For cheap OD to ride-the-volume cleans what beats a Pro JR?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dewey decibel, Feb 4, 2015.

1. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    I wanna get a little guy, around 15 watts I guess, for overdriven sounds. Seems like a used Pro Junior can be had for $300 any day of the week, is there anything out there that competes? I'm having a hard time finding clips of what I remember them sounding like (not a lot of good PJ clips online), but I remember the OD sounding more british than tweed. Like the end of this clip (although a different cab):

Or this one:

I can go head/cab (I'd probably end up grabbing a cab for the PJ anyway for when I need it). Was thinking about a Tiny Terror, but those are considerably more $$$, even used. There was awhile where that handwired Ampeg Jet was around for $400 or so, but I don't see them anymore. I see a lot of recommendations for those VHT amps like the 12/20, I have yet to try one but not impressed by the clips.

I'm not going for any particular sound, just some nice dynamic OD, tighter and less fuzzy than a tweed but not modern sounding either. Brownface Fender (like a Deluxe) I think would be perfect. I want OD, not distortion...

2. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Member

Maybe a Diamond Positron? Or some other Marshall 18 watter type?

3. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Member

4. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

For the price, nothing beats it IMO. And they weigh what, like 15 lbs? I do think they do better through a 1x12, so I would probably wanna have someone build a light pine cab for it if I was gonna be gigging it out.

The old ones are way better though - the new Pro Jr IIIs buzz so ******** much even at idle they're almost unusable, and it's not worth spending almost the price of admission to go in and mod it or redo the lead dress to fix the problem.

5. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I haven't heard any amp whose sound was not compromised by a 10 inch speaker.
    YT clips are not a good comparative source, as recording is a special application.
    Run the PJ against another amp A/B to find out if it works, for you.

6. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

No other amp matches the Pro Jr. for the money used and small size. There are other good amps that are great at going from clean to overdrive with just a guitar volume control, like a tweed Deluxe, but they are more money and larger/heavier.

7. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Marshall Class 5 or the Tiny Terror you mentioned. The Marshall would be about the same price, much prefer the sound. Tiny Terror is great too, but like you said, more money. I tried to like the Pro Jr, but just don't like the sound of it pushed. The Blues Jr is better imo. Used Peavey Delta Blues or Classic 30 aren't too much more $$. The Delta has a sweet tremolo.

8. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Z Carmen Ghia... for the price a Delta Blues or PJ is good sounding... but aint a Ghia...