For me, there is no better guitar than a Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Magnets And Melodies, Jul 2, 2019.

1. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

Finding that "one" guitar is always a blessing. I've got a couple CS guitars and they are truly amazing... but to give every side it's fair shake, my "one" is a lowly studio!!!!

Imagine picking a studio over the R7 sitting next to it!!!! Yet I do.

I'm pleased to hear you found "the one"... make it sing!

e???, Magnets And Melodies and goddot like this.
  2. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Supporting Member

A lb lighter than my 73 Custom. Beautiful guitars !

3. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Yeah, any Tele made from ash can really vary in weight. I got one at home that is only 6.8 pounds but I picked one up at a store one day that was 11.5 pounds, I couldn't believe it but some ash can get really heavy just like mahogany. Alder wood I find varies from 7-8.5 pounds, I don't think I've seen anything more/less.

4. LR1400

LR1400 Member

Agreed. My R9 is the best guitar ive played.

Magnets And Melodies likes this.
  5. Silent Sound

Silent Sound Member

I almost bought a Gibson LP once. I went into GC, money in hand, looking to buy a Guild Bluesbird. This was back in the 90's when Guild actually made stuff in the USA. I had always wanted one. I don't remember why, maybe they didn't have it in the color I wanted or something, but they said they'd have to order it. So the salesman says, " before I put in the order, why don't you try the real thing". He then drops a beautiful Gibson Les Paul Standard onto my lap. I immediately fell in love! The tone! The quality of construction! It was all there. Except the feel of the neck. Maybe I was just raised on Strats, but it just wasn't comfortable to me. So the salesman says, "let's try this", and pulls down a PRS McCarty. Done. Immediately bought it and have never purchased another electric guitar in my life. No need to. I found the one.

6. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

While the body weights vary a ton, the companies sort them for many models, which adds to the premium.

I have a wildwood R4 with a solid 1-piece, unrelieved mahogany back, and the whole thing weighs just under 8 lbs.

e??? likes this.
  7. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Gibson Geezer Silver Supporting Member

Not to step on your thread M & M, but since I have 25 likes on this post I thought I'd better make good. :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2009 Standard, BB Pros, locking Grovers, Neutrik jack & PCB.
    I dig the clear smoke cavity cover! Seller provided a replacement standard jack w/plug-in if I want to swap it out.
    It plays beautifully, sounds Godly through my TSL601.
    I'm the 3rd owner, it's lived in a studio it's whole life, never been gigged.
    It's virtually flawless, I can't find anything wrong!

8. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

Congrats! I love GoldTops!

9. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Gibson Geezer Silver Supporting Member

My first 'real' one. Had a 2016 Tribute w/Bigsby that I traded away, this one's the keeper!

Magnets And Melodies likes this.
  10. JaiRamana

JaiRamana Member

Absolutely.

For me there really are only these two guitars. The rest are just variations of them. In a cover band, you need both really. Of course an HSS Strat can get you what you need in a pinch but it can still never quite replace a LP. And I love that 24-3/4" scale, so fast!

But I also do love the single coil sounds for certain applications and no LP can touch that. I admit, I was playing my old Robin Trower covers with a LP copy the other day and I was really loving it! Unfortunately, Gibson's quality has been an issue and their prices are ridiculous. I may never own the real thing and that's okay too. There are some incredible copies these days for 1/10 to 1/5 the price. You have to go custom shop to get the quality a standard once was IMHO.

11. JaiRamana

JaiRamana Member

yeah, I wish he did Les Pauls like the partscaster Strats he does, but you can send him one and he does his magic. If money was no object I'd buy a real deal and send it to him for that magic...but after a nearly $4K amp and thousands in various other gear, my wife would be burying me out on boot hill! And it'd be too damn late to write a song about it.

I got a Vintage brand LP copy that is impossible to beat for the $550 new price tag, complete with a real thick Maple top--no veneer (which is just such a key feature of a real LP tone it cannot be left out if you want anything to come close to a LP.) It's heavy as the real deal too at 9lbs. It's a beauty to look at and plays nice. But it has issues I still need to resolve with it all the same. Once I'm done though I'd put it up against any real deal LP and it will hold its own I'm sure. (Got the lemon drop, though to me it doesn't look much like a LP lemon drop actually does, more like a red burst).

27sauce likes this.
  12. guitarbilly74

guitarbilly74 Supporting Member

Mine are not CS (Traditional and Classic) but I feel the same way. Les Paul is "home" for me. I have other good guitars and tried many times to find a different #1 but always kept coming back to my LPs so eventually I stopped trying and now I just accept that I am in fact, a Les Paul player. Like you said, I am not sure why, I can think of other guitars that are faster, lighter, better upper fret access you name it. But they're not home. That's just the way it is.

Texsunburst59 likes this.
  13. JaiRamana

JaiRamana Member

I confess, there was a time I did not like Strats one iota and could not for the life of me understand what anyone saw in them, so I can relate my friend. I also hated them with a passion in my younger days. But as time went on and tastes and exposure changed and morphed as life will do, I became infatuated and smitten by that single-coil romance. I blame Jimmy Hendrix, SRV, Robin Trower, David Gilmore, tube amps, good speakers, and the like for the disease (course some that list is why we love LPs too!).

I met an old time player when we were playing as a house band up in Virginia City at the Red Dog years back, for the life of me I can't remember his name (I'm a disaster with names). He played in a group with a lady that was a killer B3 organ player doing all the foot pedals. Really cool and an honor to meet and play on the same stage with them. He had christmas cards in his case from Both Leo Fender and Les Paul himself. Anyway, the reality is these two axes are what rock and roll / blues history were written with and I dearly love them both each in their own way. Both are genius designs that inform every other electric guitar ever made.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    e??? likes this.
  14. SkydogFan81

SkydogFan81 Supporting Member

Not making up stuff here, I owned one in 2005 and it weighed over 11lbs with grovers and was swiss cheesed. Looks like these are lighter, still not interested (only one of the short falls). I moved on from USA's over a decade ago, but obviously YMMV. :fisticuffs

15. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

Probably should have mentioned you were talking about experiences from well over a decade ago when you were speaking authoritatively about what non custom shop guitars are like.

16. dyna

dyna Member

[​IMG]

I am happy for the OP who loves his CS Les Pauls.
    Me, I have ran into many not so special Les Pauls, both CS and USA factory-made.
    And some good ones too, of course :)
    I´m lucky to be perfectly content with my recently acquired 2007 honeyburst Standard.
    Those Burstbucker Pros might be a little on the bright side - other than that I have no complaints.
    One piece body, lovely neck, 8.1 lbs.
    And for 1500 USD it suits my wallet.

17. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

I think the better fact to hone in on is that, no matter what year, each individual guitar will differ from one another. We can't paint a brush on any given year or lineup. You'll always be able to find good examples, and bad examples, in any line of any year. It's all about trying out many untill you find the one that just "has it".

MusicalMan likes this.
  18. BeardoCI

BeardoCI Member

Lovely guitars OP.
    I guess I'm fairly lucky in that as far as Les Pauls go, I only really like Studios - saves me a ton of cash :D

19. FStrat_man68

FStrat_man68 Member

As a die hard Fender Custom Shop relic stratocaster fan and owner of a Michael Landau Black 1968 heavy relic strat and a 1957 heavy relic 2TSB strat I must admit that the "right" Gibson CS Les Paul sits on the top of the hill.

The aged Murphy Les Paul customs are incredible!!! Especially the 59 VOS. I would trade in my strats immediately for that one for sure.

20. patshep

patshep Supporting Member

that's great, it's not a bad price, i don't play les pauls much, but they seem insanely overpriced for the average person...
    I've played a ton of crap Gibsons and a lot of good ones, to me, the bonus is that the resale stays high, the negative is that you really do have to try a bunch to get a good one, i cant think of another product that charges 'luxury' prices and often doesn't provide quality... however, the 335 to me is the best design ever, besides a tele... and although a lot of them are duds, a good one is special to me.
    i'm currently GASing for a goldtop with p90s