For me, there is no better guitar than a Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Magnets And Melodies, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

Yes, another Gibson thread, but let me share a new perspective to the countless regurgitations we see posted on TGP in the last week or so.

This whole video thing brought up a lot of emotions in a lot of people, including myself initially. With all the discussions that were picking Gibson apart, from marketing techniques to quality control to my own pleas for them to make a production guitar with long tenons and true ABR1's.... There's one thing that I kept going back to in my mind, which is...

I've played hundreds of guitars, but I've never played one better than a Custom Shop Les Paul.

I've played all the alternatives that people tout about, and I've tried modding and souping up Gibson USA Les Paul's to get them as close to CS's as I could... I've heard all the arguments and counter arguments against tonewoods and electronics and hardware and all the things people go on about not mattering these days....

But when I pick up my CME LP's from the Custom Shop, none of that matters at all, because they're the best guitars I've ever played.

Describing why that is will just invoke a lot of buzz words... and those of us on TGP who have the same experience have been trying to pinpoint "why" they're so great for years... attributing it to craftsmanship, better quality woods, long tenons, hide glues, ABR1's, lightweight hardware, electronics, general worksmanship, etc etc.... but it seems to be a useless effort to attribute it to any 1 thing.

In the end, trying to understand fully WHY they're so great is kind of pointless... because it'll never take away the fact that... they just are! All things combined, when I pick them up and play them, it still keeps blowing me away. They feel absolutely perfect for everything I'd ever want to do with a guitar. It's effortless to get the sound I want, and feels like an extension of myself when I'm playing.

When I am holding one of these 2 Les Paul's pictured below, the rest of the world melts away, and I'm just left with a perfect guitar, and a huge smile on my face.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Funky54, BADHAK, bsacamano and 83 others like this.
  2. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Gibson Geezer Silver Supporting Member

Can't afford a CS, but I do have an 09 Standard Goldtop coming tomorrow!
    :banana

(see pg 10 ;))

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  3. MusicalMan

MusicalMan Member

@Magnets And Melodies, you REALLY need to stop posting pictures of your gorgeous R9 (bottom pic). I am trying so very much to convince myself I don't need one of these... Aww, who are we kidding here. I'm going to get one hopefully soon enough. I'm pathetically weak :D

I agree Gibson Custom Shop makes some very fine instruments. I have 2 of them and they are absolutely great guitars. They cost a pretty penny, but they are worth it for the serious guitarist who wants a spectacular guitar. I have not one regret getting these... They are guitars that you can buy for a lifetime investment in your guitar abilities. Not saying that someone HAS TO buy one, but once you get one, you will understand what I'm saying here. Good post @Magnets And Melodies!

Oh, and don't take me seriously about your R9 pics. I want to look, haha!

4. DeadLazy

DeadLazy Member

I’m not a Gibson player but I know the feeling.

I just don’t jive with strats that aren’t Fender.

I’ll just echo sort of what you said: It doesn’t really matter why, they just do.

5. Sirloin

Sirloin Member

6. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

Where's the blue tape?

7. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Supporting Member

I have a guitar we can't talk about that is a step up but have no real complaints with Gibson reissues. Aftermarket electronics are better, older models had a crappy nut, that's about it. Awesome guitars. If you can't get greats tones out of them, it's not the guitar that's at fault.

I don't think limited editions are any better or special than the regular stuff, just different. If you're looking to add another, maybe try a Made 2 Measure.

goddot and coltonius like this.
  8. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    I concur with all the gentlemen who have posted above^.

9. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

For sure. I could never afford a CS model but still love my regular one:
    [​IMG]
    My other guitar is in the shop right now but its always fun to pull out my Les Paul. Surprisingly its quite light around 8.6 pounds and I always liked how it looked. Fretboard is decently dark as well. Might not be as fancy as some but it plays like a million dollars in my hands and I've worked the nitro in on the neck well that its pretty smooth. Great guitar, will keep it forever.

10. JedimasterPaul

JedimasterPaul Supporting Member

Love my '16 TH58. Great guitar right out of the box.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    Funky54, rauchman, mrfett and 4 others like this.
  11. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

Not sure why people feel the need to post these things as though to defend themselves against people who don't like what they like or play different guitars...it's really a very simple concept: play what ya want, and let others do the same. I have a few LPs that I prefer to custom shop Gibsons that cost less than 1/4th of what the CS Gibsons cost. I've also played a few Gibson guitars that were amazing, but I just didn't feel they were worth the price tag versus what you get from a company like Suhr, for example. I don't feel that people who love Gibsons are wrong, I just know what's right for me and where I'm willing to spend my money.

