For me, there is no better guitar than a Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul.

AprioriMark

Silver Supporting Member
I'm glad you've settled on your perfect guitars. It's funny (in a good way) to me that I dumped all my CS Gibsons and haven't missed them at all, and you're trying everything out and coming back to yours.

My plan is to wait a bit for the new Gibson to get settled and then see where the CS is at. The one thing I'm lacking right now is a super nice LP Custom (sold a 78 a few years ago). I've come to understand that I'm not a burst guy. I want a CS wine red Custom and a CS lightweight R6 with a black (ebony; whatever Gibson) top and clear back and neck.

Maybe by the end of summer, I will be able to make one of those happen without my wife stabbing me in my sleep with a dull spork. I'm kidding, but I've spent 22k on guitars this year, and while I've returned almost that in guitars sold, I need to take a beat and assess what I need and what I want.

-Mark

70' s Tone

I'd say it's a tie. The other would be a Bill Nash Strat. I say that for 2 reasons:

1.) Greatest guitar has always been a tie between a Les Paul and Strat. Each can do things they other cannot and each are a must have in your herd.
2.) But on the Fender side I'd go Bill Nash rather than Fender custom shop, because the custom shop really is not Better, but costs many thousands more. So with the money you save with Bill Nash you get better pickups (lollars) and can spend the rest on your choice of Best Amp! :)
For you it's a tie and I respect that a lot!

For me, I dislike Strats about as much as I love these 2 Les Pauls. Polar opposite in my world.

Luckily these things are very personal and each can enjoy what they enjoy without worry about what others say or think.
Gibson's solution (viable alternative) to the Fender Strat... ;)
Gibson Melody Maker III
https://www.chicagomusicexchange.co...dy-maker-iii-sparkling-burgundy-1966/25446850
I like it! :)

KenG

I hadn't actually heard of the made to measure thing, good to know. I just knew that Fender and other companies had custom shops where you could actually customize your guitar, whereas Gibson's "custom shop" seemed to just be fancy standards.
Even before the custom shop people could order guitars with different attributes. Norms Rare Guitars, Jimmy Wallace etc. Today folks like Wildwood, Andertons, still get special runs for their store.

porterburst

Silver Supporting Member
I like many different types of guitars, but I'm a huge LP's player, and love my Gibson Custom Shop LP's.

Murphy Aged Duane Allman 59 Dark Burst #32

Murphy Aged Dickey Betts 57 Gold Top dark back:

2017 True Historic Spec Collectors Choice #43 58 Mick Ralphs:

JaiRamana

Gibson's solution (viable alternative) to the Fender Strat... ;)
Gibson Melody Maker III
https://www.chicagomusicexchange.co...dy-maker-iii-sparkling-burgundy-1966/25446850
I like it! :)
Yeah...no. That's one ugly beast with an ugly price tag to boot. I'll keep the Fender strat. Have a Vintage strat also. Wouldn't trade either for that monstrosity. (IMO of course, to each their own of course. Never like the SG kind of look at all). Looks are only 2% of it for me, but it's still a critical 2%.

Gclef

Nice guitars!

Though I feel that one can insert any guitar or brand and come up with the same story.

It is glorious when you find the right guitar. Or 2.

majorminor

I had to jot them all down to refresh my memory, but I've had 13ea 2005-2014 custom shop Gibson electrics go thru my hands in the last 10 years. Most used, a few new, Les Pauls and 335's mostly and one Historic ES175. ONE of those guitars was a 2013 Tobacco R8 that due to some borderline neck binding ledges was somewhat deserving of the quality bashing that goes on around here and it was from one of those "like new but no warranty" guys. All the rest had excellent fit and finish and playability and and were at least "representative" tonally. Sometimes I read some of the Gibson quality threads and am wondering what all the fuss is about?

Trending Topics