For anyone who had doubts about VH live backing vocals (video)...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Ben R, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Ben R

Ben R Member

From Van Halen's first live show the other night ("Women in Love"). The backing vocals sound really good. For as good as Michael Anthony's backing vocals are, I'm not missing them...

Oh, what the heck. Here's some more...

(Go to 7:07 for "Romeo Delight" on this next one)

2. MSS

MSS Member

Does sound pretty good...........looks like a great show even though I wish DLR would do away with the headset........looks awkward!!

3. Ben R

Ben R Member

Yeah. I wish that Dave would do one of 2 things...

1) Hold a microphone.

2) Justify the freeing up of your hands by doing something cool with them. More of the bow staff or sword twirling (like you see at the beginning of the show in that second clip up above), or maybe just be more animated with hand and arm gestures to emphasize the song at differnet points...?

It's a minor gripe, though. As long as he sounds good and the show is fun, I'm personally OK with it as a paying customer.

4. dlguitar64

dlguitar64 Member

When i saw them on the last tour the backing vocals sounded a little TOO perfect if you know what i mean.

5. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Senior Member

I disagree. The backing vocals on Runnin With the Devil are hideous.

Who knows what Dave is doing on Romeo's Delight. It sounds like a very, very bad attempt at a Karaoke bar.

Eddie looks like he's having a ball, and sounds great.

6. Stike

Stike Member

I gotta say as skeptical as I was this is all sounding really damn good. Nice to see Ed not looking like he's in the opening scene of The Jerk.

I even bought the new album and like it but I'll still contend MA was royally ****ed over by the brothers and he decerved to be fired as much as Elvis deserved his blackbelt.

7. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

And kool and the gang was much better than expected.

8. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    Wow, cool that they are playing some deep cuts like that! I wonder if Eddie or Wolfy is doing the high parts? :huh Sounded good!

9. Ben R

Ben R Member

[​IMG]

Have you watched the live concert footage of this band over the last 5 years? The vocal performances vary. As they back away from the microphone, the volume level changes. It is absolutely not pre-recorded. Also, check this out. You can't fake this here...

10. motorchang

motorchang Member

I've always thought that MA took his back up vocal duty too seriously, as if it's really vital to the shows, his career or whatever. Not a bashing just my observation. Wolfie and Eddie are doing great.

11. V-Type

V-Type Member

My local rock morning show spent a couple hours playing and talking about the KY show and for the skeptics they seemed too be last week they sure gushed over how 70's and 80's VH sounded.
    Its like a time machine and unreal the tones and play Ed is delivering.

12. andybaylor

andybaylor Supporting Member

I was just thinking this.

13. Ben R

Ben R Member

How so...? Van Halen wasn't doing anything for a few years there. Sammy Hagar and Eddie weren't seeing eye to eye. Michael Anthony remained close friends with Sammy. Sammy wanted to start what eventually became Chickenfoot and Mike joined him. Meanwhile, Eddie just happened to have a son who's great on bass and can sing good backing vocals in Michael Anthony's range. You can't fault the guy for wanting his own son in his band. Any of us would. It was a combination of circumstances. Nobody "screwed" Michael Anthony. It's not as if he was in the band and they said, "Get out" just as Dave was coming back. It's also not as if he was out of work and they refused to throw him a bone. This argument bugs me.

14. V-Type

V-Type Member

This is what I gather from All the stuff Ive read over the past couple years as well.
    Mike even said He wanted too work with Sam between Ed's stints.
    Cant fault Ed or MA.
    Crap happens and honestly VH sounds better imo than I have heard in 30 years.

15. Ben R

Ben R Member

Exactly.

Look, I have no personal ill feelings for Michael Anthony. But, I just love how he has evolved (through revisionist history) into John Entwistle, Paul McCartney, Geddy Lee, etc. I keep saying this, but it's true... When I was a kid, he was the Ringo Star. The afterthought member of that band. He definitely made contributions. But, he was never considered to be the essential cog in the machine until he was no longer in the band. It would have been fun to still have him involved. But, Wolfgang is great and has re-focused / inspired Eddie. We would never have gotten an album as good as this new one without Wolfgang being in the band and around his dad all the time. I'm sure of it. His playing, youthful energy, and positive influence on Ed were essential to this happening.

16. 83stratman

83stratman Member

I can't believe how ****ing BLISTERING these guys are sounding right now! I don't think I have EVER heard VH sound this good before!

17. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

dude, I'm telling you the Louisville concert SMOKED. Not one mistake or obvious flub (other than an advertisement for Best Buy on the back screen for about 2 seconds). Band played as one continuous song with hardly a break in between. Solo spots were concise and Ed's renditions of earlier music was spot-on. Much, much better than when he's given liberty to just noodle around.

I could really care less about DLR having a head set, and there were obvious times where backing enhancements were used, but for ONCE they played Jump without all the screw-ups associated with Eddie trying to play keyboards and guitar and figthing with his guitar cord. Nit picking about the vocal harmonies is ridiculous.

If I were to lodge complaints, I'd say the band's interaction with the audience was lacking - but these high-dollar crowds don't get very crazy. I'd also say that Everybody Wants Some seemed a bit plodding and unenergized. Also, there wasn't really an encore. When it's done, it's done. Finally, Ed's solo spot is a little tired...could have used some dynamics like fog, isolated spotlights, or something new. But...thank god it wasn't 15 minutes of whammy bar crushing.

Can't stress how much this show kicked butt.

18. Ben R

Ben R Member

Great! T-minus 12 days and counting until i see a show. I can't wait.

19. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^

DLR looks/acts REALLY old!

20. pete692

pete692 Silver Supporting Member

MA, and all his boosters, they created a myth. Look, I love the guy as much as the next VH fan, but when he went with Sammy, probably out of boredom, he was basically doing what Dave did way back when and apparently you just don't go and do your own **** and stay in Van Halen at the same time. I was very angry and skeptical about the band kicking him out, AND bringing in Eddie's kid when it first happened. But it works, and not only that, the music speaks for itself. I simply can't think of the VH lineup now without Wolfie in it. It's a new chapter, and I'm on board. This isn't even a compromise, like all those years some of us lied to ourselves and pretended we liked Sammy and his blustery bag of **** love song lyrics. It's a no brainer. Wolfie has a specific job to perform and to my ears he is just as good as the guy he replaced.