I don't think this post brings up anything new...people who love Gibson will love Gibson, and people who hate Gibson will hate Gibson. Neither side will change the other one's mind, so at this point it really is just :horse

12. Pablo

Pablo Member

Those are indeed gorgeous instruments and am happy to hear that you found your “home”.

I have one of the classic love/hate relationships with Gibson: I probably record more rythm tracks with my Les Paul than any other guitar that I own (I usually have my Kotzen Tele to one side and my LP to the other), but that G-string is simply never going to keep perfect tune and the ergonomics leave quite a bit to be desired, when compared to... pretty much anything, really.

With all that said, I tried a lot of Gibson dogs (including Gibson CS) before I lucked into my decidedly excellent, dirt cheap and butt ugly LPJ on Columbus Day sale in NYC some five years ago... I went to New York with a healthy budget for a Les Paul, I ran the racks and left with a $500 LPJ... I didn’t see that one coming!

Since then, I’ve been looking for a better and prettier Les Paul and I was honestly getting pretty darn interested in the new Standard 50s, but then Agnesi and co.’s Play-Authentic-gate struck and I reminded myself that whilst I love the tone and love the aesthetics of a nice Les Paul, it will probably never be my main fiddle... and I prefer to not sponsor companies that employ questionable litigious business tactics.

Anyway, here is my dirt cheap, darn ugly Gibson... I love it and will never sell it:
    [​IMG]

13. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

I’m a lawyer, so initially I was mostly interested because of how bad most of the discussion related to the legal aspect was. At UVA we had a class that was literally about “IP law and the music business” and we went through the PRS v Gibson case, being taught by the world’s foremost expert on trademark law. So, I had thoughts, purely based on the legal aspect.

But like the OP, when it comes to the guitars, I just... don’t care about any of this. Gibson can do what they see fit and they’ll either settle out of court or they’ll win or lose in court (spoiler alert, if it goes to court they’ll lose).

But when I pick up my Gibsons... I just don’t care about any of that. Why would I? What in the world does that have to do with the sound a Les Paul makes when coming out of a Marshall? What in the world does any of this have to do with the way a 59 style carve feels on my hands.

Unlike the OP, my feelings aren’t relegated to custom shop stuff, I have a Memphis 335 and a 2019 traditional that I feel that way about. When I bought the traditional, I had the money saved for a used R9, but of the ones I played, I liked that particular traditional better. But I get the general feeling the OP is expressing.

None of that is to say Gibson is perfect and blameless. But... I just can’t even fathom being as upset about all this as some people seem to be.

I’ve (briefly) met Mark Agnesi. He’s a solid dude, with strong opinions, who has always loved Gibson, even before his current job. I just can’t fathom people personally attacking him the way I’ve seen based on a YouTube video that was pulled.

It’s just all so... weird to me.

Crank up a Marshall, plug in a Les Paul, and forget this noise. That’s all it is. Noise. If you’re interested in the legal ramifications, by all means. But... the emotional response to this has just been... something to behold.

14. Magnets And Melodies

So, you mean, stop posting pictures like this one???
    [​IMG]

15. Magnets And Melodies

Didn't realize I had to be on the cutting edge of new content to post anything on TGP lol.

It's my perspective, and I feel compelled to share it (considering how much time I spend on TGP). That's what forums are for.

dalezjc, Baracus, kookaburra and 3 others like this.
  16. romo

romo Supporting Member

Beautiful guitars! I ended up selling my Gibson Custom guitars because I had the same feelings you describe the first time I played Collings. Gibson Custom is making some fine instruments, so if they speak to you, play them! I also found mine very inspiring until I started down a different path.

nixpix, KestnerGS, Lt Dak and 2 others like this.
  17. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

I’m happy you’re happy! :aok

beezer likes this.
  18. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

In what way? I've seen this get thrown around a lot but I've had no issues with a Gibson headstock ever. And the whole thing about the breakage, I've seen almost every brand with a broken headstock at this point. If you're not completely careless, I really don't know how someone manages to break them off:

[​IMG]

With a well setup guitar and proper lubricant, 99% of any tuning problems will be gone.

Funky54 and Whiskey N Beans like this.
  19. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

No I get it, I didn't mean any offense. It's just that you specifically wrote about this being a "new perspective" to what we've been seeing and it really isn't at least based on the threads that have been around here in the past, so I was curious if there was more to it.

20. data_null

data_null Member

Really? You can't understand why he wants to talk about his guitars, in a positive way, on a guitar related forum? It's really a very simple concept.

It's certainly a more productive topic than all the trolling and hysterics in the Gibson bashing threads.