For me, there is no better guitar than a Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul.

eigentone

Silver Supporting Member
Glad you found what makes you happy @Magnets And Melodies ! :beer

My #1 is a 2014 Gibson Custom Long Scale (25.5") Les Paul. Here it is as a newborn:

It's not 100% stock now anymore but remains my #1. This model is really rare, so I grabbed a few while they were readily available. The first I bought happens to be my favorite of the three.

JaiRamana

That’s just a regular USA model
Not by the time Bill’s done with it tho. At that point in may play and sound better than a CS. However I’d ask for Lollar imperials rather than dimarzios. Never been a fan of dimarzios.

27sauce

Not by the time Bill’s done with it tho. At that point in may play and sound better than a CS. However I’d ask for Lollar imperials rather than dimarzios. Never been a fan of dimarzios.
I don’t know, it is what it is regardless of how it may sound.

A $1400 guitar with some changed parts and beat up paint for $4500.

I don’t know, it is what it is regardless of how it sounds.

I'm with you on this. I'm sure he does an amazing job on finishing and hardware & component swaps and things.. but unless you change the wood & construction of the guitar, then the guitars inherent sound won't change a whole lot... And most of the things that will change the sound are things you can do yourself for way less money, like hardware and pickup swaps. In the end the guitar is still the same guitar.

JaiRamana

I don’t know, it is what it is regardless of how it sounds.

It didn’t start out as a les Paul standard? That’s what I took it to be which start out at $2500. Sorry if I misunderstood.

In my book much as I love em, anything over $2500 is not something I’ll buy. I’m satisfied with my $550 knock off. 75% of your tone is in your amp and your fingers anyway.

27sauce

It didn’t start out as a les Paul standard? That’s what I took it to be which start out at $2500. Sorry if I misunderstood.

In my book much as I love em, anything over $2500 is not something I’ll buy. I’m satisfied with my $550 knock off. 75% of your tone is in your amp and your fingers anyway.
Yeah, it’s a Standard, but was used before he got to it. It’s an ‘05 model. You can find the those for $1400-$1700. Fairly often.

Hell of a lot of markup.

Coopster

I have one of those. Never play it. Only have it because I FEEL like I need it. Don't actually enjoy it, just have memories of wanting it. Funny how that works.

JaiRamana

Yeah, it’s a Standard, but was used before he got to it. It’s an ‘05 model. You can find the those for $1400-$1700. Fairly often.

Hell of a lot of markup.
Yes and no. When you read what they do it’s many many man hours and highly technical work...all in the US. So I can see both sides of the argument. It’s like boutique amps. They cost a lot but all the work and materials that go into it and really they’re not making a killing off you by any means. Get what you pay for? At least on some cases yes.

Will I pay $4500 for any guitar? Hell no!

27sauce

Yes and no. When you read what they do it’s many many man hours and highly technical work...all in the US. So I can see both sides of the argument. It’s like boutique amps. They cost a lot but all the work and materials that go into it and really they’re not making a killing off you by any means. Get what you pay for? At least on some cases yes.

Will I pay $4500 for any guitar? Hell no!
True.

What’s highly technical about it?
Compared to the historic makeover thing, where they recarve tops, replace fretboard, re set necks....

JaiRamana

True.

What’s highly technical about it?
Compared to the historic makeover thing, where they recarve tops, replace fretboard, re set necks....
There’s a lot in that listing that they do and redo. It’s highly technical in my book as you can’t just pay someone $15/hr and expect good consistent outcomes. They have to be at least excellent techs and have excellent luthiers on hand as well. Probably hundreds of years of experience between the team members I’d imagine. I can see it being a lot of labor costs along with significant raw material costs (I work in research and development in another field in my day job so hard not to be mindful of how this kind of stuff can go). RMs alone can be surprisingly expensive.

martyman

yeah, I wish he did Les Pauls like the partscaster Strats he does, but you can send him one and he does his magic. If money was no object I'd buy a real deal and send it to him for that magic...but after a nearly $4K amp and thousands in various other gear, my wife would be burying me out on boot hill! And it'd be too damn late to write a song about it.

I got a Vintage brand LP copy that is impossible to beat for the $550 new price tag, complete with a real thick Maple top--no veneer (which is just such a key feature of a real LP tone it cannot be left out if you want anything to come close to a LP.) It's heavy as the real deal too at 9lbs. It's a beauty to look at and plays nice. But it has issues I still need to resolve with it all the same. Once I'm done though I'd put it up against any real deal LP and it will hold its own I'm sure. (Got the lemon drop, though to me it doesn't look much like a LP lemon drop actually does, more like a red burst).
Can you say something about the issues? I have my eye on the Vintage AFD 100 as something I can travel with. Would probably go to SD Alnico 2's. I've seen reviews that rate it above the Epi Slash models that sell for twice the price. Any info appreciated.

JaiRamana

Can you say something about the issues? I have my eye on the Vintage AFD 100 as something I can travel with. Would probably go to SD Alnico 2's. I've seen reviews that rate it above the Epi Slash models that sell for twice the price. Any info appreciated.
I will say the Vintage will most likely surprise and delight you.

Two things: the stock Wilkinson pups are very good. Good enough I think the SDs would be not as good. I have two Vintage guitars now and the pickups in both cases are very much on point and well done.

My only warning is in both cases I did not end up keeping the stock tuners. I replaced both guitars tuners with Grover locking tuners and they are now both very stable incredible playing and sounding guitars.

My lemon drop les Paul in particular is gorgeous and just looks feels and sounds like the real thing and everyone I’ve had play it was blown away by it.

In my research both the lemon drop (Gary Moore) and the AFD (Slash) models have true maple caps not just veneers. It is an authentic sound and weight that results. Wilkinson was tight with Leo fender and Les Paul and they even shared vintage pup winding techniques with him in the pickup side. These are sick guitars for dirt cheap you just need to be willing to do a set up and change out the tuners. Let us know what you do and how it goes.

JaiRamana

Glad you found what makes you happy @Magnets And Melodies ! :beer

My #1 is a 2014 Gibson Custom Long Scale (25.5") Les Paul. Here it is as a newborn:

It's not 100% stock now anymore but remains my #1. This model is really rare, so I grabbed a few while they were readily available. The first I bought happens to be my favorite of the three.

I confess I sometimes drool over the Buckethead model which is a 27.5” scale!

Trending Topics