff, they actually have time to talk to you, they tend to know more about what they have and can offer you advice that you may actually be able to use, etc. THOSE are the reasons to go to a mom & pop. GC is a reseller. Mom & Pops are "value-added resellers" (VARs) - or at least they should be.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom