For hard rock - Hellhound or Blue Velvet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sage97, Feb 3, 2006.

1. sage97

sage97 Member

Need to make a decision by the end of the day but can't find a lot of clips on these babies. Need to do GnR, ACDC type tones and the occasional nu-metal tones. Plan to use a Hot British and a Tonecore Ubermetal pedal as needed.

Based on my online research, I think the BV may be more suited for these sounds. I understand the Hellhound was not designed with these higher gain tones in mind but there's a used one in excellent shape that may also do the job for a whole lot less.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. bickertfan

bickertfan Member

Can't speak for the BV but I have a Hellhound and use a Hot British as well. To me the Hellhound does the Fender Deluxe thing the best. The Hot British is decent with it but I like to have the amp setup with a little breakup and I think the H British works better on a totally clean amp. Not a horrible choice by any means for the Marshall sounds your after but of the amps I've owned I would prefer an 800 series or Jubilee for that application.

3. sage97

sage97 Member

Thanks bickertfan.

What I'm hearing you say is, the HH can do it but not that great. Am I correct?

4. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

The Hellhound's are to my ears a Fender/American sound...I think you want more of an English sound...Haven't heard a Blue Velvet, But Bruce Zinky's an amazing Amp Designer....I'd bet on the Zinky...FWIW, The parts used are far better than the Chinese Hellhounds'...:BluesBros :BluesBros :BluesBros

5. sage97

sage97 Member

Thanks for your input Rod. Exactly the kind of advice I needed.

6. onemind

onemind Member

The blue velvet excels on High Gain sounds, it's loud enough to gig, and is a channel switcher, it would get my vote, Clean Headroom is not its forte, but the reverb sounds good and it's usable.

7. sage97

sage97 Member

Thanks onemind.

Rod,

Doesn't the Hellhound have a US/UK schizo switch?

Excuse this dumb question but just for clarification purposes what is an example of a song that has Fender/American distortion? I think I know what UK sounds like.

8. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Hi...Yes, the Hellhounds had the US/UK switch, but the mids in the UK sound just didn't sound right to my ears. Kind of nasally, like those Chinese pignose tube amps..I'm sure the components had something to do t=with that as well.....An American sounding distortion would be,,, Trey Anastasio from Phish...and I think he uses Tubescreamers as well???:BluesBros

9. dbx

dbx Supporting Member

In the interest of "fair and balanced" reporting, please read this short article by Joe Naylor addressing the similarities and differences between the Hellhound and Pignose G60 amps:

http://www.reverendguitars.com/reverend/faq/pig_vs_hell.html

Enjoy... :BEER

10. Plan9FOS

Plan9FOS Member

I use a Kingsnake head , which has more mid grind than the Hellhound, along with a Fulltone OCD ... and I play nothing but classic/hard rock. I know it is not one of the choices, but I owned both Hellhound and Kingsnake heads, and the Kingsnake cranked in 20 watt mode on the UK side with the mids and bass up really crunches better than the Hellhound.

11. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I owned a Hellhound for a few years and recently took a BV out for a spin. With no pedals, the Zinky is THE one for hard rock. But, a hot pedal in front of the Hellhound puts it squarely in the running. I did a lot of hard rock with a V-stack classic in front of my Hellhound and it most definitely got the job done.

jon

12. sage97

sage97 Member

Thanks Doc. Very interesting webpage. I work with a lof of MDs, a few of whom are ER docs.

I've decided to go with the Zinky. While the HH seems to be a great amp, the Zinky seems to be the better choice for hard rock and the occasional nu-metal. Previous threads indicate that it also offers good tones for low volume home jamming which seals the deal for me.

Thanks everyone.

13. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Sage, don't forget that the Zinky comes in 25 and 50W versions. If you need any clean headroom at volume, the 50 might suit your needs better. But, the 25 is pretty damn impressive.

And, thanks for checking my website.

jon