? for ASAT Special owners

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by frisco kid, Jul 28, 2008.

1. frisco kid

frisco kid Member

Anyone have a problem with their MFD neck p'up being so much hotter than the bridge? There's a huge difference in mine...guess I could just switch them and see if that helps but would prefer they were more balanced. Also, anyone try the Rio Grande or Nordstrand replacement p'ups for their ASAT's?

2. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

Is it hotter, or just louder? If you have a meter, you can measure what's coming out of the the jack. I suspect it's just too close and the bridge pup is too low.

I had Rios in mine, but I put the MFDs back in. I've seen a lot of people go back to the stock pups.

3. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

No problem here. I don't think you can swap the pups because of the alignment of the pole pieces in the two pups; anyone care to chime in? JA Greg? I'd just adjust the height of the pups 'til you get a good match. -E

4. frisco kid

frisco kid Member

I've tried adjusting the pickup AND pole heights to no avail...it's not just 'louder'... with gain it appears the neck pickup distorts more than the bridge, i.e. hotter. FWIW, the neck pickup is pure heaven...with the semi-hollow body, it's like the guitar is breathing when the note blooms.

5. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

Is it new? Have a tech do a reading and contact G&L if the bridge pup is just too weak. It may be defective. I've owned a few and never had that problem. With the bridge pup, the message was always loud and clear.

6. geetarman

geetarman Member

I have two ASAT Specials and neither have that problem that's odd.

7. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

Nope. The neck sounds quite different but the two are very balanced as far as volume goes. I've found the pole piece adjustment to be key; even moreso than pup height on these.

8. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I think you got a bum bridge pickup; contact Dave an 'em at G + L and see what they can do.

I would not try mixing G + L MFDs with other pickups; the output is too different from the others.

9. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

First off, you can't switch them. The neck pup has different string spacing from the bridge pup.

Adjust the bridge pup up towards the strings, and the neck away from the strings. Tweek the individual pole pieces. You'll get a nice balance

10. BuddyGuit

BuddyGuit Supporting Member

Mine sounds fine to me.

11. frisco kid

frisco kid Member

Thanks for the responses so far...I'll try and contact G&L for a new bridge p'up. Adjustments didn't help and at low volumes it's obvious there's too vast a difference in output.