For me, there is no better guitar than a Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Magnets And Melodies, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Rossi163

Rossi163 Supporting Member

I concur. I've had boatloads of guitars over the years, new, used and vintage, and two particular Gibson Custom Shop LP's rank in the top 5 for me out of hundreds I've had. Here's my brand-new-to-me 2014 R7 and it is a stellar guitar in every way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JWhite

JWhite Member

$2700 here in Canada.

Magnets And Melodies likes this.
  3. porterburst

porterburst Supporting Member

I like many different types of guitars, but I'm a huge LP's player, and love my Gibson Custom Shop LP's.

Murphy Aged Duane Allman 59 Dark Burst #32

[​IMG]

Murphy Aged Dickey Betts 57 Gold Top dark back:

[​IMG]

2017 True Historic Spec Collectors Choice #43 58 Mick Ralphs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. JaiRamana

JaiRamana Member

Yeah...no. That's one ugly beast with an ugly price tag to boot. I'll keep the Fender strat. Have a Vintage strat also. Wouldn't trade either for that monstrosity. (IMO of course, to each their own of course. Never like the SG kind of look at all). Looks are only 2% of it for me, but it's still a critical 2%.

5. Gclef

Gclef Member

Nice guitars!

Though I feel that one can insert any guitar or brand and come up with the same story.

It is glorious when you find the right guitar. Or 2.

6. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

:eek:

Well, at least you folks have a viable healthcare system. ;)

e??? likes this.
  7. majorminor

majorminor Silver Supporting Member

I had to jot them all down to refresh my memory, but I've had 13ea 2005-2014 custom shop Gibson electrics go thru my hands in the last 10 years. Most used, a few new, Les Pauls and 335's mostly and one Historic ES175. ONE of those guitars was a 2013 Tobacco R8 that due to some borderline neck binding ledges was somewhat deserving of the quality bashing that goes on around here and it was from one of those "like new but no warranty" guys. All the rest had excellent fit and finish and playability and and were at least "representative" tonally. Sometimes I read some of the Gibson quality threads and am wondering what all the fuss is about?

8. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Nice lookin' guitfiddle! Ain't that great when you find a guitar that's a perfect fit:)?

LP's/humbuckers aren't my cup of tone but TGP would be a boring place if we all liked the same things!

Now make a joyful noise...I sure try to:D!!

Magnets And Melodies likes this.
  9. misterturtlehead

misterturtlehead Member

I have played some Custom Shop Les Pauls. I have one I like- a 1999 R6. It is awesome but not quite as awesome as my 1974 Deluxe or 1957 TV Model.

10. 3940bigdaddy

3940bigdaddy Supporting Member

For me they are just tools. Just like any tool the LP might be the best for certain applications. I own a bunch of CS LP's. Same with Fender Custom Shops. No guitar can do it all.;););)

11. paulvcarter

paulvcarter Member

12. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

I would love a '57 TV Yellow Special!

Just curious, have you tried any of the CS Reissue LP's within the last few years? Curious to hear your thoughts on them.

porterburst likes this.
  13. Magnets And Melodies

Most of the Gibson quality threads are aimed at the Gibson USA production run stuff and not the Custom Shop guitars. I get it - I've played many USA's that were off... but can't say I've played many CS LP's that weren't great.. (There was one, but it didn't have any quality problems, it just didn't sound as good as the others IMO).

Wizard of Ozz and porterburst like this.
  14. JaiRamana

JaiRamana Member

My (non Gibson) LP

St Petersburg likes this.
  15. Magnets And Melodies

CS LP's + Carr Amps is my oasis. A formula I swear by.

porterburst likes this.
  16. misterturtlehead

misterturtlehead Member

The 1950s TV Models and Specials were in limed mahogany. Gibson didn't use the term "TV yellow" until much later.

Until I got my Les Paul Deluxe, my first Les Paul, the most awesome Les Paul I had played was a friend's late 1990s Custom Shop Les Paul. It was in cherry and had two humbuckers and a Bigsby. At the time I played it, in the late 1990s, I wanted to eventually find and buy a Les Paul that I liked as much as that one. It wasn't until 2007 that I could afford my own Les Paul. My favorite guitar store had six to eight mostly new Custom Shop Les Pauls- an R4, an R6, an R7, and a few sunbursts. They were all nice. They all played really well and sounded really good. My favorite was the R4. But in another room in the store they had a 1974 Deluxe. I liked it more than the Custom Shop Les Pauls. I am pretty sure the 2007 Custom Shop Les Pauls were the most recent Custom Shop Les Pauls I've played.

Besides the TV Model I have three Gibsons from the same era- a 1952 ES-150, 1956 ES-175D, and a 1960 ES-330TD. They all have, for me, perfect necks. A couple years ago a friend who owns a guitar store asked me if I had any guitars for sale. I did not. But since he had a store with its inventory listed online I looked at his inventory and saw the 1957 TV Model. I thought for a few minutes and decided that I would be interested in trading some of my guitars, but not my 1950s Gibsons or Les Paul Deluxe, for the TV Model if I had any guitars he was interested in. I told him which guitars I had and would be willing to trade. He told me which ones he liked and asked me if there was another guitar in his inventory I might also be interested in. He came to my house with the TV Model and a few other guitars. I traded five guitars for the TV Model and the 1999 R6.

The 1957 TV Model is the most awesome electric guitar and the most awesome Les Paul I have ever played. I like the R6. Its neck is about the same size and shape as the necks on my 1950s Gibsons. But the R6's neck feels different than the TV Model's. I reckon the R6's neck is more slick and the TV Model's is more smooth. The R6 has nice sounding P-90 pickups. But it is a slightly different flavor than the P-90s on my older Gibsons. This is good. I don't necessarily want two Les Pauls that sound exactly alike. I also have an eight or ten year old set neck Epiphone "Custom Shop Limited Edition" Les Paul Special. It has a slightly different flavor than my TV Model and R6. But, like the TV Model and R6, it has a nice neck and sounds really good.

17. waltkh5

waltkh5 Member

Can't disagree. Love my '02 R8
    [​IMG]

18. GreatSatan

GreatSatan Member

you'd certainly hope so, it being a 'custom' and how much you pay for the Privilege of playing Authenticâ„¢

19. Magnets And Melodies

20. duality

duality Supporting Member